The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 11:09 PM   #26
Doc TH

magazine capacity

I don't know that it makes a big difference to me. In 9mm 10 rds vs 15+ rounds = ?? I don't feel safer w. > 10 rds. For my 357 revolver, 7 rds seems adequate in any reasonably conceivable situation. And, for you 1911 .45 ACP enthusiasts (with whom I have an affinity), 7 rds has always seemed acceptable. Just don't see it as a big deal; it's a PC issue more than a practical one.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:11 PM   #27
cdbeagle

Quote:
Don't let the media push or shame the idea that only weird people own guns.
I thought the reason to own a gun is because I am weird. Weird is the new cool.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:13 PM   #28
9mm

IF we are limited to 10 rounds, doesn't mean you need to carry smaller, the longer barrel gives better accuracy at longer range. Would you shoot comp with a Glock 26 (small barrel) or Glock 17?
Old January 9, 2013, 11:23 PM   #29
breakingcontact

If you're limited to 10 rounds you could soon be limited to 5 rounds.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:50 PM   #30
Niantician

I'm guessing the biggest problem will be the wait-time and huge demand for new ten rd mags for all the people who need them to comply with new laws. People will probably hoard those just like they're hoarding everything else right now.
Old January 10, 2013, 07:13 AM   #31
giaquir

How can one tell an existing magazine from a new one
unless manufacturers retool.
So I can't see a grandfather clause.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:08 AM   #32
KenW.

It will be interesting to read and study Mrs Fienstien's bill. If it says something to the effect of "firearms capable of being fitted with a detachable magazine with the ability to contain more than ten rounds of ammunition", or equipped with a magnifying optic of over 4X we're in trouble.

Are there 1911 mags that hold over ten rounds? If so, that includes the 1911 whether you own such mags or not.

Then in a few years one will include "small, easily concealed handguns" such as snubbies and subcompacts as the weapon of choice for gang murders, then our deer rifles will be classified "sniper weapons" (after all, "real hunters worth thier salt" don't need to assasinate deer from over 100 yards), and the list will grow without end over the next decade unless we do something now.

Once all the guns are deemed to be illegal, I say we take away Secret Service and Diplomatic Security Service protection for our leaders and dignitarys becuase it will then be safe in our neutered society.

I am an NRA member, but I'm considering also joining the GOA, SAF and others.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:26 AM   #33
Tactical Jackalope

I'll go to my SIG P220 even more so.

People wondered why I traded a Glock 34 for a used SIG P220...lol come on now.

I'd prefer if nothing of the sort happened. We need all the rights we can get.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:37 AM   #34
kcub

The baby Glocks will rule.

It's really a great gun. Pocketable yet shoots like a full size.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:12 AM   #35
Pistola Pedro

Interesting answers

I agree that the ban isn't very likely and even if instated it would almost certainly have a grandfather clause.
However, I do think that manufacturers would be quick to find a new market going forward. Just like they have flocked to the "tiny-niney" over the last several years, I think that we'd start seeing a lot of new single stack polymer's that are effective for both carry and competition.
For those who pointed out that a larger grip and sight radius improve practical accuracy....thanks, but I kinda already new that. My point is simply that the gun makers seem to play numbers games now and I think that larger calibers and new single stacks would become the rage.
For instance, a new shooter could buy a Glock 34, but then someone would come up with something that has the slimmer dimension but offers all of the same pro's and suddenly people would stop feeling like the Glock was a "no brainer". Beretta 92's would get overlooked for 1911's. Why buy the fat design when there are slimmer designs that do the same thing.
Gun manufacturers have become masters of starting new trends and I'm guessing that's what it would be. (note: I like this trend! We've gotten some great products out of it! )
Just my $.02
Pete
Old January 10, 2013, 04:27 PM   #36
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

