The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 7, 2001, 05:58 PM   #1
Vyper45

What is the best recoil pad made to fit the M1???

I have a case of federal tactical slugs on the way but for now need more recoil reduction
Old February 7, 2001, 08:06 PM   #2
CoyDog

VYPER45: I just had a Kick-Ez sorbothane pad installed on my M1 S90 earlier this week. I got it from Brownells for about $38. You have to get a special pad to fit the unusual hole spacing on the M1 stock.

I haven't fired the Benelli yet, but I have Kick-Ez on a 375 H&H and a 300 Weatherby, and they work great.
Good Shooting, CoyDog
Old February 7, 2001, 11:24 PM   #3
gaijin

Vyper45,

Probably not what you want to hear, but ...

The M1S90 relies on recoil to properly cycle. Any method of recoil reduction can have an effect on proper cycling. Even adding weight (e.g. SideSaddle) can cause improper cycling of light loads.

If all you shoot is full power buck/slug loads - no problem.

However, if you ever shoot Dove loads, expect type 2 (failure to eject) function failures if you have altered the gun to reduce recoil.

Yes, even a recoil pad can have this effect. Even not "getting into the gun" enough can cause this type of malfunction with light loads.

HTH
Old February 7, 2001, 11:58 PM   #4
Vyper45

I have a PAST ultra mag shoulder pad on the way, dove loads, target, etc. don't bother me, but the indoor range where I have a membership only allows slugs so slugs it is!

Besides, nothing beats a 75 cal hole in a target, with noise louder than a 454 to boot!