The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 11, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1
manta55

Bolt Prob

Hello
I know this is going to sound dumb or trite, but I was doing my regular cleaning of firearms. Took my brother's old Marlin 781 [signed over to me years ago] and got the replacement extractor in place on the bolt [as the enclosed instructions indicated. Just fits one way.]

Decided to take it to my land and sight in in with a scope that I've had for years. [I have never used this rifle.]

Now getting the bolt out was easy. [usual safety checks first] and pull the trigger; out it comes. Cleaned and lightly lubed all. Bolt does not want to return to its home.

Looked at the only diagram I could find on line and line the bolt up as in diagram. Plus instructions that came with it. Will not go in. Have been away from firearms use for about 20 years, so I am starting anew. [Wish it worked like my Savage/Anschutz 54M: press the side lever pull bolt out or slide it in.]

Embarrassing! I constructed a replacement stock for an old shotgun and even built a wooden view camera from scratch and I cannot put the bolt back into the .22 RF. I realize woodworking is not gunsmithing!!!

Any help would be appreciated!

manta55
Old October 12, 2011, 06:13 AM   #2
cerberus65

I have no experience with that particular model but I have a couple that require pulling the trigger to remove the bolt. Are you pulling the trigger as you reinsert the bolt? That's what I have to do with mine.
Old October 13, 2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Bailey Boat

That bolt unscrews into 2 pieces for cleaning. Make sure it's rotated correctly and lined up with the receiver correctly.