The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 26, 2012, 01:46 AM   #51
Metal Bird

Also for the $45 transfer fee, I feel that is on the high end. FFL transfer fees can range from $10 to $50, just depends on the person or place.
Some full time gun shops charge the high end because of overhead of the business and some think that the high price will help encourage the buyer to buy from what is in stock in the store.
Smaller part time or private FFLs charge less. I pay $20 my FFL, tho last time he didn't charge me anything but I still gave him a little something to be nice back. He is a full time gunsmith that works out of his house.
Buds has an FFL Dealer search to aid you in choosing the right place at the right price. Some are established with Buds already others you would have to contact first about them getting the paperwork they need to complete the order. There are other FFL Locators out there to help you find someone with a better price. So unless you really like who it is that you go thru I recommend you find someone else you like that will like you back and charge you less.
Old November 26, 2012, 03:04 AM   #52
XtremeRevolution

That is a very sharp looking gun! I'm getting excited to buy one now. I will have to find some nice grips for it.

Thanks for the advice on the FFL search.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old November 26, 2012, 06:42 PM   #53
marine6680

I think one of these will be on my list for a next pistol.

Been wanting a 1911... shot several, I'm dead on with them... never owned one.

As much as I like 1911s, I wouldn't shoot it very much/as much as my others pistols... getting one of these would be a good alternative.
Old November 26, 2012, 06:54 PM   #54
XtremeRevolution

Reading up more, I discovered that they do indeed take Kimber 1911 .22 magazines. I called up RIA and confirmed that with them as well, so I ordered two ProMag 14 round magazines.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/394...-polymer-black
Old November 28, 2012, 05:32 PM   #55
XtremeRevolution

Got my gun ordered today! I ordered it online from budsgunshop.com. I found a highly rated FFL nearby that will charge me $20 to transfer the handgun. Including the $5 of insurance, total for me will be $467 shipped. So far, my research on other forums is showing this as a very highly reviewed gun, preferred to even the buckmark and ruger 22/45. Can't wait to get it!

Old November 28, 2012, 06:35 PM   #56
Metal Bird

Xtreme, that is sweet, good deal too. I Got mine from Cheaper Than Dirt, that and FFL, all in all I was at $480.
Let us know how it runs for you!
Old December 4, 2012, 02:32 PM   #57
XtremeRevolution

My gun is shipping out today from budsgunshop. Hopefully, I can have it in my hands by the end of the week. Getting a bit excited.

Old December 4, 2012, 04:49 PM   #58
PT-92

Quote:
XtremeRevolution

My gun is shipping out today from budsgunshop. Hopefully, I can have it in my hands by the end of the week. Getting a bit excited.
Congrats on what surely will be a great gun!

I love my GSG 1911 and it's been rock-solid to be sure, but the RIA was my first choice when I was in the market--I opted for the GSG because I just wanted a nice plinker (1911 model) that was at a defined price-point.

Keep us posted.

Old December 8, 2012, 09:35 PM   #59
XtremeRevolution

Got the gun today! Online Auctions by John was great to work with. John was very courteous, and got me out the door for $23. The casing and the gun were in great shape, so I went home with it.

A few notes: the gun feels great. Very nicely built, and very solid. Took me almost no time to figure out how to disassemble it. Disassembly is very slightly different than a centerfire 1911, but not by much. Instead of removing the recoil spring first, you remove the slide lock first, which allows the slide, barrel, and recoil spring to come out as one piece, very similar to a glock.

I do have one issue with it though, and that's the magazine. I'll call up RIA on Monday to see if they can send me a new one, but the magazine it came with is pure junk. It doesn't fit straight, and it doesn't lock into the gun, meaning you can simply slide it down without pressing the magazine release.

The two ProMag 14-round magazines I bought, which are designed for the Kimber 1911 .22 conversion, did fit much better. I did have one hickup with those, and that's that the top right edge of the magazine rubbed against the slide as the slide moved back in, so I spent a few minutes filing them down and they now work perfectly. I took pictures of the process and will post them in a new thread.

All in all, I like it. Hopefully RIA will send me a good magazine that will lock in like the ProMag magazines do and not give me any issues.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:21 PM   #60
Metal Bird

Great to hear you received the pistol!

I am sure RIA will take care of you just fine to fix the mag issue.

I have 7 mags all together for this, the original one and 6 Kimber PN#1100018 mags. I was told by the guy at RIA that these were the exact same mags they issue with the gun (just that they do not say Kimber on the bottom). I got a good price on buying a handful of those on FeeBay so I jumped on it.
As mentioned previously I removed the spacer from the spring and made them all a 15 round mag like they are supposed to be.
They all lock in good and drop free except for one of the Kimber ones, it is tighter and drags a little more. Don't know if it is thinker or warped a bit.

Happy Shooting!
Old December 10, 2012, 12:45 PM   #61
XtremeRevolution

I have to say I'm enjoying this.

I went to the store the other day and bought some federal .22 amo to cycle through the gun and magazines and also ended up getting a couple of cleaning kits while I was there. Spent last night taking apart this gun and my '94 30-30 Winchester and giving them both a thorough cleaning. The gun was a bit dirty but it cleaned right up. I'm quite excited to go out and use it. Hopefully, I can get out to a range this week and give it a try.

I did dry fire it a few times and confirmed that there is a firing pin stop that prevents the gun from damaging itself when dry fired.

I also discovered I can put a .45 or 9mm top end on this gun for $285, which includes the extractor.

Last edited by XtremeRevolution; December 10, 2012 at 01:11 PM.