The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 6, 2012, 12:03 AM   #26
Ridge_Runner_5

M1A Socom 16 and a Glock 19
Old November 6, 2012, 12:25 AM   #27
OttoJara

Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70, and a Smith& Wesson 686 with a 6" barrel. I'd want both 357 and 38 rounds for the 686 along with a couple dozen rat shot rounds. An Eese 5 knife would be helpful too.

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old November 6, 2012, 12:32 AM   #28
Rifleman1952

I agree the movie fell short of what it might have been. It would be great if a film maker who really loved hunting and the shooting sports were to make a similar movie. I'm not sure such a person exits in Hollywood.

If any of the regular posters on this forum had made that film, a firearm or firearms would have survived the crash. It would have been clearly demonstrated how hunting skill and marksmanship really could be the difference between life and death in a wilderness survival situation.

Forget that particular movie for the sake of the hypothetical question. If you were to survive a plane crash in the remote wilderness like Alaska or Canada, what handgun and rifle would you want at the ready both to obtain food and for defense against 4 or 2 legged predators?
Old November 6, 2012, 07:29 PM   #29
gunmoney

First, the movie was awful. I was expecting a movie like "The Edge" but it was nowhere close.

I would go with this set up:
http://www.laruetactical.com/sites/d...r_carbine1.jpg

and:
http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-...ightweight.asp
Old November 6, 2012, 07:53 PM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

After the credits, you see a dead wolf and no dead Liam. While a touch ambiguous I call it for Darkman.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:01 PM   #31
Rebel9793

Laugh if you will but 12ga with 000 buck and a .45acp. Dont have to be a grea marksman to blow something in two with the 12ga
Old November 6, 2012, 08:16 PM   #32
jgcoastie

Rifle: AR-15 chambered in .458 SOCOM. And ammo... Lots of ammo in pre-loaded magazines. A red dot on top would be nice, but I could make-do with irons.

Pistol: Browning Buckmark, .22lr. There's rabbits that need eaten everywhere...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:44 PM   #33
g20gunny

50 Alaskan guide gun and a glock 20 10mm.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." --George Washington
Old November 6, 2012, 11:20 PM   #34
Dr Big Bird PhD

Barrett 50 cal and smith & wesson 500

someone would be bound to hear me
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 7, 2012, 12:15 AM   #35
Winchester_73

H&K G3A4 ZF - H&K G3 .308 semi rifle with single position collapsible stock and a scope. Power, quality, scope for long shots and select fire.

H&K MK23 "socom" 45 pistol with all the goodies. 45 acp +P rounds. Laser sight, silencer (if needed) 12+1 capacity, excellent combat design, etc.

H&K all the way!
Old November 7, 2012, 12:21 AM   #36
Edward429451

I would want a 45/70 Guide Gun also. That and a 44 Mag.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:55 AM   #37
OldSoul

I'd want and all original Mosin Nagant 91/30 with attached bayonet and a 454 casuall revolver.
Old November 7, 2012, 01:46 AM   #38
.22lr

Crashed in the wilderness?

Since I need to hike out:

Rifle
1) It hast to be lightweight
2) Shorter is better
3) Reliable in harsh conditions
4) Durable enough to survive a crash
5) ammunition would be a compromise between weight and volume & power
6) Sling equipped

I really don't know what fits the bill for the rifle.

Pistol
2) It should fill the gaps left by the rifle.
5) ammunition should be small enough to allow carrying a decent amount
6) carried in a quality holster

I'm leaning towards a .22lr revolver, preferable something in a lightweight material.

Then again, I'd rather have climate appropriate clothing than either a rifle or handgun.
2)
Old November 7, 2012, 03:03 AM   #39
NWPilgrim

I think I would go with a .30-30 lever action rifle, and a .22LR revolver. The .458 SOCOM AR15 would be a strong contender, but I have no experience with its reliability so for what I know it would be the .30-30. I would go with Barnes copper bullet ammo.

If I have a short, handy rifle for defense and hunting then I see know need to carry a 4lb handgun and a few huge cartridges too. I would rather have a lightweight .22LR revolver with a brick of ammo. Or a G26 9mm, several loaded mags, and a .22LR conversion slide with a brick of ammo!

If weight was not a factor, that is staying in a fixed area with occasional forays, then the M1A .308 and 180gr premium ammo would be my choice. But if I have to bust brush and hump ridges for many and many a mile, then a lightweight and slim carbine like the Marlin or Winchester gets my vote. If not .30-30 then lever action in .44 Mag or .45-70 though that is getting to much larger and heavier ammo.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 7, 2012, 04:13 AM   #40
CajunBass

I'd want a deck of cards.

I'd deal a few hands of solitair. Before long some SOB would show up and say something like "Play the black queen on the red king."

Then I'd go out with him.

Problem solved.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 7, 2012, 08:49 AM   #41
zincwarrior

I just need to be able to run faster than the other people in the group.

