The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 27, 2011, 03:49 PM   #1
ChaseA

First Gun Purchase

Searching for a good revolver. I have handled guns in the past, but am a beginner by all means. I would like a versatile gun that I could use on the range, for target practice, and also for concealment at times. This wouldn’t be an every day occurrence, but for times when my wife and I are in rougher parts of town or out for a late night walk. I don’t want something too big, but I want something that isn’t so small that I sacrifice accuracy. Any Ideas?

-Chase
Old January 27, 2011, 03:50 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

S&W 686... 4 inch
Old January 27, 2011, 04:28 PM   #3
MrBorland

A 3" or 4" Smith & Wesson k-frame .357 mag (e.g., Models 13, 19, 65 or 66) is about as close to an all-arounder as you'll find, IMO. Unfortunately, S&W no longer makes k-frame .357mags, but you can still find the fixed-sighted 13s and 65s used (3" 19s and 66s are very rare, and priced accordingly).

The 4" versions would be easier to find, and would be a bit better for target work, but the 3" versions carry easier and have near-perfect balance, IMHO.

A Ruger SP101 .357mag is another very popular choice.
Old January 27, 2011, 05:33 PM   #4
ChaseA

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I don't know much, but it seems from my searching that the .357 mag is the most common revolver. Many have suggested that the 9mm doesn't make for a good revolver. Is this true?
Old January 27, 2011, 05:55 PM   #5
jimbob86

Quote:
S&W no longer makes k-frame .357mags,
You s'pose there's a good reason for that? Mehbee those k-frames were not up to a steady diet of .357's?

For what the OP stated his purposes were:
Quote:
I would like a versatile gun that I could use on the range, for target practice, and also for concealment at times.
I'd suggest a Ruger GP-100 with a 4 inch barrel. If that were deemed too large, then a 3 1/16" sp101 in either .357 or .327 magnum.

The Rugers' steel frame and generous use of steel therein makes them heavy for their size ...... recoil is much nicer than a similar chambering by S&W or others..... since it will be shot more than carried, that'd be the way to go.

Last edited by jimbob86; January 27, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old January 27, 2011, 06:04 PM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
I don't know much, but it seems from my searching that the .357 mag is the most common revolver. Many have suggested that the 9mm doesn't make for a good revolver. Is this true?
The 9mm is a rimless cartridge, headspacing on the case mouth. Revolver cartridges like .357 magnum, .327 magnum. .38 special , etc. are rimmed cartridges- the have a large rim at the back end that holds them in place in the cylinder..... There are 9mm revolvers out there, but they have been built to have space behind the cylinder for "moon clips" that keep the rimless 9mm cartridges from dropping through the cylinder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_clip
Old January 27, 2011, 06:21 PM   #7
MrBorland

Quote:
Mehbee those k-frames were not up to a steady diet of .357's?
Who said anything about a steady diet? The real-world beauty of a .357mag k-frame is that is can be used as a .38spl, but also as a .357mag when needed.

As far as the 9mm revolver, they exist, but the idea never really caught on. Not only because it requires moonclips, but the 9mm cartridge is a bit tapered. Straight-walled cartridges like the .38 & .357 do much better in revolvers. On top of that, a 9mm revolver has nowhere near the versatility of a .357mag.
Old January 27, 2011, 06:27 PM   #8
MrBorland

Quote:
headspacing on the case mouth.

"moon clips" that keep the rimless 9mm cartridges from dropping through the cylinder.
"Free" rounds won't drop through the cylinder precisely because they headspace on the case mouth (that, and the 9mm cartridge is tapered). In fact, they'll fire too. Trouble is, they won't eject without a moonclip. You'd have to open the cylinder and poke them out individually with a pen.
Old January 27, 2011, 06:35 PM   #9
myrdraal0

ChaseA, I was in your same position several years ago and decided to go with the Ruger SP101 (I had spent my life around rifles, but never really owned a handgun). It was a nice gun; but, once I realized how much I love to shoot, I ended up switching pretty quickly to a pistol. That first revolver just went to my dad as a Christmas present about 2 years ago with only a couple hundred rounds through it.

Anyway, I'm not saying the revolver is a bad choice - it isn't. I'm just saying that, if you're planning on spending time at the range, a pistol can also be a great beginner gun.

FWIW.
Old January 27, 2011, 06:54 PM   #10
Buzzcook

Find a use S&W K-frame .38 special. A bit less expensive than a .357.
Old January 27, 2011, 08:15 PM   #11
roaddog28

Hi Chase,
You did not mention the caliber of revolver. Based on what your saying and the fact your wife may use the revolver I would recommend a S&W model 10,15,64 and 67. These are 38 special revolvers any make fine first revolvers. You don't have to shoot 357s to enjoy your revolver. And for home defense and self defense a 38 special is more than enough to get the job done. Most women do not like the recoil of a 357 and plus ammo is expense. The used market is full of good quality S&W K frame 38 specials. Shop around.
Good luck,
Howard
Old January 27, 2011, 10:17 PM   #12
jcsturgeon

Basically you just have to read up on a lot of different models, realistically you're just going to get one that your local gun shop has in stock, so don't get married to a particular piece. Determine a few basic criteria (caliber, double action vs. double action only, size etc.) and when you go to the gun shop look at the selection. Feel free to ask lots of questions and handle lots of different guns before choosing. Most gun shops are more than happy to show off their selection.