9 rounds from my Colt NM and 9 more rounds from the Colt Commander Gold cup. Would that be cheating? Just shot my Mosin Nagant carbine this afternoon, not sure I would need 10 rounds or more. However I will stand side by side with my dinosaur guns with the little fellers and their AR's and AK's to fight any dang fool trying to take them away. They want to ban something, ban anybody who has been in office more than 6 years.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 10, 2013, 05:18 PM   #37
Skans

The thought of having to be limited to 10 round is the reason I bit-the-bullet and have a Sig X-Five Competition in 9mm on its way to me as I type this!
Old January 10, 2013, 05:35 PM   #38
BigJimP

I'm not "soiling my pants" over any of this stuff...first of all because I have everything I want....and 8 or 10 rds in a 1911 has always been plenty anyway..../ so it won't change my philosophy on what I carry ( because it has been and will be a 5" 1911 in .45 acp )....

The only double stack guns I have ....are my Sig 226's in 9mm and .40S&W and an X-Five in .40S&W..../ and I have at least 8 mags for each .../ and depending on how, or if, the law is written...ok, I'll put new springs in them and limit them to 10 rds if I have to ....

but everyone should just take a deep breath...and wait until something happens ..../ but for the most part for Defense or for recreational shooting it flat out doesn't matter...!
Old January 11, 2013, 03:44 PM   #39
bikerbill

Don't want to be rude to the powers that be, but who's going to enforce this hicap magazine ban? There are millions of these guns out and probably many millions more of the mags ... I'm keeping a positive attitude, I don't think it's going to happen, but if it does, it will be amusing to watch them try and make it work ...

And I just ordered an XDs, mag cap 7+1 of .45ACP, I'm ready to repel boarders ...
Old January 11, 2013, 03:47 PM   #40
ripnbst

All I know is I am in the 1911 market right now. I've always wanted one, had one, it was an abomination, rid myself of it, and I'm looking to get back into it with TRP style.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:52 PM   #41
Coltman 77

Quote:
If you're limited to 10 rounds...
how does it affect the attractiveness of high-cap pistols going forward?
For instance, someone may be considering a Glock 19 vs. a 4 inch 1911 in 9mm for a "do all" pistol. If they are both limited to 10 rounds, doesn't that change the game a little.
I guess what I'm asking is, do you think that full sized double stacks become obsolete and the single stack service size polymer becomes the next big fad?
As an aside, I'm currently considering either a STI IV 9mm vs. a P99 AS, so it's a very pertinent conversation for me.
Pete
First Pete, I don't plan on any new gun laws being enacted.

I and many others have written our senators, congressmen to let them know we will oppose any more gun laws. Have you?

Have you joined the NRA?

I've been a member for 30 yrs. but sent a $250:00 donation last month and another $250.00 donation on Tuesday.

The premise of your post just accepts defeat.

Get off your ass and get involved in the fight to save our 2nd Amendment rights. Open your wallet, spend some money so you can keep your guns.

You can join the NRA for the price of a box of ammo.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old January 11, 2013, 05:27 PM   #42
ripnbst

And right now NRA memberships are $25 with a $25 GIFT CARD to Bass Pro Shops if you join. It costs you nothing!!!

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/s...gnID=bassprowy
Old January 11, 2013, 05:51 PM   #43
Dashunde

Coltman is right... we really should be contributing to those who have made a profession out of keeping our gun rights in place. Despite a few shortcomings they've done a pretty good job at not only protecting those rights, but have managed to expand them over recent years with ccw pushed out almost everywhere, for example.

I personally would like to see the NRA begin to contribute to security, training and organizing those individuals into an effective volunteer group that can defend and deter the deranged cowards that threaten our "soft spots", along with lobbing for law changes that makes it nearly impossible (illegal) to defend those spaces.
Old January 11, 2013, 08:42 PM   #44
Tinner666

Since I mostly carry a 26, I'd quit carrying 2 spare mags and switch to carrying 4.
So, lets see.. No restrictions, I have 37 rds. With restrictions, I'm forced to carry 41 rds. Funny how they're going about this if everybody has to carry more ammo.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:03 PM   #45
Antibomber

The REAL problem is what will they ban next. Even those liberal idiot lawmakers will learn from their last ban and I don't think they will stop this time if they succeed.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:20 PM   #46
P1090

Quote:
First Pete, I don't plan on any new gun laws being enacted.

