The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 28, 2014, 09:33 PM   #26
roaddog28

I once had in about 20 to 23 revolvers. The last two years I have sold all but four. Still have my model 10-7 and M&P 38 special from 1955, my Ruger Police Service Six and my Blackhawk. I have only one S&W 9mm semi-auto.
Thats it. If I were to buy now it would be only a rare revolver. Because of lack of funds that probably won't happen.
Old October 29, 2014, 01:31 AM   #27
testuser79

A few strategies that have worked...

I have a few of strategies that have worked pretty well...

1) First, I've bought nicer guns instead of looking for a lot of deals. If you're on an unlimited budget, then just keep buying, otherwise you can buy one or two really great pieces instead of 25 mediocre ones.

I used to have many revolvers, then I settled on 4 four very nice ones. Every time I get an itch to buy, I compared it to what I already have and the new purchase always comes up short.

2) Instead of buying a new gun, ask yourself if custom work will satisfy your itch instead. If you intended on using a pistol for self defense, then why not equip it with night sights? I want to having several of my .357s cut for moonclips, for example.

I sent a CZ-75B to the custom shop a few years ago, single action conversion, pretty much every bell and whistle done. I have zero desire to purchase anymore single action or target pistols.

3) You can buy can attempt to buy on need. Even in the country, nearly everyone can get by with a 12 gauge, a couple of rifles and a couple of handguns.

4) Decide if you're a shooter or collector. If you collect, then focus your collection. If you shoot, then buy some good quality targets and a reloading set up and starting shooting more.

I like to shoot, not collect, so I sold a few pistols and bought some steel targets. I don't miss the handguns, the steel is a lot more fun to shoot than paper ever was.

5) Don't get caught up in trends. If you don't like Glocks, then don't buy one just because everyone else has one.

I've owned two Colt 1911s (.45 ACP and .38 Super), hated them both and don't care to buy another. I also have no use for .223 rifles. I started buying a lot fewer guns when I realized what I liked, instead of buying what everyone else liked. I like S&W revolvers and CZ autos, so that's what I buy...no reason to look at GP-100s just because I don't have one. I prefer L-frames to K-frames...all of my K-frames have been sold, I don't miss them.

Last edited by testuser79; October 29, 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old October 29, 2014, 03:19 PM   #28
ZVP

Retirement and a fixed income put the brakes on my buying in volume ( 3-5 a year), and now that I have most of what I ever wanted It dosen't make sense to just own em and not shot em! With the exception of Rimfires, I try and shoot as often nd as much as possible.
Those rapid-fire runs have stopped, (high ammo prices) and I now pace my shots. I love BP because it paces itself! Rimfire shooting is done cautiously as my supply is low.
I am going to just say no about buying for a long time.
Man I just want to shoot!
I stopped buying high end airguns a couple yeqrs ago and primarilly shoot these days.
I noticed that I am spending more time talking guns at the range too!
Well I'm going to try and quit but ya never really know.... LOL!
Old October 29, 2014, 05:28 PM   #29
Cheapshooter

My short list is down to three. The problem is I've bought two guns in the last month that weren't on the list!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 29, 2014, 05:53 PM   #30
skizzums

Quote:
ever quit buying?
eventually we all will
Old October 29, 2014, 06:01 PM   #31
Cheapshooter

"Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times"
................................................................Mark Twain

Appropriate for gun buying as well.
Old October 29, 2014, 08:59 PM   #32
franco45

Yeah, I'm definitely done this time. Well, after I get the LCRx and Kahr CT380 off layaway.
Old October 29, 2014, 09:53 PM   #33
Joe_Pike

I only buy screaming good deals at this point. That way when I'm tired of the gun I can probably at least get my money back. I'm tired of having hobbies where I lose my behind when I sell the stuff I no longer want.
Old October 29, 2014, 10:34 PM   #34
Dragline45

Never! Once I have everything I need and want though I will most likely switch over to project guns to keep me busy.
Old October 30, 2014, 12:29 AM   #35
RodTheWrench

I thought I hadn't bought any guns lately until my brother and I were texting tonight and he asked if I had any newly acquired pieces. Got to thinking for a minute and came up with 4.

In the last 60 days.
Old October 30, 2014, 01:26 AM   #36
RsqVet

I have consolidated calibers I stock... that helps a ton and simplified things to some degree.

I want few new guns. That helps. I refuse to buy used online... I want to inspect what I buy. I wait to find local, good deals.

I am trying to keep the project guns down,... I have 6 in various stages of work

That being said it seems to run that 3 great guns come to me at once then a 6 month dry spell.
Old October 30, 2014, 10:24 AM   #37
natman

I got a job overseas and had to clean, oil, pack and store every single one of my guns. This drove home the fact that I have way too many, so I'm selling off some of the duplicates, the projects that never happened and the ones I bought just because they were such a good deal.

I may buy a gun or two in the future, but the days of having gun buying as a hobby in its own right are over.
Old October 30, 2014, 10:30 AM   #38
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I'm tired of having hobbies where I lose my behind when I sell the stuff I no longer want.
Easy answer......Don't sell them!
Old October 30, 2014, 11:02 AM   #39
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I definitely slowed down....retirement led to lower disposable income.LOL
Luckily, I had all of what I wanted!
Pretty much where I'm at now. There are still a few guns on my want list, but they are all uncommon, long discontinued models. I have about zero interest in getting anything new.

I'd buy new S&Ws IF they were made the way they made them in the 60s-70s.

No interest in any "combat Tupperware".

