The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Have you ever been shot at?
Yes 96 45.28%
No 116 54.72%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 11, 2010, 08:25 PM   #26
ClayInTx

I was driving along I-10 in Florida. Skip details, make long story short.

My windshield was shot at by freeway shooter, two cars running together, young men. I got tag numbers.

Police cannot follow every car to see who’s shooting. No way can they do much about random shootings like this.

However, once started the perps usually think it’s fun and will continue for a while. So—I have tag numbers. Only two cars to watch for.

Called the highway patrol. They didn’t want to hear me. I finally just hung up.

A couple of weeks later I was relating this to two guys at work. One from Missouri, the other from Illinois. As soon as I said I called the police they interrupted with, both at once, “And they didn’t want to hear you!”

Turns out they both had the same experience with police about serious crimes.

And the police wonder why most civilians have an “Us and Them” attitude about police. “We want citizen input.” Yeah, right. BS
Old January 11, 2010, 08:46 PM   #27
Cornbred

When i was about 8 years old my best friend and I were picking blackberrys in the field down from his house. We picked blackberrys to sell to his grandma, who would then make us blackberry cobbler. What a deal. Anyways I digress. Back to topic. As we were walking thru a field getting to our patch. Next thing we know we see several rounds impact the ground and throw dirt in the air, and heard crack of the rounds going off. We were scared poopless turned tail and ran all the way back to the house. We later found out that on top of the hill was a meeting place for some KKK. Dont know if it was because my best friend is black or if we got too close. Anyways we were so scared we never told anyone till many years later.
Old January 11, 2010, 11:11 PM   #28
troy_mclure

spent a year in iraq, shot at with everything from 5.56("friendly fire") to 109mm rocket.

never took a hit(from small arms), but a buddy handing me a bottle of water took one in his sapi plate. if he hadn't stepped right then it would have gotten me in the side.

we got ambushed by a bunch of army reservists once, luckily they really sucked, and only shot out a few tires.

also splattered with gasoline that they tried to jelly into foo gas. glad i didnt return fire then!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 11, 2010, 11:22 PM   #29
TS99

In Iraq, they actually do "whiz" when the go by.
plus the morters and rockets.
Old January 11, 2010, 11:44 PM   #30
FM12

Not yet.But I'm on call thru the week end, so there's still the chance, plus duty daily as a state LEO. Always a possibility for the last 35 years or so. Good score so far!!

Not so good for some of my friends though, had one shot three times (flesh wounds)with his own gun, taken from him in the jail by a mental person (10-96). Officer recovered nicely and currently is the chief of the dept.

Two other of our guys got in ashoot out with 2 escaped bank robbers, our guys won,not injured. Bad guys,not so good. One ofthem now uses the colostomy bag waste removal system for completeing his digestive process.

So, I'm still trying to lay low and be careful. So far,so good.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:32 AM   #31
Dannyl

Hi,
in 3 years of duty in Lebanon I was shot at with most calibers one can think of, from 0.22 to RPG's, 122mm rockets and an IED that was made of a 155 mm canon shell.
Hit twice (0.22 and 7.62x39) from bullets, once a few fragments from a grenade and last was the IED.
As others have said, when under fire, get cover, return fire ( Except when you notice its some idiot from your own army that's shooting at you), tell others where its coming from and apply a pressure dressing on the wound.

As a civilian, no shots have been fired at me.

Brgds,
Danny
Old January 12, 2010, 01:06 AM   #32
Old Wanderer

I had met "a girl", that lived in Los Angeles, Me I was a cowboy and had a ranch 800 miles away..I flew my plane down to have a 1st date with her. Pulled up in front and she came out to the curb to meet me, saying "I really cannot go out with you"..I asked if it was because of her X....she just looked down..about this time some guy peeks around the corner of her building. I decided to go invite him to leave and start walking right at him...BANG a shot sails by me...my response (pretty stupid, but adrenalin kicks in), You SOB and I run right at him, the takes off down the back alley..about 20 strides down the back alley and the brain re-engages...and reminds me how stupid is to chase a guy down holding a pistol.

I went jumped back in the car, drove 45 minutes to my friends house at the beach where i was staying, grabbed my 45 and started out...bunch of people in the living room wanted to know what was wrong...when I told them,,,they started laughing at me...saying "Do you really think he will wait around and hour and a half for you to come back and fight him fair...??????????

Never did see that girl again.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:21 PM   #33
Glenn Dee

Have you ever been shot at?

YES.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:47 PM   #34
Stevie-Ray

While driving to work years ago, I heard something akin to a sledgehammer hitting my car. Figured I hit something, so at 45 mph, I was looking as best I could for debris in the road behind me. There was none. The vehicle seemed alright, so I kind of forgot about it and continued to work. At work, I remembered it while talking to a few friends and decided to check out the car for damage when I got off. I found what appeared to be a .30 caliber hole in the left rear fender down by the bottom and just above a moulding. Still don't know if I was shot at or if it was a stray bullet.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:56 PM   #35
troy_mclure

oh, as a kid our school bus took a 12ga slug to the hood. never found out anything else about it.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 12, 2010, 02:57 PM   #36
onalandline

I was in my father's shop, walking by the front windows when I was a kid, and all of a sudden, whack, there was a bullet hole right in line with me. The shot more than likely came from the school yard across the street. It was night. The bullet was probably a low caliber, and it did not penetrate all the way through the safety glass. My dad was ******, grabbed his Walther PPK that he carries, and wanted to go outside and unload the gun in the direction of the school yard, but he used common sense and restrained himself. Nothing came of the matter. It was kinda scary being a kid and being shot at for whatever reason.
Old January 12, 2010, 03:13 PM   #37
ZeSpectre

Buckshot from a drunken hunter who didn't actually know what his target was and just shot through the bush. Fortunately his aim was off too and the only 'shot that hit me was what deflected off a tree and had lost nearly all of it's energy. I took more damage from wood splinters and diving onto the ground and hitting a sharp rock.