I and many others have written our senators, congressmen to let them know we will oppose any more gun laws. Have you?

Have you joined the NRA?

I've been a member for 30 yrs. but sent a $250:00 donation last month and another $250.00 donation on Tuesday.

Get off your ass and get involved in the fight to save our 2nd Amendment rights. Open your wallet, spend some money so you can keep your guns.

Coltman, are we not allowed to make plans for both positive and negative outcomes? Yes, we are doing what we can to fight the changes, but I see no flaw in planning on how we may have to cope in the future. It's pretty much common sense; you don't put your eggs all in one basket. I applied to three or four colleges, not just the one I wanted in case I didn't get exactly what I hoped for. Am I causing an issue that I keep a jack and a spare tire in my car even though I do maintainance on my car to keep it in tip top shape? The whole reason most of us carry guns is in case the best possible outcome doesn't happen; forgive us for looking at everything else the same way.

Attacking someone because he is looking at all the possible outcomes of a situation is extremely unhelpful, and honestly doesn't promote any meaningful conversation.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:11 PM   #47
novacz

Quote:

Have you joined the NRA?

Best advice there is.

I'd be doubly sure to write your representatives. Writing them lets them know that there is a voting block that is watching their moves.

I've written one general message outlining my views and then I've written my representative a separate email noting my disagreement for each of the following bills:

H.R. 21: NRA Members' Gun Safety Act of 2013
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d113:h.r.00021:

H.R. 34: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2013
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...s/d113HR.lst::

H.R. 65: Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2013
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...:@@@D&summ2=m&

H.R. 93: Fire Sale Loophole Closing Act

H.R. 117: Handgun Licensing and Registration Act of 2013

H.R. 137: Expand Background Checks

H.R. 138: Large-Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...3:HR00138:@@@P

H.R. 142: Ammunition Sales
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d113:h.r.142:
Old January 11, 2013, 11:01 PM   #48
TunnelRat

Quote:
Attacking someone because he is looking at all the possible outcomes of a situation is extremely unhelpful, and honestly doesn't promote any meaningful conversation.
I don't think he was attacking you at all.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 11, 2013, 11:12 PM   #49
P1090

Quote:
I don't think he was attacking you at all.
He wasn't attacking me. However, I believe that this line:
Quote:
in particular was rather uncalled for, and basically comes off as saying that Pete has done nothing to help preserve his rights.

These lines:
Quote:

Have you joined the NRA?

do nothing to help the OP with his question and rather condemn his line of thinking as pointless.

Finally, this line:
Quote:
was mainly what I was adressing. the OP is discussing possible outcomes. It had nothing to do with capitulating. It's like me eating healthy now because I may have to worry about high colesterol in the future. I hope I don't, I haven't given up on a healthy lifestyle, but I still acknowledge it as a possiblity to prepare for. It seems on the forum that as soon as anyone mentions that there is a possibility of changes to our gun laws they are instantly told that they should be doing more to fight.

Don't get me wrong, fighting for your rights is what we should all be doing. I fail to comprehend how acknowledging the fact that our rights may change is a bad thing. No plan survives contact with the enemy. My plan to keep my gun rights intact is not assured, so I prepare for other possible outcomes as well.

Last edited by P1090; January 11, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:21 PM   #50
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...also ammo cap bans are not permanent...
The last one was temporary because the pro-gunners managed to get a sunset clause inserted and because there weren't sufficient votes to reinstate it at the sunset date.

It is very unlikely that any new ammo cap ban would be temporary.
Quote:
How can one tell an existing magazine from a new one
unless manufacturers retool.
So I can't see a grandfather clause.
Last time, unmarked magazines were assumed to be pre-ban and therefore grandfathered. New manufacture was required to be marked LE/Military only. IF the proposed ban has a grandfather clause, I imagine it will be something similar.