The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 13, 2006, 03:34 PM   #1
CDH

Versa Max II Alternative?

I just checked with the Milt Sparks company and was told that they are 20 weeks out for shipping a Versa Max II holster.

I don't care to discuss whether the company is "that good" to have that kind of backlog or if they are clueless about how to do manufacturing to meet customer's needs. I just wanted a holster but for whatever reason, they can't help.

So, can anyone who has used the VMII suggest a high quality alternative IWB holster that you like and is similar?

Carter
Old September 13, 2006, 06:53 PM   #2
KD5NRH

Try http://www.jjheroldholsters.com/

I've never used the VM, for much the same reason you're avoiding it, but both of my primary carry guns use Josh's holsters, (North Woods Versatile for my 1911 and North Woods Confidence for my PT99) and I like the way they fit. I would avoid the J clips for anything even remotely heavy, though, as they can be picky about what pants they won't try to roll under the belt.
Old September 14, 2006, 05:55 AM   #3
Billy Sparks

Have you tried Lightning Arms Sports? They stock Milt Sparks holsters, they charge a little more but you are paying for them having the holster in hand when you call.

http://www.lightningarms.com/
Old September 14, 2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Jiml3

Try HBE Leatherworks. The owner Eric is a member on this board and from many members, he gets high marks for his products. On his website, I belive he has his version of what your looking for. Also, get his phone number and call regarding what exactly you want. His prices are very reasonable.
While I don't own anything from him, when I next need a holster, I will order from him based on all the positive feedback I see posted.
Jiml3
Old September 15, 2006, 07:57 AM   #5
ceetee

I just ordered from K&D Holsters. I was also shopping around for something like a VM II. I had e-mailed several holster-makers, including K&D, with questions regarding their products. A couple e-mailed me back.

Kevin (from K&D) actually called my office, looking for me. He said, "Well, I was just going to write you back, but I thought if we discussed what you need, maybe I could answer your questions better, and explain my products better..."

Another guy that was very attentive to listening to what I wanted and explaining things to me was Nate from Ugly Bald Guy Holsters.

There's a great forum I found that is similar to this one and THR: "Combat Carry"

Many of the best custom holster-makers spend time on that forum(including Nate, Kevin, and Eric, amongst others) and they usually make time to answer whatever question comes up.
Old September 15, 2006, 11:07 AM   #6
AK103K

What gun are you looking to put in it? Top Gun Supply seems to get the VMII or a pretty regular basis, but they do sell out quick. They are real good people to deal with.

After seeing all the praise for them, I recently picked up a VMII for my P229. Its a nice holster, but I still like my Blade Tech kydex IWB's better. The spread out loops on the VMII do help stabilize the holster, and that set up does make the profile "somewhat" flatter than the Blade Techs double loop, but for me, the front loop on the VMII is to far forward and is easily spotted when I reach into my front pocket. I dont find it conceals as well.

I'd recommend Blade Tech, but you seem to be in a rush and the last time I bought a holster from them they were running right around 6 weeks. They are worth the wait though.

You may also want to check on EBay. I've seen a number of both on there and you might get a deal.
Old September 15, 2006, 01:21 PM   #7
CDH

Well, I tried Lightning Arms but they told me they had no VMII in stock and that they had NO idea when they would get more (I want this one for my Commander LW XSE).

So I bit the bullet and sent off to Milt Sparks and I guess I'll just sit until February or so until it gets built.

In the mean time, I'm doing some looking at other options for my other pistols elsewhere.

Carter
Old September 16, 2006, 06:59 AM   #8
STEVE M

you may have to wait now, put you will be happy for many years to come

with a Sparks holster.
Old September 16, 2006, 06:46 PM   #9
Glockamolie

Why not a Sparks Watch Six? Got mine for a Kahr from Lightning Arms. I love it!
Old September 16, 2006, 08:05 PM   #10
crackerjack

holster

May want to look closely at Brommeland . His IWB holsters are extremely comfortable . His commander model looks like it would not be comfortable, but is in fact more comfortable on me than any I have tried ,it doesn't dig in hip when sitting.
Frank

Last edited by crackerjack; September 16, 2006 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 17, 2006, 05:49 AM   #11
CDH

Quote:
May want to look closely at Brommeland . His IWB holsters are extremely comfortable.
Did that too. In fact, I ordered his MaxConV for my XD9SubCompact (he's backorded "only" 16 weeks instead of Spark's 20 weeks )

The difference between the two holster makers is that the VMII from Sparks features a supported mouth which I NEED for IDPA shooting with my XSE Commander. And obviously, I'll use it for carrying concealed as well.

Brommeland's MaxConV, on the other hand, does not have a supported opening which makes one handed reholstering difficult. That's not a problem being as it's for my XD9SubC which is going to be used only for concealed carry and not IDPA (IDPA requires holsters that can be reholstered with one hand).
Additionally, a supported opening on a holster makes it just a wee bit fatter, but that's not a problem for the Commander being as thin as it is anyway. However, the XD9SubC, being a double stack, is a fatter pistol so an unsupported holster helps a "little" with concealment.

Carter
Old September 17, 2006, 09:05 AM   #12
JNewell

I have boxes of holsters from 30+ years of shooting and can tell you that although the wait is annoying, the cost and time will look better when you are looking back. IMO the VM is the best IWB holster out there.
Old September 17, 2006, 09:31 AM   #13
AK103K

Quote:
I have boxes of holsters from 30+ years of shooting...
Check out EBay. I had a couple of those boxes too and made out quite well selling them off on EBay.

Its also a good place to pick up holsters you want to try for reasonable prices.