The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 26, 2005, 01:24 PM   #26
artsmom

Patrick MacManus for entertainment and humor of all of his books. (Favorite line: "A lot of people confuse "edible" with "good to eat". There are hundreds of edible plants in the woods, but only two are "good to eat".

Peter Hathaway Capstick for African hunting and a mastery of storytelling.

Ross Seyfreid for scorn and ridicule in magazine articles, Rick Jamison for the work he puts into his articles.

Jim Corbett's book "Maneaters of Kumaon" for an engrossing subject of tigers and leopards gone bad.
Old April 27, 2005, 01:05 PM   #27
HunterTRW

I would be remiss if I didn't mention my hunting mentor, the late Gene Hill. His A Hunter's Fireside Book is responsible for inspiring me to take up the gun in pursuit of game. He taught me that hunting, if done in the proper spirit, will allow me to bring home much, much more than just a bird or venison for the table.

As the late Ed Zern said in his quotation on this book's rear cover, "Gene Hill's writing blends a country boy's deep, almost religious feeling for the out-of-doors with a city man's wit and sophistication. This isn't surprising because he's both--and the result is one of the best outdoor books in several coons' ages." I couldn't have said it any better.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old May 30, 2005, 09:41 AM   #28
HunterTRW

cjwartes' post on the Solunar Tables reminded me of John Alden Knight, another of my favorite hunting authors. His books titled Woodcock and Ruffed Grouse should be required reading for anyone who aspires to the title of "Upland Game Hunter." Lots of good information in both, and well-written, too.

Good luck, and good shooting!
Old June 7, 2005, 02:32 PM   #29
Malamute

Elmer Keith, Peter Hathaway Capstick, Theodore Roosevelt.
Old June 7, 2005, 08:09 PM   #30
butch50

Pat McManus
Ed Zern
Russel Tinsley
Robert Ruark

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old June 7, 2005, 08:29 PM   #31
38splfan

More for the list.

For purely technical information, I enjoy Craig Boddington and Jim Zumbo. Mr. Boddington offers us insight on the rifle as used on large game in various manners, usually describing one of his many African hunts to do so.

Mr. Zumbo, it seems, has much knowledge on all things North American, most noteably Elk. However, he also shares information on sheep, various deer, and bear.

For entertainment value, I also like Bill Heavy, who writes for Feild and Stream. His stories are almost always humorous and light-hearted, which is a welcome break from the usual techno-babble about the new .234 winchester super short belted magnum moly tipped alloy cased game grabbing super bullet. Also, his occasional editorial and "A Sportsman's Life" column are regular monthly entertainment.
Old June 11, 2005, 02:26 PM   #32
22-rimfire

For those that are reading this thread, I have been reading old Gun Digest of late since I have quite a few of them. There are a lot of really interesting stories in those books... perfect for the BR. You can pick these up pretty cheaply on ebay as they (or most) really aren't collector items. Of late, I have been reading stories written by the gun writers about the 44 magnum as the article in this months Shooting Times (An American Legend Turns 50 by Glenn Barnes) has spurred some historical interest on my part.