The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 23, 2010, 07:21 PM   #1
dans3kgt

Savage 340b .222

Hello I got this rifle about a year ago. I really dont use it and was wondering what I should ask for it. It has the weaver mount on it. I will have to look and see if I can rember where the rings are. The rifle is in good condition and shoots great .I have no idea how many rounds have been shot thru it .I have shot about 60 rounds thru it . Here are a couple pictures I have more if you need them

Thanks

Dan Kleinman

Old May 23, 2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Abel

$250 is fair. But you could probably get a little more than that. 350 tops.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:34 PM   #3
dans3kgt

Ok thanks

Could you tell me where the best place would be to sell it? I know there are different laws for different states. I am in ohio . I dont want to break any laws. Is it legal to ship a gun in the mail if your not a dealer?

Thanks

Dan
Old May 24, 2010, 07:11 AM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
No Dan , you can't ship a firearm for sale through the mail or any other way without an FFL holder receiving it . In some states it has to be shipped from an FFL also ! If you look over on the GunBroker.com auction site you should be able to estimate the value of your rifle by doing a smart search on your model . Check the closed auctions for the ones that actually sold not the ones that are currently at auction . A decent .222 , which yours appears to be should bring in the neighborhood of $300.00 . They are an excellent lower end varmint rifle . My uncle had one that he used to carry on the tractor with him in his farm fields . I have no idea how many woodchucks he dispatched with it , but they were many , and with a peep sight to boot !
Old May 25, 2010, 05:19 PM   #5
dans3kgt

what about parts?

Is it leagal to ship gun parts in the mail?

Thanks

Dan
Old May 25, 2010, 11:05 PM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
Is it leagal to ship gun parts in the mail?
If you disassemble the rifle an ship everything but the receiver which is the part stamped with the serial number you can send it all day to anyone you want. If you ship the serial numbered receiver it must be to any one that holds the proper class of Federal Firearms License (FFL). Only the receiver with the serial number is considered the firearm.

Plus it is totally legal for you to ship your frearm to any FFL holder for transfer or repair. There is no requirement that a rifle must be shipped FFL to FFL unless the receiving FFL holder requires it. Only the receiving party must hold an FFL by Federal law, unless that firearm legally belongs to the person receiving it. If you shipped your rifle to a gunsmith to be repaired then once it is repaired the rifle can be shipped directly to you.

Pistols are a different story and a bit more compicated.
Old May 26, 2010, 09:01 PM   #7
dans3kgt

What if the gun in question does not have a serial number??? My rifle was made before savage put serial numbers on there guns. At least thats the way I understand it. There are no numbers on my rifle other than .222

Dan
Old May 26, 2010, 09:49 PM   #8
22-rimfire

Prior to passage of the 1968 Gun Control Act, serial numbers were optional. My brother used to shoot one of these a lot and found it to be sufficiently accurate for hunting. In fact he shot his first whitetail buck with it. I consider it a bit small for deer, but that is all he had. Other Brother has the 340 in 30-30 win. It was his "deer rifle". They were a good basic no-frills rifle. Price should be around what has been posted.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:04 PM   #9
dans3kgt

so if there is no serial number is the reciever concidered a "Part" or is it still a "gun" in the eyes of the law?

Dan
Old September 3, 2010, 11:19 AM   #10
dans3kgt

I just want to bring this back to the top. I may have a buyer but I need to know if I can ship it directly to the new buyer or not

Thanks

Dan
Old September 3, 2010, 11:29 AM   #11
DnPRK

If your buyer is out of state, then you must ship to his FFL dealer of choice. He will then go to his FFL dealer and do the paperwork to take possession of the rifle. Be aware that some FFL dealers do not like receiving rifles from out-of-staters who are not FFLs. If that is the case, you will have to find an FFL dealer local to you and have him ship it to the buyer's FFL dealer. Every time an FFL is involved, there is a fee to pay.

If your buyer lives in the same state (and your state laws allow it), then you can ship directly to him.