The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: How do you hunt Antelope? Have your methods changed over time?
I truck hunt, mostly. (Includes ATVs, etc.) 5 27.78%
I stalk, mostly. 11 61.11%
I prefer a hunting blind. 0 0%
I use decoys (with or without a blind). 0 0%
I have used the 'white flag' method 2 11.11%
I pay guides to tell me what to shoot. I don't really hunt. 0 0%
I have changed methods moderate (please check your current method, and explain the change). 0 0%
I have altered my method substantially, over time (check current method, and explain the change). 3 16.67%
I read books in camp, and let the goats come to me. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 17, 2010, 04:11 AM   #1
FrankenMauser

How do you hunt Pronghorn Antelope? (Has the method changed over time?)

If you don't want to read the whole post, just skip to the bottom for an explanation of the poll.

I was raised to think the only proper method of hunting Pronghorn Antelope was by finding a way to get close in a truck, jumping out, and trying to get a shot off, before the herd reached Mach 7 (antelope will likely to be referred to as "goats", "speed goats", "horned camels", or "prairie maggots" from here on).

However, I never liked the method. It just seemed too un-sportsman-like. It felt more like "chase 'em down and kill 'em season", than "hunting season". Over the years, I had many, many encounters with speed goats, that really made me doubt my elders' 'wisdom', that, "you can't get close to antelope. They just run, as soon as they see you; doesn't matter if it's 1000 yards, or 2 miles." In my family, the thought of stalking antelope was tantamount to blasphemy. Between curious goats, that actually came to see what I was (and what I was doing), and encounters where the goats didn't care what I was, they just let me approach them; I figured it was time to make up my own mind.

So, in 2007, I tried a stalk (the beginning of which actually included being chastised by my father, for trying to stalk antelope...). My little brother, and I stalked what turned out to be a herd comprised entirely of bucks (we had doe tags), to within 75 feet. Long story short (it was a 2-3 hour stalk), we ended up taking 650 yard shots at a totally different herd. I made a head shot. My little brother made a heart shot. It was technically a failed stalk, but really opened my eyes.

2008 was a bad, bad year. I still have nightmares about what I did to that poor antelope... For those that haven't read my previous posts, I shot a doe in the butt, at about 400 yards. My brothers blame the rifle (the scoped turned out to have shifted), because I have a history of pulling off impressive shots; but I was the one that pulled the trigger. I shot her in the butt. But that's not all. She managed to evade a killing blow for 600 yards or more (I don't know how far it really was -- I couldn't run as fast as this doe was still going on 2.5 good legs). It was a horrible, horrifying, eye-opening experience.

Since those combined experiences, I have put forth a great effort to change the way I approach antelope hunting. Sure, I can use the standard "we-have-to-fill-73-tags-in-22-hours, run-and-gun" method, but it is so much more fun when the hunt becomes a battle of wits. In the last few years, I have had some amazing stalks on antelope. I have had far more blown stalks (whether the fault of myself, or other hunters), but that is inevitable.

Oddly enough, some of my favorite stalks have been blown stalks, or stalks where I actually decided not to take the animal. I knew they were dead, and, at the time, that was good enough for me. This year's hunt provided 2 new, successful stalks that will go in my top 3.

Long story short, I ended up in a shallow saddle, on a small ridge, by a water hole. The goats were all bedded-down at about 125 yards, but I wasn't happy... I needed to get closer (yea, I was pushing my luck, since they could already see me, but I had to do it... half of them were asleep!). I ended up low-crawling to within 75-80 yards of the closest buck, being in full view of the entire herd at my final shooting position (it was an area with the low, 8-12" sagebrush), and actually on the facing slope of the ridge.

I plugged the biggest antelope in the herd, a doe (odd, I know), at the longest range any of them were from me, while still lying down. I estimated her to be 100-110 yards. I actually had to click my wedding ring against my rifle stock, to make the bucks stand up, so the doe would turn her head. I had to make sure her cheeks were perfectly white (one of my hunting party got a "wrong sex" warning last year; for shooting a buck, even though the ranger admitted that the cheek patch was nearly invisible, the body smaller than the normal buck, and the horns below the ears, so he would have shot it too...).

The bullet shattered her pelvis, as it moved forward through the spine, before passing into the chest cavity. She bled out, internally. No follow-up was needed. The massive CNS trauma made gutting her alone interesting though (I was a 1/2 mile from my napping wife, and more than a mile from camp -- so, no one heard the shots, or saw me giving the "goat down" signal). Almost every muscle in her body was twitching uncontrollably, for well over an hour.

My number 1 favorite stalk was the last tag I filled (Sunday morning). One of my nephews kept telling me "there's goats just over the river, at the edge of the sagebrush"; referring to and area about 900 yards down a dry creek we were camped at the edge of (though its snow-run-off season's size would be considered a river in many western states). I kept telling him, "they're too far, I can't get close". I was wrong. One of my brothers prodded me into a "short" stalk.

I honestly can't tell you how long it took, I'd guess more than an hour, but I ended up closer than I expected. The things were in a very precarious spot. If I accidentally walked too far down the dry creek bed, they would spook before I knew they were gone. If I came up on the bank too early, I might spook them at 300 yards, and lose them over a 6 foot swell (it's a really flat area of land - a 6 foot swell can hide the goats for 1/2 mile some times).

