The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 30, 2011, 04:56 PM   #51
HisSoldier

Belatedly I'd like to add that there is no good reason for the common assumption that having a Dremel at hand is an invitation to shoddy work. I think most gunsmiths have and use a Dremel on occasion. Anyone who would produce cruddy work with a Dremel would produce cruddy work with a Foredom, and frankly I find the Foredom to be far less convenient than a Dremel. The correct uses for a Dremel are almost endless.
I have close to 1/2 million bucks worth of tools in my shop, and still find the Dremel handy at times, in fact, at times it is the correct tool for the job at hand.

As far as rude people goes, yes, there does exist a "piling on" effect in a forum like this, I've seen it many times. If anyone wants to see how bad it can be, start reading the comments under Youtube videos, that's where you will see that a large percentage of people cannot make a point without using disgusting language and saying things about others that certainly don't reflect any understanding of the Golden rule.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old January 30, 2011, 06:11 PM   #52
Frontier

An interesting discussion, guys! One point I would question is that Cimarron and others "cherry pick" their guns from Uberti. I have seen this posted often before but I do not believe it to be true. I have visited the Uberti factory and there was no evidence of any special treatment for the various US importers. I doubt that anyone there had the time to check every gun that came off the line to pick out the "good ones".

Frontier
Old January 31, 2011, 06:21 AM   #53
Doc Hoy

You lucky dog

What an opportunity!? Visiting the Uberti Factory!

I would love to see it.
Old January 31, 2011, 10:56 AM   #54
Bootsie

I kind of lost track of the issues of this controversal thread but I like Frontier's Doc Hoy's comments regarding Uberti. Have been to that company twice recently and can confirm it is worth more than one visit when you happen to be in the Milano or Venice area.
Very friendly and helpful people there although they are now part of the Beretta group. Actually Beretta helped a lot to improving their quality standards and investing into state of the art machinery.
If you have a problem with one of their guns no matter if it is a cartridge pistol or muzzle loader tell them. They solve it right there ... on the spot. They will even let you talk to their gun smiths on the production floor. If you happen to be at the factory during the right time of the year you might have the chance to see a few of Uberti's exquisite, selected exhibition guns and also prototypes. They have a museum area there near the conference room where you can have a look at all the guns you always wanted to own and then some.
Let my know if you are in need of Uberti contact information.
Bootsie
Old February 2, 2011, 02:21 AM   #55
62coltnavy

Have you seen Uberti's website? They do custom engraving and show examples of stuff I've never seen here--but unless there is a dealer that can order it, I think it's unobtanium. http://www.ubertireplicas.com/