The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2007, 12:25 AM   #1
defjon

Dan Wesson 1911?

Does Dan Wesson use MIM parts? I heard they don't!
Old December 10, 2007, 12:27 AM   #2
zoomie

Supposedly not. But a guy on m1911.org asked DW/CZ directly and this was the reply he got Jan 07.

"We have made no claims that there is no MIM in our guns. We do try to stay away from it if we can. If we do use MIM it is of the highest quality..."

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=22465
Old December 10, 2007, 01:16 AM   #3
BobK

I have shot the Commander Bobtail in 45 ACP and 10MM. Both handled and shot very well. I was impressed with the fit and finish. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one. I'll have to wait a while though. Just bought a new Springfield Operator.
Old December 10, 2007, 01:45 AM   #4
G&G

I recently got a used Dan Wesson CBOB. It was in excellent shape and still in the break in period. This is an excerpt from a review on this pistol.

In building their 1911 Commander Classic Bobtail, Dan Wesson also uses Ed Brown parts for several of the components. Most producers of 1911 pistols choose less expensive vendors to supply parts, and it shows that the folks at Dan Wesson are striving to build a superior product by using premium parts in their pistols.

You can read the review here:

http://www.gunblast.com/DanWesson-CommanderClassic.htm

It's my first 1911. Experienced shooters who have tried it have been impressed with it. I'm having fun.
Old December 10, 2007, 08:31 AM   #5
rellascout

There are a few MIM parts. I believe the thumb safety is MIM. It is very hard to get them to disclose info.

I also believe that they recently changed production plants. They used to tout it as a USA pistol but that is not on their website anymore??????

I have a CBOB and love it. It is an older gun and has been tight and 100% from day one.
Old December 11, 2007, 12:45 AM   #6
BobK

MIM parts don't bother me much. As long as the frame and slide are solid. Which they are. It's too easy to replace parts on a 1911. That's why I love them.