My best advice though is to look for one that shoots .38 or .357. The rounds are pretty easy to get and .38 is MUCH cheaper than .357 and is a great target round. Also, I greatly prefer double action to double action only. On a double action you can cock the hammer before firing which makes target practice a lot easier. Double action only has the hammer concealed in the frame (like this.) As for size, try a couple on for size, you'd be surprised how large a pistol most people can conceal. Probably a barrel up for 4'' would still work.

Whichever gun you get, when you get it home the first step is to RTFM . Many people don't even bother but you should familiarize yourself with everything about your new gun! It also may be worthwhile to invest in some snap caps. You can practice loading the revolver and storing it with the cylinder loaded with snap caps can keep the dust out.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:22 PM   #13
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
I'd suggest a Ruger GP-100 with a 4 inch barrel. If that were deemed too large, then a 3 1/16" sp101 in either .357 or .327 magnum
That's a great suggestion right there, although the 3 1/16 might be tough to find if your not shopping online. Depending on your budget, you may want to look into a S&W pro series. They are exactly what your needs dictate and all around excellent revolvers.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:26 PM   #14
jcsturgeon

I had a GP 100 once but sold it. It was a damn fine shooter, but I am just not that big on wheel guns. Fits all my previous suggestions too.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:30 PM   #15
WESHOOT2

Glock M19.
Plastic.

CZ75.
Metal.
Old January 27, 2011, 11:55 PM   #16
pilpens

For revovlers, S&W 686/586 or Ruger GP100 are safe bets but maybe too big for concealment.
I would go with a model .38 S&W model 64 3" or a Ruger SP101.
As a starter pistol, I would not spend too much on it. See how it feels.
Old January 28, 2011, 04:03 AM   #17
8shot357

I think the SP101 (.357mag) is a very good choice, tough little gun backed up by a tough company.

I have an 3" model, not my favorite carry peace (but good enough), but it sounds like a versatile gun for you, and your needs.
Old January 28, 2011, 09:38 PM   #18
Wolfeye

People have already mentioned several good all-around revolvers. I'd like to add the Charter Arms Target Mag Pug to the list; it's a compact .38/.357 with a 4" barrel, which is about right for practice, plinking targets, and part-time concealment.

A few bits of advice:
  • shoot .38 specials more than .357 magnums; shooting a lot of magnums can lead to flinching
  • be sure to clean out the chambers if switching between specials and magnums
  • stick with barrels that are about 3-4", since they will be moderately easy to conceal but also give you enough barrel length to target practice with
  • choose a model with adjustable sights... while they might catch on clothing when drawing out of concealment, they're nice to have at the range
  • grips are your friend: it's easy to find a grip for any size hand, so there's no reason not to have one that's right for you or your wife
  • don't be surprised if you end up selling this first gun and buying a different one later on; your tastes might change with experience
  • take a class if you can, since they often let you try a lot of different handguns

Good luck!
Old January 28, 2011, 09:51 PM   #19
jimbob86

Quote:
realistically you're just going to get one that your local gun shop has in stock, so don't get married to a particular piece.
Quote:
That's a great suggestion right there, although the 3 1/16 might be tough to find if your not shopping online.
Maybe I'm spoiled, but there are at least 3 places within 30 miles of me that have several flavors or sp101's, new and used...... why would such a popular revolver be hard to find?

The nearest indoor range has one to rent, IIRC.... and will do FFL transfers for like 25$ if you find something online...... is the rest of the country not as well served by gun stores, or am I really living the Good Life and did not even realize it?
Old January 28, 2011, 09:56 PM   #20
jimbob86

Quote:
grips are your friend: it's easy to find a grip for any size hand, so there's no reason not to have one that's right for you or your wife
I found a reason: The aftermarket Hogue grips for the sp101 make firing full house .357's more comfortable, but they also make using a speed loader ...... problematic. It also is rubber, and causes a t-shirt to "climb" it..... very bad ju-ju for a carry gun. I put the stock grips back on, and shoot .38's for practice, mostly.
Old January 29, 2011, 01:22 AM   #21
WildBill45

Too much to ask for one gun!

Target to CCW is too big of a spread. A gun that does everything, exists in mediocracy, and does nothing great! Pick one and start there, a full size S&W, or go CCW, smaller, shorter, and lighter. S&W is like a fine sword, fast, balanced, and deadly. Rugers are good guns, but bulky, and a bit of a cluge ... not refined with terrible triggers. Guns without a great trigger are a bore!

Later pick the other end of the spectrum.
Old January 29, 2011, 04:20 AM   #22
SadistAssassin

sp101 3" 357

Tags
beginner , concealed carry , revolver , versatile