The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Xfire68

Best prices on Military surplus powders and bullets?

I am looking to do some bulk reloading of target ammo and want to get some cheaper bulk "Pulled" military powder and bullets.

Do any of you know the best sites to order from?
Old November 16, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2
browninghunter86

Wideners but have to be lucky to catch it as soon as they post it available online!!!
Old November 16, 2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Jimro

Try Jeff Bartlett, www.gibrass.com

Has both powder and bullets usually.

Jimro
Old November 17, 2012, 12:16 AM   #4
chris in va

Polygunbags.
Old November 17, 2012, 02:21 AM   #5
snuffy

http://www.hi-techammo.com/

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 17, 2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Xfire68

Yes Snuffy I was going to place a order for 32lbs of powder from Hitech last night but when I went to order they were out of stock of all but, .50 cal powders! SOB!
Old November 17, 2012, 01:29 PM   #7
CharlieDeltaJuliet

The surplus and pulled bullets and powder I buy comes from Wideners. It is the best place or me to get 50 BMG plinking supplies. Plus I am an hour and ten minutes from their store, so it helps if I have a large order to just go pick it up and save hazmat shipping.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old November 17, 2012, 02:11 PM   #8
Xfire68

Wideners is out of stock as well other then the 844T tracer powder which I ordered 16lbs of. I would have ordered more of it but, I wanted to test it out first?

Looks like the crunch is on!
Old November 19, 2012, 09:58 PM   #9
medalguy

No one as far as I can tell has very much selection of pulldown stuff any more. I'm afraid the days of cheap powder and bullets are behind us.
Old November 19, 2012, 11:17 PM   #10
Jimro

medalguy,

The massive orders for the DOD for use in the mid east will eventually get demilled and fill the system back up. Prices will be different, inflation sucks, but unless there is a change in the laws for .gov surplus, things will return to normal sometime.

Jimro
Old November 20, 2012, 12:39 AM   #11
Xfire68

So far I am not happy with Wideners! The site won't let me login and they are not replying to me emails??

I guess they don't care much once they have your cash? LOL

Heck all I wanted to do was buy more stuff and have it shipped with this order! I sent the email minutes after placing the order and now the order has processed without even replying telling me that they can't add anything to the order!
Old November 20, 2012, 03:27 AM   #12
warningshot

I havn't been able to keep up with Wideners's Web page either. But the telephone works everytime for me since 1981.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Xfire68

I would have called (I did call but, they were closed) but, was not able to during their business hours. Why have email as a customer service option if your not going to reply?
Old November 20, 2012, 11:28 AM   #14
JimDandy

If they're out of almost everything it stands to reason they're busy enough a delay in email is attributable to the same reasons. When I run into situations like this, I like to take a deep breath and relax. It helps me to remember this is not the matrix, I am not The One, and from time to time I have to stand in a line, or otherwise wait my turn.
Old November 20, 2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Xfire68

I called today and even though the order won't even ship till next Monday I can't add anything to the order. Yes they are busy but............ I am not upset about it all. After all it was me that forgot to add the bullets to the order to begin with.

This being a "Holiday" week I will cut them some slack but, I will more then likely order from my normal sources in the future.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:53 PM   #16
medalguy

Jimro, Yes the games in the sandbox will wind down one day, but none of the surplus ammo will be demilled to make components available to us. According to what I have read from several sources, Clinton changed the rules after the Talon debacle and all surplus ammo now is burned/blown up and not allowed to be demilled. Hopefully CMP will get some of it to sell but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for components.

I understand there are small lots of LC ammo demilled by the government contractor if it doesn't meet their requirements, but the large-scale quantities of powder and bullets I believe are a thing of the past. I hope I'm wrong about this.
Old November 21, 2012, 01:08 PM   #17
Edward429451

Is that what happened to Hi-Tech? Government? I used to buy a lot from them but lately the link takes me right to outofstock.com
Old November 21, 2012, 03:42 PM   #18
Jimro

Medalguy, whatever you read about powder not being demilled and sold is wrong. You can check the .gov auction site online and occasionally you'll see demilled powder come up. Spent brass is plentiful. Last time I saw an auction for powder the quantities listed was on the order of 30 tons, back in 2008. Haven't checked much since then.

Jimro
Old November 22, 2012, 01:14 AM   #19
medalguy

I saw that offering but it was I think either .50 or 20mm powder. I haven't seen any small caliber stuff advertised in the past several years, so I'm going by what I've read on several forums. May be wrong, sure hope so.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:52 AM   #20
Xfire68

There was 5.56 powder in stock just a few days ago but I waited to long. Hitech emailed me and they will have more in stock soon.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:16 PM   #21
snuffy

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Looks like Jeff Bartlett has plenty of the faster burn rate powder available. WC-844 is loaded using H-335 data, @ $100.00/8 pounds puts it at $12.50 per pound. Of course, the hazmat fee's come into consideration, but you should get a lot of good powder for much less that buying it commercially.

That's IF you were to buy it at a LGS. If you ordered it from powder valley, hazmat enters into the equation again.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 30, 2012, 11:24 AM   #22
Xfire68

Update on Wideners. My items still have not shipped on a order placed on the 16th!

Called again today and all they can say is they are busy! LOL

I understand 4-5 days to process the order but 10 is out of hand and she told me it will not ship till next week!

Never again!
Old November 30, 2012, 12:42 PM   #23
Marco Califo

Re: Wideners

Their website clearly states (and IIRC, has for 3 weeks):
"Current Shipping Delay for ALL items 8-12 Business Days after receipt of order."
You are within that period. So, what exactly is your complaint? Or, spend more at: http://www.gibrass.com/
Old November 30, 2012, 02:33 PM   #24
Xfire68

At the time I placed my order I did not go to their home page I was brought right to the items I was searching for from the search engine and nowhere is there a delay warning on the product page, shopping chart or checkout?

They should have the shipping delay warning either on all product pages or in the checkout process before paying.

Until you pointed out the notice on the home page I was unaware of it even after speaking on the phone with them twice??

Had I known there was such a long delay I would have just waited for another site to get the same items back in stock which will be this week.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:29 AM   #25
rodfac

Plus one on Jeff Bartlett's GIBrass...good guy, good prices, no BS. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.