The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 31, 2012, 04:25 PM   #76
ss30378

40 s&w, why? Because I found the 10mm!!!
Old October 31, 2012, 05:00 PM   #77
Hal

#1 - by far the .357mag.
It was a disappointment to me from the very first shot.

W/in a couple of weeks, after shooting my new Blackhawk .38/.357 mag, I picked up a .44mag Virginian Dragoon.
First time I pulled the trigger on that, it was,,,hell yeah - that's more like it!.

#2 - the .380 acp.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:16 AM   #78
chanroc

I haven't given up on it, but I've become disenchanted on the .40 S&W. I still respect the round, especially with today's defensive rounds. I just don't enjoy shooting it much now.

I did rekindle my old flame for the .38 SPL the last couple of years and I never lost my love for the .22 LR. I love shooting my .45 Colt, but it's way expensive and until I learn how to reload, I'll save it for special occasions.

I never stopped shooting the 9mm, but I have slowed down shooting the .45 ACP.

Sent from my A510 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by chanroc; November 1, 2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old November 1, 2012, 02:31 PM   #79
Sevens

I read the entire thread and I can only respond in the complete opposite of the topic -- if I am to respond truthfully.

In .22LR, I had a K-22 and a Ruger KMK-512. I liked both, but never felt the need or want to get any more .22LR handguns. Why? Until I did. My GSG 1911-22 is incredibly fun to shoot and though it's not as accurate as either of the previously mentioned, it's a rolling riot to shoot. Not since I was a kid would I put 500+ rounds through a .22 in one range session...now I do it again and again with this pistol. And I've got eight handguns chambered in .22LR these days, and I'm not done yet!

I loathed the 9mm before I ever owned one because all my "guns and shooting" when I was a young teenager was BB/pellet and reading Guns & Ammo. Jeff Cooper had me hatin' on the 9mm though I had no experience of my own. I bought one in 1994 only because I had the extra cash and Clinton's Crime Bill made it seem like a good gamble. Going in to that purchase with a chip on my shoulder and an attitude didn't help -- I still didn't like 9mm and that pistol (Taurus PT-99AF) was always on the chopping block though I never did sell it. Though I'd been handloading for a long time, I never bothered to load 9mm, focusing on my other calibers instead. Well, somewhere around the late 90's, I started to handload for it and my pistol began to run VERY WELL and was a lot more accurate to boot.

I agreed to "start fresh" with the 9mm and I've since added five more 9mm guns and I'm quite sure I'm not finished. And I still have the PT-99AF and though it's not a tack driver, it will mow down steel plates with aplomb.

.357 Magnum was lost on me because the ammo cost so much more than .38 Special and when I began handloading, I had only the single die set and the idea of changing all my adjustments that were set up perfectly for terrific .38 Special loads just to make .357 Magnum seemed foolish. So I went years and years and years without really doing much, if any, .357 Magnum shooting.

In reflection, it was a great time for me to fall head over heels in love with all the joy of .38 Special, but these days...I'm pretty sure I love the .357 Magnum much more. I've bought a number of them and I tend to shoot .357 through them most often. Most recently a Coonan, which was kind of like a "dream gun" when I was a kid. I go through stretches, typically they last for the better part of a spring/summer/fall shooting season, and there's no doubt that this year -- it's been a whole lot of .357 Magnum.

I did get a second die set, btw. And that truly did make all the difference. .357 is now my most interesting round at the load bench, too, as I load in all kinds of different bullet weights, shapes and compositions. It's simply been a lot of fun to continually try new things with the same old round. .357 Magnum was -THE- first center fire round I ever touched off in my life-- from a four inch Ruger Security Six. It's kind of like coming full circle that I appreciate and love it so much today.

Sorry for the length!
Old November 3, 2012, 09:53 PM   #80
Creek Henry

Hmm

22LR, the 22mag is 10x the round

9mm, for a compact CHL it is fine... That's about it for usefulness. At one time I just had to have one though.
Old November 3, 2012, 10:47 PM   #81
The Great Mahoo

I hate to say it, but I've become a bit disenchanted with the 10mm. Years ago, I was gifted a beautiful Springfield 1911 style in 10mm and loved it. Handled great, loads of fun to shoot, and no question about the power. Sadly, the cost wore me down and now it just sits in my safe. Every now and then I cross a new (used) 10mm in some store or some place and I think about buying it. Then I think of how little I would get to shoot it, since I don't have the time to reload these days....

.357 sig never really caught on with me, either. I like the specs that I've seen on it in reading about it, but everytime I actually shoot one, I don't like it. Haven't handled one in years now, but I wouldn't be keen on buying one till I shot someone else' to know that I would like it.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:16 AM   #82
jhenry

I do not believe I have ever become disenchanted with a handgun round.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:06 PM   #83
cornbush

357 mag, if I want power I'll go to the 44 mag or 45 colt, if I want light loads I'll go to the 45 colt or 45 acp in my Blackhawk, or 9mm Hi-Power.

I don't even have a 357 anymore, gave all the brass and bullets to my brothers and I have not missed it one bit.
Old November 10, 2012, 06:51 PM   #84
Nail Shooter

32 Auto. Recoil is pretty uncomfortable because of the microscopic size of most 32 auto pistols.

Nail
Old November 11, 2012, 09:34 AM   #85
Malamute

Quote:
...I had only the single die set and the idea of changing all my adjustments that were set up perfectly for terrific .38 Special loads just to make .357 Magnum seemed foolish...

Your die set didnt come with a spacer ring? Mine did, I use it for 38/357 and 44 spl/mag. The spacer isn't perfect, but works well enough. I rarely mess with the adjustments when switching between the different lengths, just use the spacer ring.

