The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 21, 2001, 06:50 PM   #1
Rusty S

At a goodsize store the other day, overheard the owner telling a man that he'd sent back more Leupold scopes than all the others put together, and that included a couple lines of pretty cheap scopes.

Has anybody heard of this elsewhere? Or is it just one source? Now that Leupold has the "made in America" market to itself, is it getting sloppy, pushing things thru the line and taking care of it later?

Went looking for used Redfields over on Guns America and found very few Redfields listed. Wonder why? Maybe people keep them when they sell the guns? What about the other older made in America scopes, like the older Weaver and Lyman? Or are the Redfield, Lyman, and Weaver outdone thru new technology?
Old February 21, 2001, 07:11 PM   #2
Nevada Fitch

I would say that the store owner was lying.Probably because He was trying to push a cheap piece of junk Tasco off on the other man.One thing I have learned in over 30 years of trading and buying guns for my own use is that most gun dealers either don't know the truth or won't tell the truth most of the time concerning the products they sell.They will never call a spade a spade either. Go in a gunshop and ask which kinds of pistols are the most reliable or which are more prone to jam.You will very seldom ever get anything close to the truth.At any rate don't be afraid of Leupolds I won't buy anything else and I have tried everything else in the past.
Old February 24, 2001, 01:59 AM   #3
sig970

Wouldn't own anything but a leupold. Great quality, plus I live 10 mile from the plant. I too wouldn't believe anyone that told me that they were constantly sending back leupold scopes. Buy one, you won't regret it.
Old February 24, 2001, 09:35 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I think Nevada Fitch hit the nail on the head. The guy is probably pushing what he has on his shelves. Gale McMillan was a big advocate of Leupold scopes. Do a search here at TFL to find his old post.
Old February 24, 2001, 10:31 PM   #5
John Marshall

You can't find better or more informed advocacy than from Gale McMillan. And, IMHO, Leupold scopes are the best you can buy without spending $2000.

Not to mention, in the very unlikely event that one would need factory service, Leupold will fix it, no questions asked, for as long you or anyone you sell it to is alive.