The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Ozzieman

VihtaVuori Savutonta Ruutia

VihtaVuori Savutonta Ruutia
Or other wise know as N133.
I was given an 8 pound plastic container of N133 from a good friend that is moving and getting out of reloading. The container was sealed and the lot date is 2006.
I have found some good .223 loading data on the powder at VihtaVuori’s web site. The burn rate is a little faster than 4895 which is my favorite powder.
Was wondering if any one else has used it, on what and what’s your opinion.
Thanks all.
Old March 26, 2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Wildalaska

You will find it generally to be extremely consistent and condusive to accuracy.

8 pounds at todays proices is about $400 retail

WildgreatpowderbutexpensiveAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old March 27, 2011, 07:10 PM   #3
That'll Do

It's a horrible, horrible powder, terribly inaccurate.

Send it to me (I'll pay the shipping) for proper disposal through my AR.
Seriously, like WildAK said, it's good stuff, well known for producing accurate ammo.
Old March 28, 2011, 12:02 PM   #4
amamnn

N-133 is the go to powder for short range BR shooters using the 6ppc cartridge, which is almost everyone seriously competing. I have not found it to be my best choice in the .223 rem. While VihtaVuori powder is a bit more expensive than some others, it is not 400.00 per 8 pounds--even at Sinclair............16 pounds, almost..................

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/si...POWDER___8_LBS
Old March 28, 2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

I really like the 2 Vihtavuori pistol powders I have tried. They are very clean burning over a range of pressures. I just stumbled across a couple of containers of them that had been on the back of the shelf for 12-15 years. They still had their original price tags on them and were cheaper than current prices for Hodgdon or Alliant. For pistol shooting, I might continue to use some of it after I use this up, since I can get about 1000 rounds out of a pound. For rifle shooting? I'm sure it's good stuff, but I guess it would depend on how much of it I intend to use. It is pretty expensive compared to Hodgdon and Alliant. If it's for a hunting load that I might only go through 100 rounds per year, then the extra money is well spent. But if it was for plinking and I used 5000 rounds per year, well probably not.

Wildalaska's costs were pretty ... wild. You can buy 8 lbs from Powder Valley for $172 today. Yeah, more expensive than 8 lbs of H4895 for $140, but not $400.
Old March 28, 2011, 01:06 PM   #6
jimbob86

Wildalaska's prices are for Alaska, no? Alaska is not Siberia, but you can (reportedly) see it from there......

I understand things can be spendy at the raggedy edge of the 'verse ....
Old March 28, 2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Doodlebugger45

True, but it's just a hop, skip, and a jump over to Finland from Alaska. Just a jaunt across the North Pole. So, really, it ought to be cheaper in Alaska than way down south here.
Old March 28, 2011, 01:32 PM   #8
jimbob86

I am sure there's a impenetrable jungle of government red tape preventing shipment of propellants directly from Finland to AK ......
Old March 29, 2011, 09:39 AM   #9
amamnn

I've bought N-135 online which sells for the same price as low as $135.00 per 8 pounds plus hazmat. UPS goes to AK. It does not cost 265.00 to get it there. Watch the big online retailers for deals, you can save $$$$$ and contrary to popular opinion, USDOT says you CAN mix powder and primers with other items in an order--some of the retailers will do that and some will not--possibly because of their own policies. Bruno shooter supply will-- in fact they are the ones who told me and they shipped me an order of primers and powder along with some bullets. Saved on shipping and divided the hazmat more efficiently.
Old March 29, 2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

I was going to ask Wild about his shopping habits, too. Powder Valley is not the cheapest on this, but even they are at $172/8 lb.

In general, Vihtavuori Oy makes extremely consistent and clean burning powders for the type they are. This is because, unlike most other companies, they make their own nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine and other constituents. I understand that lets them insist on cotton cellulose instead of wood chips, for example, which cuts down on residue.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 29, 2011, 07:25 PM   #11
Ozzieman

Thanks everyone.
I have 50 cases loaded with test loads and just waiting for warm weather.
Just have to see if I like it better than 4895.
Again thanks.