The 32 auto in the 1903 Colts is a fun round. If I could afford a clean 1903 and ammo or components, I'd shoot that gun and cartridge quite a bit. I regret selling the ones I had in the past
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old November 11, 2012, 12:03 PM   #86
Sevens

Nope, never came with any kind of spacer. I simply bought another die set and I've been rolling ever since, and have made more .357 Magnum since getting that set than .38 Special -- though I've made a lot of both.
Old November 12, 2012, 03:47 PM   #87
carprivershooter

I don't dislike the 380, or 9 mm but they are not a round I find adequate. I shot a lot of 35738+p, 45acp, 45 colt, 44mag/44spl.and of course 22 lr.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:17 PM   #88
xkalifornian

When I first became fully enthusiastic with the pistol, I wasn't too enamored with the 9mm, .22lr or the .380. Now it's just the .380.
I do believe a well placed shot with any round can do the job though.
Old November 12, 2012, 11:23 PM   #89
Deja vu

I was a big 17HMR fan for about 18 months. Then one day I saw a guy that was shooting about the same size group as Iwas shooting and he was using a 22lr. With the price of ammo I decided that the 22 LR would be a better fit and traded in my 17HMR for a 10/22 + change.

did I mention here in the Rocky Mountains of Idaho there is a lot of wind? The 17HMR seems to be more effected by the wind than the 22.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old November 13, 2012, 02:46 AM   #90
chipchip

.22LR, like .223 better
Old November 13, 2012, 12:16 PM   #91
coldbeer

17 HMR I just had to have a 17 HMR rifle when they first came out but I rarely shoot it anymore.
Old November 13, 2012, 04:02 PM   #92
K4THRYN

Before CCW became really popular, I got a beretta 3032 tomcat in .32acp.

As far as the gun itself, I can't bear to part with it, as it makes all the other pocket pistols i've tried feel like pieces of junk. It's very accurate, DA/SA, tip up barrel, awesome trigger, precise sights, fits like a glove in the hand, etc.

But I've come to feel that .32 acp round itself doesn't quite cut it. Mind you, I can put 8 rounds of .32 through that gun into a baseball sized hole at 15m, more rapidly than I can put 6 .380's through any of the tiny .380's I've tried into more like basketball sized groups... I just wish they'd make a tip-up beretta in .380.

anyway, the .32acp caliber itself has lost it's luster for me.

I've held off on all of the various compact 380's due to reliability, durability, and ergonomic issues galore. Every single one i've tried (most of them) had some very serious drawbacks or compromises. I'd like a .380 or perhaps a .38 snubbie, or even a tiny 9mm to replace my 3032 with more firepower. But I think no matter what I get I'll miss the tomcat itself, in terms of how the gun handles.
Old November 13, 2012, 04:06 PM   #93
Guv

44 Magnum. As a young man those 44's seemed so massive and intimidating, they seemed almost unreal. Now 30+ years later while I still totally respect and like the round that "magic" has long worn off. Kinda like that first time you saw a nice pair of..............Youth, where did it go.
Old November 13, 2012, 04:13 PM   #94
Guv

K4THRYN,

I have a couple of Tomcats also and you are right on the money! Well made and much more accurate than they need to be, excellent little pistols!
Old November 13, 2012, 07:50 PM   #95
Edward429451

I've been dis-enchanted with the 50 BMG round. I've wanted one of those for most of my life and never got one. I would not buy one now because the young man Gi Joe mall ninja whatever, has wore off as I've gotten older and I've learned that 99.999999% of everything that needs doing with arms can be done with a 308/180 or other lesser but select cartridges.

I even turned down an offer to shoot a Bolt McMillan 50 at the range one day a few years ago now. He was a big ol boy, twice my size and it was settin' him and his folding chair back almost two feet when he would touch one off. It did not look like fun. I'm not big at 6'/170. I'd prolly give a semi-auto Barret a go but no way with those 50 Bolt guns. If someone gave me one, I'd sell it off immediately without even shooting it, and buy several really fun guns. An assortment of top shelf .22 Target Rifles, perhaps.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:12 PM   #96
COSteve

• 22mag - Why? I can handload 125grn 357mag cheaper.
  • 25acp - Useless in a pistol.
  • 380 - Darn near useless in a pistol.
  • 9mm - Tepid performance so 357mag, 40s&w, 45acp, and 10mm are better choices.
  • 41mag - Too much recoil and too heavy in available platforms. Expensive even handloading.
  • 44mag - Too much recoil and too heavy in available platforms. Expensive even handloading.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:28 PM   #97
PT-92

Quote:
COSteve

25acp - Useless in a pistol.
380 - Darn near useless in a pistol.
9mm - Tepid performance ...
This ought to get interesting...
Old November 14, 2012, 02:34 PM   #98
9mm

380, sold em. Rather have 9mm, just a tiny bit bigger and no problem to conceal it.

Quote:
25acp - Useless in a pistol.
What other than pistol is it useful then ? Maybe rifle?
Old November 14, 2012, 02:48 PM   #99
Sevens

Quote:
9mm - Tepid performance so 357mag, 40s&w, 45acp, and 10mm are better choices.
In my safe, I have .357 Mag, .40 S&W, .45 Auto and 10mm, and more but I simply don't have a better choice for dropping steel plates than my 17-rd 9mm.

It's accurate. It's outrageously cheap to handload and it doesn't matter if I pick up my brass. It drops every plate that manage to hit with it. It runs flawlessly and doesn't choke or stop. It doesn't muzzle-flip much which help me put the sights on the next target smoothly.

If there's a better setup for fun & enjoyment at a wide range with many steel plates, I'm not sure what it is.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:51 PM   #100
PT-92

9mm

Yeah--Tepid performance "maybe" via FMJ testing--but given today's advancements in ammo technology, I don't see anything tepid about it. But that's me.