The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 9, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1
rose728751

honady factory cridical defence ammo, re-crimp or not

The question is should i taper crimp hornady cridical defence ammo to keep the bullet from setting back into the case. I have seen some you tube videos that show the bullet set back in the case.
Thanks

http://youtu.be/JGpXaWwlg1Q

Last edited by rose728751; September 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:40 PM   #2
engineermike

Why don't you call Hornady and ask if they crimp their critical defense ammo. If you have shot this ammo and not had any of them "set back" then I don't know if I would worry about it.

I've got some 9mm critical defense ammo and it looks like there is a cannelure on the bullet so I would guess that there is no problem with set back there. Same thing in the 38 special load, be a shame to have a cannelure and not crimp. Mine are loaded with the "Patented FTX Bullet" for reference. But again, I would call Hornady and ask if they had/have a problem with this ammo.
Old September 9, 2011, 10:49 PM   #3
rose728751

I just found a thread that was posed by Sturmgewehre and read the posts Thanks for the info (I do my own reloads so taper crimping is less tha a second to do) Just wasnt complety sure about crimping factory defencive ammo.

Thank you all
Old September 10, 2011, 08:41 AM   #4
steve4102

The "crimp" on a 45 ACP is not there to secure the bullet. It is applied only to remove the flare, plus maybe a .001 more to aid in feeding. Apply more crimp to a factory round will not help secure the bullet, in fact to much crimp can reduce neck tension.

Last edited by steve4102; September 11, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old September 11, 2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Jim243

Quote:
Just wasnt complety sure about crimping factory defencive ammo.

STOP, STOP, STOP ---If the ammo is defective SEND IT BACK!!!!!

Crimping factory ammo will get your gun blownup!!! Pistol ammo is not crimped, revolver ammo IS crimped.

Pistol ammo indexes on the case mouth, if you change that demention by crimping you stand the chance of having the case pushed too far into the chamber and into the barrel, then the pressure will build up because the bullet can not freely move out of the case and will blowback into the magazine, firing pin hole, take the slide off the rails as well as destroying the barrel and your HAND about the same reaction as firing after a squib (blocked barrel).

If I haven't scared you enough to not do this, remember you are voiding the warranty on your handgun and your life insurance company will not payout to your beneficariy because you commited suicide.

Don't take my word on this, do a search on this site on, "I blew up my gun"

Jim

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=blownup

Last edited by Jim243; September 11, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old September 11, 2011, 05:33 PM   #6
res45

Factory ammo that head spaces on the case mouth already has a taper crimp applied to it. The reason most people get bullet setback in ammo used in semi auto pistol is repeating cycling the ammo or the same rd. from the magazine into the chamber.

The feed ramp on some pistols have a very steel angle,the rd. basically just jams itself nose first into the feed ramp before it's pushed up into the chamber by the slide. Repeating cycling the rd. time and time again can cause the bullet to set back further and further each time and eventually if it looses enough tension and is pushed back into the case can cause a high pressure situation to occur and possibly a kaboom.

It's a good idea to take any rds. that you have cycles through the action several time and stand it next to a new factory rd. and visually compare the two. If any setback is observed it would be a good idea to replace the rd. with a factory new one in your magazine and put the other aside to burn at the range if the setback is not excessive otherwise just toss it or break it down and reload it.

Applying any extra taper crimp is just going to make the matter worse because applying excessive taper to the case mouth will decrease bullet tension.
Old September 11, 2011, 07:11 PM   #7
totaldla

No.