The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 18, 2024, 02:25 PM   #1
Pumpkin

CCI 45 ACP Shot Shells in a 625

So, I have a pack of CCI 45ACP shot shells. On the package it says, not for use in revolvers. Any thoughts on why these should work any different than the 38/44 shot shells in a revolver? Seems like they would work pretty good on an old rattler.
Old February 18, 2024, 02:35 PM   #2
Jim Watson

They are long enough to have a bottleneck into the chamber throat. Like any bottleneck in a revolver, when fired the case sets back against the breech face, the case expands up to the throat and holds it there, binding the rotation.
Old February 18, 2024, 03:27 PM   #3
rc

Ouch, that would be an expensive and complicated repair!!!!
Old February 18, 2024, 03:50 PM   #4
Pumpkin

Thanks Jim,
I guess that if it used a capsule like the other ones they make this would solve the problem.
Now I have a reason to buy a new 629!
Old February 18, 2024, 07:22 PM   #5
HighValleyRanch

The .38's are good enough for rattlers. Dispatched a few with them!
Old February 18, 2024, 07:31 PM   #6
surveyor

I havent tried them in a 635, but have in a 1911.
Old February 18, 2024, 08:40 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Ouch, that would be an expensive and complicated repair!!!!
If you're talking about a revolver "bound up" due to case setback, its usually neither expensive nor complicated.

USUALLY there is no damage to the gun, and rarely does the setback case prevent the cylinder being opened (though it may take a few light taps with a plastic mallet). Once the cylinder is opened removing the offending case is simple, and normally that fully restores the gun to full function with proper ammunition.
Old February 18, 2024, 10:32 PM   #8
Pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
The .38's are good enough for rattlers. Dispatched a few with them!
Oh yeah, I have a 642 that’s up about 12 to 0 concerning rattlers and copperheads. A buddy gave me the 45 shot shells.
Old February 19, 2024, 12:56 PM   #9
Webleymkv

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson
They are long enough to have a bottleneck into the chamber throat. Like any bottleneck in a revolver, when fired the case sets back against the breech face, the case expands up to the throat and holds it there, binding the rotation.
While it is true that bottleneck cartridges can sometimes be problematic in revolvers, it's not a hard and fast rule. Revolvers have historically been made, and in a few cases continue to be made, is several bottleneck cartridges the most popular probably being .32-20, .38-40, and .44-40. These cartridges, however, usually have long necks and bottlenecks that are less pronounced than those of more modern cartridges (you have to look pretty closely at .44-40 to even see the bottleneck).

As to .45 ACP shotshells and revolvers, I suspect that, due to the elongated case, CCI says not to use them in revolvers more out of concerns about proper headspacing than binding the action. I had an acquaintance many years ago who routinely used them in a Colt M1917 revolver to shoot pigeons under the steel awning over the firing line at his gun club (they'd kill the pigeon but wouldn't blow holes in the awning). He was quite satisfied with their function but he also always used them with moon clips. Not all .45 ACP revolvers use moonclips, however, and if you were to try to use them in something like a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible's .45 ACP cylinder, I could see them potentially being problematic.
Old February 20, 2024, 06:52 AM   #10
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Is this just a .45 ACP thing or are all rimless shotshell calibers an issue in revolvers chambered for rimless calibers?
Old February 21, 2024, 03:40 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Is this just a .45 ACP thing or are all rimless shotshell calibers an issue in revolvers chambered for rimless calibers?
I'd say its a CCI .45ACP shotshell thing. Clearly they think its a thing with THAT ammo, otherwise they wouldn't put a warning on the box.

No one else I know does that, and CCI shotshells I've had in .38 and .44 calibers don't have that warning.

Not everything made is made for everything.

Ever see the .22LR shotshells, the ones with the pointed, folded brass crimp?
They work fine in revolvers, and single shots, but not in semi autos.

They will fit, feed (by hand) and fire just fine, but seldom cycle the action and rarely even extract, "Semiautomatically".