The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 24, 2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Gbnk82

M1895 Nagant revolvers

Came across a guy selling one a few days ago for 350 bucks I couldn't believe his asking price but figured someone would snatch it up because of there availability..anyway does anyone think these will ever be available again at a reasonable price or has the stock completely dried up and these are the new prices??
Old April 24, 2014, 03:11 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The market has dried up a bit, but I don't think it is that dry.

Jim
Old April 24, 2014, 03:50 PM   #3
gyvel

Wow! I just checked J&G's website and they don't list any. That's a pretty fair barometer of current availability.

They're out there, but I do believe the evaporation process is well on its way.

Still, $350.00 is too much for a Nagant at the present time.
Old April 24, 2014, 04:12 PM   #4
jimbob86

Is it worth $350?

Depends upon how bad somebody wants it.
Old April 24, 2014, 06:18 PM   #5
noelf2

Someone in the future is going to say: "remember when you could get a nagant revolver for 350 bucks?"
Old April 24, 2014, 07:09 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Sounds high.

I bought mine with a holster and cleaning rod unfired after the reconditioning for 130.00.

Quite an interesting revolver.

I want to reload for it but I don't like the idea of reloading the covered slug.
Old April 24, 2014, 08:08 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

Way to much money.

Last year I spent $175 on a Tsarist-issue Nagant, great Cyrillic lettering, nicely refinished. Seller wanted $225 for it, no takers for 3 months.

You can get any of the WWII years for about $125-$150.
Old April 25, 2014, 07:09 AM   #8
PaulRuger

Classic has them for $99.99!
Old April 25, 2014, 07:41 AM   #9
Gbnk82

Really!!clasic has them in stock right now??if so I guess I need to go start buttering up my wife so I don't get my head chewed off for spending more money after I just bought a new gun last week...lol
Old April 25, 2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Gbnk82

Never mind just went to the site they are out of stock same as everywhere else with a realistic price..I got all excited there for a second
Old April 25, 2014, 09:20 AM   #11
kraigwy

I bought mine for 99 buck a while back. They are a heck of a lot of fun, not very practical but fun.

$350??? would I pay that if I didn't already have one. Depends, I done some dump stuff over the years, paid some outrageous prices for stuff I didn't need.

So if I didn't have one, and the cheap ones were gone, yeah I'd probably pay that on a whim.

My next dumb stunt will more then likely be paying too much for a S&W M1917. I had one a long time ago that was stolen. Now that I'm really heavy in to surplus US Military Rifles I got to have another one.

I'm not very smart sometimes. But my greatest fear is dying with money in the bank.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 25, 2014, 10:18 AM   #12
SteveBonning

There's still a few here in the low $200's as of today

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...agant+revolver
Old April 25, 2014, 05:56 PM   #13
tobnpr

Considering you can still get a CZ-82- an pistol that's actually a useful, precision firearm that's worth it's price even as a "modern" firearm at under $300, I just have to laugh at anyone that would pay $300 bucks for a Nagant revolver. Couldn't give them away for $99 until after Newtown when everyone feared our gubmint was going to try to confiscate everything with a firing pin.

My bet, is that if Republicans gain control of the Senate and retain the House, thus relieving this irrational fear that still exists, you're going to start seeing prices for some of these plummet.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 25, 2014, 06:26 PM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
My bet, is that if Republicans gain control of the Senate and retain the House, thus relieving this irrational fear that still exists, you're going to start seeing prices for some of these plummet.
That'd be nice. I like mine so much that I want another one.

My brother laughed at me when I bought mine at $130 ..... now he can't find one at twice the price.

As for being "actually usefull" ...... what's not usefull about the Nagant?

If you have the tools and knoledge to reload for it, the ballistics (100gr XTP @ 1,000 f/sec) are not bad, accuracy (in SA) for me has not been bad .... Mine locks up tight ..... it is a bit slow to reload, but if you are not in Bear Country, it'd be a fine woods gun.
Old April 25, 2014, 09:08 PM   #15
BerdanSS

My LGS still has a few left priced around the $150 mark.
Old April 25, 2014, 10:02 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Very doubtful. This isn't supposed to be a political thread, but don't you think that as long as there is someone in Washington with "a pen, and a phone" the same fear of infringement of our gun rights will continue.

The prices, like with everything else are very much set by supply and demand. With the Nagant revolvers as well as Mosins, and other milsurp arms needing importation their supply can easily be stopped with the stroke of that pen.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 25, 2014, 10:52 PM   #17
skizzums

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=409978674

not getting bids, looks in great cond. put a bid for 255 and youll likely to get it
Old April 25, 2014, 11:45 PM   #18
Gbnk82

255 is still to high for me if I found for 150 I'd take it though
Old April 26, 2014, 12:07 AM   #19
skizzums

yeah, I almost snagged one before Christmas. they were everywhere for about 129-179$. shoulda, woulda, coulda. hopefully there will be another big import in the future
Old April 26, 2014, 12:10 AM   #20
kilimanjaro

I wouldn't touch that 1932 Nagant, some moron put the new serial numbering on the left side and ruined the original markings. Get one with the new markings on the right side and not the left.
Old April 26, 2014, 12:19 AM   #21
Gbnk82

Nice I would not even of thought to check that thanks for pointing that out I will know to look for it if I ever find one at a good price
Old April 26, 2014, 12:20 AM   #22
jimbob86

kiliman, you sound like they were beautiful, or collectible or something ...... they made a hojillion of 'em ...... I'm interested in shooters. They could stamp braying donkeys on the side and I'd still shoot them.
Old April 26, 2014, 04:06 PM   #23
kilimanjaro

True enough, but one would think the folks deciding where on the weapon to pencil the new numbering information would consider the aesthetics of their choice. There is plenty of room to work with on the other side of the Nagant and the original markings are left intact and without disfigurement.
Old April 26, 2014, 07:53 PM   #24
Doc Hoy

When I look at the reconditioned pistols....

I am disappointed at the markings that the reconditioners put on the pistols they bring in.

My Nagant is in great shape. Tight, precise, nice finish. but the cheap looking markings sure do make it look like a compromise.

I suppose there is some idiotic rule that reconditioners must adhere to.
Old April 26, 2014, 08:18 PM   #25
Garycw

M1895 Nagant revolvers

I'd looked at them when I was at AIM surplus a cpl years ago. A guy was picking one up. I thought hmmm? A antique military revolver for $100 bucks? I asked the guy about them and he talked like they were kind of a novelty. Rough trigger, not accurate etc. . I picked up my ammo and left.
Later I thought, they're not really that bad looking in a funny way and very good cond w/holster & accessories.
Last summer in my LGS they had several lined up in the case $129. So I bought one & two boxes of shells. I do like it ,the history, all the stuff that came with it & good cond. I might even get around to shooting it one day, but now it's more of a safe queen
I enjoyed seeing the YouTube video of shooting one suppressed. The only revolver I'm aware of that can do that.
It might be a similar case like when the sks's started coming in and $79 on sale.