The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 08:03 PM   #1
higgscharger

What to add?

Greetings,

I am fairly new to being a gun owner and shooter. Shot a bit through youth/college as a camp counselor with .22, but just now getting around to buying my own stuff.

Currently own:
NEF Pardner break action .12 gauge
Ruger Charger
Savage Springfield Model 120a bolt action .22 that was my dads when he was in high school

Mostly I am shooting for fun and just to learn a bit. I am looking for a true handgun (the charger is cool, but not really a pistol obviously) and a rifle.

Emphasis is on cheap to buy, cheap to shoot.

Handgun:
Looking for a .22 double action revolver or semi-auto pistol. My girlfriend wants to try this out and is not someone who would be comfortable shooting anything in a higher caliber.

Currently considering-

Low end: H&R 929 Sidekick
High end: Ruger MK II

Rifle:
I am not hunting and don't really care a great deal about super high performance, just want something I can get on the rifle range and enjoy improving with. Single shot bolt action would be fine with me, and actually might be a good idea because then I will slow down and think about each shot.

Currently considering-

Mosin-Nagant Model 91/30 Rifle

Sounds like they are easy to find, surplus ammo is cheap, and I am a history buff and would LOVE to have a 1940s era gun.

There is a gun show coming up in a few weeks and I was going to go and try and find these two. Anything else I should consider for the type of shooting/performance I am looking for?

Many thanks for the input.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
overthere

I have the .22 Ruger Mark III Target semi-automatic pistol and it is a great gun. Fun to shoot and very accurate. A pain in the neck to fieldstrip compared to a lot (probably most) other pistols, but great fun to shoot.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:17 PM   #3
higgscharger

Yeah, everything I have read says the Mark II or III are pretty great. But, they carry a $400 price tag as compared to the H&R revolvers. But, nice to hear what I was thinking confirmed.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:10 AM   #4
DaleA

The thing with the .22's is that you can shoot them a *LOT* for very little money and pass them down to your kids and grand kids and they can do the same thing. What I'm saying is figure the thing will last you a lifetime and your kid too and then the cost spread out over that period isn't so bad.

Get the Ruger.

Same deal for a rifle. Get an accurate rifle you can shoot a lot to get the basics down. Again, IMhO this would be a .22. Something like a CZ 452. Expensive yes but you'll never out grow it or shoot it out.

Then take a class or join a league and shoot some competition .22 to get experience and push yourself to be a better shooter.
Old February 27, 2013, 02:26 AM   #5
chris in va

Have a look at the Ruger SR22. It's more like a regular handgun and if it's anything like the similar P22 I tried, a lot of fun.
Old February 27, 2013, 10:31 AM   #6
higgscharger

That SR22 looks nice, more int he "upper end" price range along with teh Mark II/III, but I'll check it out.