I did, sort of, quit buying, once. Back in the mid 80s, I decided I was finished with the .357 Magnum. Sold the 6" model 19 that I had, even gave away all my brass to one of my buddies. I did keep my dies (somehow, I always keep the dies, ).

Everything was fine, for months, until, at a show, I found an unfired 6" Model 28, in the box. My Dad had a model 28, and to me, that has always been THE .357 Magnum.

I made it almost 4 months, before I shot it. Thought I could just keep it NIB, but I couldn't. (yes, I am weak).

It came with the target hammer & trigger installed, and wearing a set of Pachmayr grips is my favorite double action revolver.

Never say never...
Old October 30, 2014, 01:51 PM   #40
tulsamal

Quote:
I'm at a point I'm pretty selective in what I buy
At age 52 and buying guns ever since my teens, that's pretty much where I'm at. I have no real need for any sort of "general utility guns." A lot of inexpensive modern guns actually work quite well and are accurate. But after you have xx number of big game rifles... you just don't have any real "need" for one. So the only way I would buy a bolt action rifle (for example) would be if it was something genuinely rare and unusual. Something really well made and that I remember from 30-40 years ago.

So I agree with what another person said. You could buy a whole lot of $300-$600 guns. Or you could roll that money together and only buy the more expensive ones. And, if you pick well, those girls aren't going down in value. I do consider some of my guns to be long term investments. But they are a lot more fun to own than numbers on the computer screen.

And I also agree with custom guns. It is a wonderful thing to have a gun made just the way you want it. On the other hand.... in most cases that works against the gun as a long term investment. Just because you spent $1500-$3000 having a really interesting Ruger OM custom made in a certain way that you love.... you can't really expect Joe Buyer to be willing to part with that kind of money. I've bought several really nice custom revolvers over the years and I think the seller has lost money every time if you look at the gunsmith invoice.

Gregg
Old October 30, 2014, 10:14 PM   #41
SaxonPig

Been trying to stop for two years. It's gotten ridiculous. I no longer count how many guns I have, I count how many safes I have.

During 2013 I was good, making it until December before weakening and buying a new rifle. But then I also added a new revolver before the New Year. This year has been bad. Added three revolvers, a semi-auto pistol and three rifles. I keep telling myself "You can't own them all...you can't own them all..."

Now wife wants a new house. The thought of having a mortgage again terrifies me. Worked too hard to pay off the old one. So now in saving mode hoping to stash as much cash as I can towards down payment to lighten the mortgage load. Gun buying is off the table for the foreseeable future.
Old October 31, 2014, 08:23 AM   #42
Jeff #111

I've slowed down, but I haven't stopped. Eventually I might stop. My father is 70 and hasn't bought a gun in the past three years. I remember him being very active in the 1970's, but not any more.

I was very active around ten years ago. Purchased all types of firearms and then would trade them off. Now I tend to hold onto my guns and buy instead of sell or trade to get another gun .......though I did sell a couple revolvers a few weeks ago in order to buy a S&W Model 19.
Old October 31, 2014, 09:10 AM   #43
22-rimfire

Unless you are buying to "collect", a some point you do simply say, I have enough except for the occasional "deal" or quick purchase that might pop up. This is the case with me. The number of "deals" one might find are often related to the amount of footwork you put into the effort of the hobby. Again, if you are not collecting, there is little reason to buy your 15th Ruger 357 revolver and often the amount of footwork you put in is reduced as you simply don't have the interest.

This seems to happen also if you aren't shooting as much as you used to. The ammunition shortage and rising costs have turned much of my free time hobby interest to other pursuits and I have not done a re-start.

Allow this to go another few years and I'll probably start selling off stuff. I have never really sold off a lot of "good stuff", but I see that in the near future.
Old October 31, 2014, 09:46 AM   #44
sixguns

I quit buying for a period of about seven years or so, but when you start again and buy JUST ONE watch out!
Old October 31, 2014, 04:24 PM   #45
Elliottsdad

I've thought about this before.. the way I see it, although a gun is simply a platform for launching a projectile, there are so many different uses for guns: ones that fire big rounds, ones that fire tiny rounds, ones that fire lots of little projectiles simultaneously, ones that fire projectiles a loooooong way, ones that are concealable, ones that are for oohing and aahing, ones that are for practice, ones that are historical... you get the drift.

This is the reason I don't think I'll ever stop buying. There's not that one itch that needs scratched.. there's so many different itches, and they're all over my body!!
Old October 31, 2014, 06:25 PM   #46
TfflHndn

Nope. I ain't no quitter...
Old October 31, 2014, 10:39 PM   #47
ranchito457

I can't quit but over the years I've noticed I'm much more particular about what I'll buy.I have come to terms with my addiction I love to buy guns and I refuse to sell or trade one even if I hate it. So with a little practice I've trained myself not to buy anything without researching the heck out of it-and that alone has slowed me down a bit.
Old November 1, 2014, 12:06 AM   #48
JWT

I told myself in July I was done buying. And I was until I found something I really wanted at Buds. So much for 'no more'.
Old November 1, 2014, 12:39 AM   #49
PzGren

Twenty years ago I was randomly buying used guns if the price was good enough to allow me first hand experience and afterwards selling them without a loss. Mostly I came out with a few Dollars extra.

Eventually I slowed down buying guns but this year I decided to build up a small revolver collection of a premium manufacturer, something quite cost prohibitive.

I would not know what else I could buy that might give me an advantage over any gun that I already do have.
Old November 1, 2014, 09:33 PM   #50
heyjoe

yes. i have quit 3 times already this year.