The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 22, 2006, 05:49 PM   #1
zima3000

problems with BSA Classic scope

Hello,

So I got this BSA Classic scope (4x, about $20 at Wal-mart) and put it on Marlin Model 60. At the range I zeroed it in and was at 100 yards already when suddenly (I didn't drop the gun, didn't hit the scope, nothing, just reload (tubular magazine) the scope goes totally out of alignment, I can't even hit the white and have to start at 25 yards again. Which was next day because it was late already. So, next day exactly the same thing happened - everything is fine, I'm dialing it in, 25 yards -50-100 - boom! I reload and it's totally out of whack again.

After the first day I made sure it's secured on the gun real good and that nothing shakes inside.

So, should I assume that it's just a cheap scope problem, take it back to the store and get something better?

Thanks!
Old October 23, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

Quote:
when suddenly (I didn't drop the gun, didn't hit the scope, nothing, just reload (tubular magazine) the scope goes totally out of alignment,
Yes, that happens with BSAs. They are junk. Good scopes & rings are a MUST if your goal is to hit what you're aiming at. Put that one into the circular file, and get a new one. I have a $500 scope on my $100 Marlin 60 (Trijicon Accupoint 1.24-4x24mm). It's worth it. You don't need to go that far, but at a minimum for a rimfire, get a Bushnell "Banner" line. I have the Banner 4-12x40mm on a couple of rimfires. And I have the Banner 1.5-4.5 on several others. Better would be better. Up to about $350-$400, the more you spend, the better you get in scopes, by leaps & bounds. After that, you still get what you pay for (more $ is better), but you start to get diminishing returns. Get good rings, too! For rimfires, I like "Lynx" by B-square, or Burris rimfire rings. Well, actually, on a couple of non-hunting .22s (just plinking guns), I have some cheapie "Traditions" rings - but they hold tight and work well - good for an $8 set of rings.
Old October 23, 2006, 06:31 PM   #3
hksigwalther

Welcome.

OK, I think I've pinpointed your problem.

I don't really mean to beat down on BSA users. Just my own personal experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSA.JPG (60.1 KB, 347 views)
Old October 23, 2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Venison_Jerkey32

Ya, I've got a BSA on my 10/22 and it doesn't stay zeroed. For crying out loud, it's a .22! Actually, I'm not 100% sure that it is the scope, because it just might be possible that the point of impact (POI?) changes as it gets hot, but even when I let it cool it seems like the scope is wacky the next time. Funny, my Tikka with a leupold scope doesn't have this problem even though it gets hot.....
Old October 24, 2006, 07:51 AM   #5
zima3000

> it just might be possible that the point of impact (POI?) changes as it gets hot

I don't think this is the case because after it got out of whack on the second day it had a chance to cool down (I had to wait for the cease-fire, move the target, etc.) but when I tried it after that it was no better.

Thank you for your input everybody. The BSA went back to Wal Mart (gotta love their return policies) and I got Tasco Bucksight instead. They didn't have anything smaller at the moment and I want to go shoot tomorrow so I decided not to wait. Now my lil Model 60 looks like a gun they give to snipers in the bad movies By the way, the guy at Wal Mart told me they are not carrying BSA any longer - got tired of the returns, I suppose.

If you don't hear from me tomorrow, Tasco is a keeper.

Happy shooting