The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2012, 02:20 PM   #1
dado5

I dont care if I save money reloading....I like it!!

I started reloading a few years ago and just keep getting more and more excited about it. I always read threads and hear people saying how it doesnt pay to reload anymore. Well I just wanted to say that it doesnt matter to me. There are some calibers which I know it is cheaper to reload (i.e. my 45-70) but others I just like being able to shoot whatever bullet I feel like trying in that gun. My wife has an entire craft room full of stuff b/c that is her hobby, not because she makes it cheaper than she can buy it. One of my hobbies is reloading, it doesnt need to make me money. Thanks for listening.
Old November 20, 2012, 02:33 PM   #2
RobertInIowa

Welcome to the addiction.
Old November 20, 2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Vance

Not necessarily to save money. I just find that I shoot more now that I reload.
Old November 20, 2012, 04:18 PM   #4
BigJimP

I agree.....a lot of us consider reloading part of the gun hobby / and the reality is we shoot 3 or 4 times more with the same ammo budget because we reload....

But your buddies are also wrong on savings....I can even reload 9mm with a premium FMJ bullet for under $6 a box vs $ 10 - $12 retail in my area / and other calibers will give you even more savings..../ my reloads on .45 acp are about $8 a box vs $ 22 or so retail...( 230gr FMJ bullet again )....

but I'd reload as well ...even if the savings were a push....
Old November 20, 2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm beginning to agree. At first, reloading was just a way to get affordable ammo, and it still serves that purpose, but I also shoot FAAAaaaarrr more than I ever did before and I'm starting to enjoy the actual reloading a bit too.

I'm a little scared by that... this could get expensive.
Old November 20, 2012, 04:24 PM   #6
mumbo719

I'm with you.

I do it because I enjoy it, PERIOD!
Old November 20, 2012, 04:31 PM   #7
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
It's my therapy , can't afford a shrink ! I just feel safer loading my own , every round is CUSTOM at no extra charge . Same reason I raise my own livestock , I know what's gone into it , and what hasn't .
Old November 20, 2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Ambishot

Saving money wasn't ever a reason that I got into reloading. I find that my reloads are far more accurate through my rifles than factory loads. (the factory loads that I've tried, that is)
Old November 20, 2012, 05:02 PM   #9
capodastro

I do it because I love it and I think especially with something like 500 S&W, I will be saving $ very soon. It takes awhile to make up for the cost of the initial equipment, but after that........
Old November 20, 2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Misssissippi Dave

I consider reloading a hobby. Hobbies often get to be expensive. This is one hobby I have so far that I actually have that supports another hobby (shooting) that also brings down the cost of a second hobby.

There aren't many hobbies I like doing able to enhance a second hobby. If I were to only break even loading my own, I will still do it. I can't think of a single center fire metallic case ammo where it costs me more to reload my own compared to store bought factory ammo. Hobby time is creative use of my free time. It isn't something I place a price on as a part of what I might save or not. It sure is a nice feeling to be able to go to the shelf and grab what I want to shoot. It beats going store to store trying to find at least one box of a certain caliber then paying way more than I can afford to pay. I don't shoot any less than I did before getting back into reloading.
Old November 20, 2012, 06:53 PM   #11
mmb713

I never saved any money by reloading either. Just shot a whole lot more. And once I got into reloading that became the hobby. I went from reloading so that I could shoot to shooting so that I could reload.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:04 PM   #12
delta tide

I started reloading in order to shoot more. Now shoot so I can reload more.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Daggitt

It has definitely saved me money. I was shocked at how ammo prices have gone up. I have used the same press for about 15 years so my fixed costs are near zero. I can reload any round cheaper than I can buy it.I started doing it to save money. I now also truly enjoy doing it. I don't want to hex myself but I have had very very few problems doing it. It is something that must be taken seriously , but I have not found it to be difficult. I pressed a 44 bullet too far into the case once and it wasn't coming back out. So I threw that one out. That's the only failure I really have had.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:40 PM   #14
Magnum Mike

Isn't it great to show up shooting, with a bunch of buddies. They have 1 or 2 boxes of cheap ammo and you almost need a 2 wheeler to haul yours to the bench!
Old November 20, 2012, 07:44 PM   #15
serf 'rett

"Hello, my name is 'rett. I reload my own!"

