The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 29, 2009, 04:28 PM   #1
chris in va

Why get a state permit?

Kentucky has a 6-month residency requirement (why, I don't know) before I can apply for a CC permit. In the meantime I've been using my FL non-resident.

Simply put, is it necessary to get a KY permit?
Old May 31, 2009, 06:09 AM   #2
J.Netto

I would call the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, or the Kentucky State Police, and ask them if you can use your Florida License now that you are a Kentucky resident. Better safe than sorry. Maybe the one you have now is valid until you meet the residency requirement. I don't know?
Old May 31, 2009, 06:30 AM   #3
blume357

There comes a point when you can get so bogged down in

trying to figure out gun laws.... that you just want to give up.

I'd say that according to KY you aren't a resident until after 6 months, so your FL permit is good... now the time between applying and getting the permit is a different issue...

but I personally would not fret it too much.
Old May 31, 2009, 01:42 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

If you intend to become a resident

Then you need a resident permit. Period. You non-res permit is good until you become a resident, but after that, you need the resident permit. Otherwise, you are at legal risk.

How long can you (legally) drive your car with out of state plates? On your out of state license? What happens when you violate these rules? A fine, right? What happens when you violate gun laws? Criminal charges! Don't be foolish!
Old May 31, 2009, 01:44 PM   #5
SigfanTN

I would say yes, once you've passed the residency time period.

Some states require notification of a move within the state during a certain time period in order for their permit to remain valid. It is not too hard to imagine that an out of state permit wouldn't necessarily be recognized within your state of residency in lieu of possessing a valid permit for your home state.

Further, I believe Florida, for reciprocity purposes, only recognizes permits from other states if the permit-holder is a resident of the state issuing the permit. Since you possess a non-resident Florida permit, I'm not sure how this would affect the validity of your permit in the state of Florida.

My best guess would be to just be on the safe side and get your KY permit. My responses here should be worth exactly what they cost you, so check with the authorities.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:07 PM   #6
DonR101395

Check your state laws; some states like MI won't recognize an out of state permit unless your are a resident of the issuing state.
Old June 1, 2009, 11:13 PM   #7
chris in va

Quote:
You non-res permit is good until you become a resident

The FL non-res permit doesn't work like that guys. It's good for 5 years, no matter what state you claim residence in. It won't expire just because you moved to another state (and yes, I called to be sure).

Quote:
Some states require notification of a move within the state during a certain time period in order for their permit to remain valid
I also asked this, she said it doesn't matter.

Other people pointed out I will lose WV if I don't get a KY permit, so looks like for that reason alone I need to get one.
Old June 2, 2009, 12:17 PM   #8
vranasaurus

Some states won't recognize out of state permits possessed by it's own residents. I can't remember if Kentucky is that way or not.
Old June 2, 2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The FL non-res permit doesn't work like that guys. It's good for 5 years, no matter what state you claim residence in. It won't expire just because you moved to another state (and yes, I called to be sure).
The question is not about the validity of the permit, per say. It's really a question of whether or not a resident can use an out of state non-resident permit in place of a permit from the actual state of residence. My guess is NO.
Old June 2, 2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Housezealot

My understanding (And I could be wrong) is that some states like MI that require training for CCW onle recognize ccw from other states that require training. there used to be a compatability chart on packing.org but as you know.....
Old June 2, 2009, 01:15 PM   #11
Housezealot

here you go. just click on your state and this will tell you were your good.
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html
Old June 2, 2009, 01:41 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

This is a bit of a tricky one. I know KY honors the Florida permit, however, once you become a resident of Kentucky, I'm not sure how they would look at it. Clearly the Florida permit would still be valid but if might raise an eyebrow with the local police if ever questioned.

I'd contact the State Police and ask them. If your Florida permit / Kentucky residency CCW works, you'll know it. If it doesn't, you'll know that as well.

Quote:
Other people pointed out I will lose WV if I don't get a KY permit, so looks like for that reason alone I need to get one.
If you get your KY permit, the course really isn't too bad. I found the course work basic but an interesting refresher in gun safety. The range test is very simple.