Grazed in the leg once by a .22LR round from an underage 'banger when I surprised him trying to steal a car. He was so mortified that he'd actually fired his gun that he dropped it and started crying.

Yeah, pretty much a charmed life so far.
Old January 12, 2010, 03:22 PM   #38
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeSpectre
Yeah, pretty much a charmed life so far.
That made me laugh, Dale. Getting shot at twice is a charmed life!? That's funny.
Old January 12, 2010, 04:14 PM   #39
Balog

Yep, several times in Iraq. Rifles, medium machine guns (including a 240B in the hands of some Army reservists), RPG's, and once an old Soviet copy of a LAW. Never been hit though, and never shot at in civilian life.
Old January 12, 2010, 04:28 PM   #40
dougmoss12

yes. i lived in portland oregon not a very bad area me and 4 of my friends were walking to a 7/11 and a man open fired hitting a stopsign behind me
Old January 12, 2010, 04:29 PM   #41
Aaron67Camaro

Seems several of us have been "friendly" fired upon while in Iraq. I too was fired upon, at checkpoint 28 (those of you that have been there, especially around the '04-'05 timeframe, will know exactly where this is at) just south of Baghdad on MSR Tampa. We were coming up on the checkpoint when the Marines guarding the checkpoint blasted a three round burst at my lead vehicle. Luckily nobody was hurt. Two rounds actually penetrated the radiator. Good times I tell ya!

Last edited by Aaron67Camaro; January 12, 2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: missed punctuation
Old January 12, 2010, 04:30 PM   #42
hoytinak

Many of times throughout my 6 deployments in the military and an old farmer with rock salt in his 12ga (as a bunch of kids out partying on his land, we deserved it ).
Old January 12, 2010, 04:31 PM   #43
brickeyee

Twice.

Both times without effect.
Old January 12, 2010, 04:48 PM   #44
Cooperhawk

Don't know how many times, but a few. Lot's of 81 MM Mortars.

Worst memory is hearing a rocket coming from behind me. You can tell by the sound that its moving so fast that there is no way you can get out of way, so I just looked up and watched it fly off into the ocean. Figure it missed me by four or five feet.
Don't know where it came from.
(RETIRED)
Old January 12, 2010, 04:49 PM   #45
STEINER

I got shot in the upper arm with a 22 when I was 15. Never been so scared getting away after being shot. I was on a bicycle with a friend. Blood shooting out of my arm. Three guys took off after me and my adrenaline was in the "I am going to die" mode. We flew into a store and the
bad guys took off. Probably a good 1/2 mile chase and I was pretty shook up because for one, I didn't provoke it. No eye contact, no dialog.. just Pow!
This is how it got diffused... store called my mom. She came down. Called the police. Took me to the hospital. Police made out a report. I couldn't identify the shooter (Oakland, Ca.) End of story.
Spent a year in Vietnam and was never a direct target. Just a lot of praying and crossed fingers.
Old January 12, 2010, 05:14 PM   #46
MTT TL

Quote:
That made me laugh, Dale. Getting shot at twice is a charmed life!? That's funny.
Nope, he is right. The getting shot at part is not bad, it is the getting hit part that sucks.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:15 PM   #47
r.w. schrack

Do SSAMS Missles Count?????????????????????????????????
Old January 16, 2010, 08:28 PM   #48
Maser

Was with some friends in a bad part of Sac when I was 13 and had a car load of gangbangers shoot at us. Was the scariest moment of my life. Everything felt like slow motion and I could actually hear the bullets pass by me and hit the ground around me as I was running. Never been back to that part of Sac ever since.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:38 PM   #49
DRice.72

Been shot at by an annoyed farmer a couple of times when in high school. Once fishing on a lake. My buddies and I pulled into a cove to catfish. We had been ther a thousand times. Bout ten minutes after we get there this one night we keep getting swept by a spotlight. We didn't think anything of as we were not doing anything wrong. A few minutes of being swept the light stayed on us and then there was a "whiz" then loud impact sound on the deck of our pontoon boat, followed by the report of the muzzle blast. Needless to say we left as fast as we could!! That was very scary. Once when I was a kid I was sitting leaned up againt a tree when a bullet impacted the tree about 20 feet above my head. I never rember hearing the shot. I don't know if that was an miss gone real bad or what. I just ran to my house. So I guess the three or four times the farmer shot at us (yeah we were kinda slow learners). Then the time on the lake and in the field next to my house.
Old January 16, 2010, 08:53 PM   #50
Drummer101

I have not been shot at (knock on wood), but I have friends who had bullet holes in their house (they moved now) or had been shot at while in a car (indirect target but took out the car behind).
Closed Thread