Group responds, "Hello, 'rett!" ....

Yep. Addict.

I'm having a blast reloading for pistols, but sense the serious rifle stuff is impending. The very thought of one ragged hole has me drooling on my shoes.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:47 PM   #16
serf 'rett

Mag Mike - I'm certainly glad I didn't have a mouthful before I read your two wheeler hauler remark; would have been cleanup time for sure!
Old November 20, 2012, 07:48 PM   #17
floydster

I enjoy reloading as much as I do shooting
Old November 20, 2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Misssissippi Dave

I do plan to use a hand cart on my next outdoor range trip. My range bag is just too heavy when I put the ammo in the bag. The outdoor range is not one of those per hour affairs. It is nice to quit when your are ready and not because you don't have enough ammo. I couldn't do this without reloading.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:47 PM   #19
Edward429451

Reloading kept me out of trouble and thereby helped my Marriage. Who knows what trouble I may have gotten into down at the beer joint instead of being in the reloading room downstairs?

Reloading is seriously interesting. Especially when combined with a casting setup and a chronograph. If one were to add even a single boolit to homecast (HA!) then boom, the bottom drops out of the (usually) most expensive part of reloading and boolits start costing 2 cents apiece or less, instead of 10 or 15 cents apiece that store-boughts cost.

Home-casting brings the cost of most popular (small cased) rounds down to below the cost of decent 22 LR's. For example, I can load 100 38/44 Specials for about 4 dollars. The 357/44 Mags about a dollar more for powder overall. A box of 100 CCI Mini-Mags cost 6.99.

Even if I got crippled up or whatever and couldn't go shooting anymore, I would want to continue to reload because it is just so darn interesting that it's a hobby unto itself.
Old November 21, 2012, 01:39 AM   #20
brigond

I started reloading cause it would save me money . I didnt realize what was involved . Once I researched it and started making my own ammo it became more and more interesting. Never did I think of it as hobby. I began to realize that it was becoming something to fill the void between range trips. I can't shoot all day long so this is at least something to do with shooting until the next (weekly) range trip. I don't have much time during the week but I manage to make enough rounds for the weekly trip. Now, I have to say that this is the best hobby you can have. It saves you money and you love doing it. I can't walk passed my press set up without stopping to press out a couple ,and if I don't have time I just admire it for a moment. When she asks the kids " where's your father?" Their response is " he's probably probably making bullets mommy. " I bumped into a guy at the range
who also casts his own bullets. He showed me some really nice quality bullets. They were like little gleaming pieces of gun jewelry. I thought to myself , I can do that . For the sake of marriage and family I'm gonna try to hold off on extending this hobby. I don't know for how long though.
Old November 21, 2012, 01:46 AM   #21
praetorian97

The actual end product saves me a ton and let's me shoot more, but thank god I don't factor in all the extra equipment and toys to reload. At this rate I'd need to reload for a small country at war to break even
Old November 21, 2012, 05:23 AM   #22
twins

Is this the same as "I don't care if I eat too much and get fat.....I like it"?

If the cost of reloading has a negative return (costs 2x more than running to Walmart for a box of ammo), then I'm definitely out. I reload to get best accuracy from my firearms. But I'm not willing to go blindly at it either.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:48 AM   #23
rebs

I completely enjoy loading my own ammo, saving money is only a side benefit for me. Also now that I am retired I am enjoying it even more. I find it very rewarding to see how my own hand loads shoot.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:35 AM   #24
Shootest

I don’t know of any factory ammunition that is tailor made to shoot in my firearms, at any price. So if I compare apples to apples I’m sure I’m saving large amounts of cash vs. custom manufactured ammo.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:59 AM   #25
hAkron

I reload for anything I shoot. Mostly 9mm and 12ga where the savings can be negligible...however, the ability to tailor my rounds to my needs is the real advantage. I can't go to Walmart and get 3/4oz 12ga target loads. Sometimes I can't even go to Walmart and get 9mm, because the idiot kid is nowhere to be found .