Alternatively don't take any plane trips over Siberia or Alaska? As I am in Texas, thats easy!
Old November 7, 2012, 11:58 AM   #42
Gaerek

I'd take my Mossberg 500 and Brenneke Black Magic 3" Magnum slugs. As someone who hiked a lot in Grizzlie country in Alaska, I'll use what the Alaska State Troopers use for their bear guns (though they are issued 870's). For a handgun, .44 Magnum with the biggest, baddest rounds I can find. Though when I was hiking, I usually only had my shotgun slung over my shoulder.
Old November 7, 2012, 03:27 PM   #43
Jayhawkhuntclub

Quote:
Rifle
2) Shorter is better
5) ammunition would be a compromise between weight and volume & power
6) Sling equipped

I really don't know what fits the bill for the rifle.

Pistol
2) It should fill the gaps left by the rifle.
5) ammunition should be small enough to allow carrying a decent amount
6) carried in a quality holster

I'm leaning towards a .22lr revolver, preferable something in a lightweight material.
Well thought out. And along those lines, I'd pick an 1894 Marlin in 44mag and a 4" Smith & Wesson 617 revolver.
Old November 7, 2012, 05:58 PM   #44
Onward Allusion

A Saiga 12ga and a Ruger Charger.
Old November 10, 2012, 02:24 PM   #45
Axelwik

I'd be comfortable with my Marlin Guide Gun (45-70) and my Super Blackhawk (44 Mag) or GP-100 (357).
Old November 10, 2012, 08:54 PM   #46
BudW

M1A1 Scout
44 mag pistol
Old November 10, 2012, 09:36 PM   #47
carprivershooter

What jhenry said. 30-06 and a 38spl. proven over and over.
Old November 12, 2012, 05:57 PM   #48
Glenn Dee

My Remington 600 in .308, and a 4" Model 19 .357
Old November 12, 2012, 06:14 PM   #49
30-30remchester

That was the worst movie I have seen in years. Those people deserve to be removed from the gene pool before they can breed. But to answer the question, a good 30-06 class rifle and a good scoped 22 rifle for small game has served many nothern outdoorsman of Alaska and nothern Canada for over a century now. I study actual carry guns of the people who carry guns daily. Pretty they aint. Many people believe they can shoot well enough to keep fed with a 22 handgun, and I am one of those that believe that. But you must have a game rich enviroment to do this. If you get but one shot a day at small game I want to be able to hit the small target every time.
Old November 13, 2012, 10:34 AM   #50
Gaerek

Quote:
That was the worst movie I have seen in years. Those people deserve to be removed from the gene pool before they can breed. But to answer the question, a good 30-06 class rifle and a good scoped 22 rifle for small game has served many nothern outdoorsman of Alaska and nothern Canada for over a century now. I study actual carry guns of the people who carry guns daily. Pretty they aint. Many people believe they can shoot well enough to keep fed with a 22 handgun, and I am one of those that believe that. But you must have a game rich enviroment to do this. If you get but one shot a day at small game I want to be able to hit the small target every time.
Having lived in Alaska for most of my life, I want to comment on something here. I worked with a girl, who while she was pregnant, craved squirrel meat. So on her days off, at 7 months pregnant, she'd get up a 8am, waddle into the woods, and kill 5 or 6 squirrels, bring them home, clean them, and she'd have lunch. It became sort of a running joke at work. She garnered the nickname "Squirrel Slayer." Someone even made her a shirt with that logo on it, and had an infant's onesie made with the logo "Future Squirrel Slayer." I once asked her what she would do if she ran into a bear. She said matter of factly, "Drop my rifle, and pull out the .357 Mag on my belt."

Here's the problem with most of Alaska. Although most areas are rich with small game, they are also rich with large game. Sitka Blacktail Deer, Caribou, moose, etc. But beyond these vegetarian animals, the forests and tundra of Alaska are also rich with large predators. Large Grizzlies, Black Bear, Brown Bear, Polar Bears (far north, of course) and Wolves. If you decided to head into the woods to feed your family with a .22, you're risking not coming back.

Heck, I had a buddy who hunted exclusively with a .223 rifle (make and model escapes me at the moment, but it wasn't an AR). Sitka Blacktail are small deer by deer standards, and the .223 is more than sufficient. He says it's the best rifle he's ever owned. But he always had his Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag strapped to his hip. If he were ever attacked by a grizzly, the .223 would do nothing except make the bear mad.

My wife worked with a guy who had gone out hunting with some buddies. They had split up and he was alone. They were looking for Sitka Blacktail again. He was carrying a .300 Win Mag. He began tracking a deer, but after about a mile, lost the trail. He began to backtrack his way back to camp to meet up with his buddies when he heard some rustling in the bushes. He thought it might be the deer he had been tracking. He raised his rifle and aimed towards the rustling. Suddenly, a bear bursted out of the brush coming at him at less than 20 feet. He fired off a round that luckily went through the bears skull, and dropped him right at his feet. If he had been using a .223 or something small, he'd likely not be alive today.

So, can you feed a family in the wilds of Alaska and Canada with a .22? Sure, it's certainly possible. Do you want to? Well, if you do, make sure you have something to back you up. Going out into the Alaska wilderness with only a .22 is something that only the ignorant, and foolish do. Bring both the .22 AND .30-06 with you.

Having said that, there is a joke you might hear in Alaska.

Q:What's the best caliber for defense in the wilderness of Alaska?
A:.22LR. Shoot your buddy in the knee, and run like hell.

Last edited by Gaerek; November 13, 2012 at 02:26 PM.