I ended up haphazardly stumbling upon the herd by unintentionally running into two bucks that were rejoining them. I was certain those bucks were going to blow the stalk. They couldn't have been more than 75 yards away, with me hiding behind only a couple sagebrush bushes. But, my sudden awareness of the 'bucks from nowhere' drew my attention to the herd being closer than anticipated. The bucks located me, but I did some successful "antelope confusion" maneuvers (staying visible, but making them wonder what the hell I was doing -- a topic of its own), and they eventually gave up on me.

I dropped back into the dry creek, closed the gap, and popped back up. I had to crawl through a hole in the sagebrush no bigger than something a coyote would use, but took my time; to avoid the goats having the slightest idea I was there. I did a quick jump (on my knees) across a gap in the ground cover, and set up behind a dying sagebrush bush. I propped my rifle on the $2.81 shooting sticks my brother insisted I carry (thank you), shimmied a bit to the side, to line my rifle up in the V-notch of the bush, and watched the herd. They were casually feeding on a sun-lit swell, about 200 yards away.

My brothers were watching, in the distance, from a ridge next to our camp. They saw the herd spook, and knew I had blown the stalk. Each of them told me they had the same exclamation of "Oh Sh**". They knew I would have a bit of a dejected look on my face, after the walk of shame back to camp (and the search for a jacket I left somewhere along the bank). Then, the bang-thwap, made it to them. They know the sound of a good hit, when they hear it. The bullet entered the bridge of her nose, passed through the base of the skull, and exited slightly to the left, out the back of the spine. She was brain dead before here heart even knew what happened (although "canoe head" is a common occurrence around me, this doe's head looked intact... her skull and brain matter, however, were not).

For being able to use a dry creek for cover, it was an amazingly difficult stalk. My brother's inference of a "short stalk" was totally off. I covered more than 1/2 mile in loud gravel (baby stepping to keep the noise down) and loose sand, with frequent climbs up the 8-14 foot bank, to locate the herd. And that is why it will be my #1 for some time to come. "You can't stalk antelope!" will forever burn in my memory, as I remember the image I had of that doe's face, before ending her life so quickly.

My thoughts on hunting speed goats had been swaying before, but after this year, I can't imagine things any other way. I have to stalk them.

Which brings me to the point of this thread.
I was raised under the assumption that you have to run prairie maggots down in a truck, jump out, and shoot them. I never liked it, and my own experiences showed that various stalking methods can be successful in several different types of terrain (my stalking is not limited to the examples here). ...Not only successful, but much more rewarding.

How do you hunt? (I won't criticize you, if you truck hunt - I promise.)
Have your techniques changed over the years?
Have you ever tried using blinds, white flags, or other "goat bait" methods?
If you have changed your tactics, what prompted the change?

I understand that, sometimes, you have to adapt to the conditions afield. What I'm curious about, is the general method you prefer, or use most often for antelope hunting.

Please give an explanation, if you can. Long post are encouraged, and completely appropriate here. (This post was well over 4 pages. I actually had to trim it, substantially.)
Old September 17, 2010, 05:36 AM   #2
taylorce1

I rifle hunt and have a large area to hunt in so I'll do a lot of glassing from the truck before I decide what to do. Once I find a goat I want to go after and decide where to start my stalk from it is out of the truck and I start to hoof it. I've hiked more than 5 miles from the truck to put the cross hairs on pronghorn before so I make sure to have my camel back with me as it is usually hot in Eastern CO for that season.

I'm pretty comfortable at 300 yards with most of my pronghorn rifles so if I'm having to belly crawl through cactus, soap weed and sage I'll limit my stalk to that. If I can get closer than that I will as long as it doesn't require too much crawling. I've probably taken over a dozen pronghorn now with the closest being around 30 yards.

I've used everything from a .243 Win to a .375 Ruger to take down pronghorn. The are one of my favorite animals to hunt since they have great eye sight and are tough to get close too even though they aren't tough to find. Plus the size of the animal is deceiving, they always look like they are a long ways off in the hot prairie sun.

I'll stalk them as long as I'm able, when I can't then I'll think about changing my methods.
Old September 17, 2010, 05:39 AM   #3
taylorce1

double tap, computers being slow!
Old September 17, 2010, 05:51 AM   #4
roy reali

Don't Know

I have yet to get past the first step. I haven't drawn an antelope tag yet. If I can get help for this step I would be very happy.
Old September 17, 2010, 06:58 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

I want to say I truck hunt, but it's not really accurate, it's more of a spot and stalk method.

We live in Kentucky and travel to Wyoming and hunt on public land. Where we are usually drawn has four good hunting spots all several miles apart however. We drive to a starting point, scan for antelope and then usually get out try to spot and stalk any antelope we find. After an hour or two of no success, we'll move onto the next section of land and then spot and stalk from there. I consider this "truck" hunting because we do move around a lot. We do a lot of driving but we do a lot of walking too. I still consider it a bit of run and gun however especially when you consider that when we hunt deer in Kentucky you typically sit your butt down in the woods for several hours and move as little as possible.

As you mentioned, several of my best antelope moments were the result of a stalk, more than a few of which were blown stalks. Those critters really do have amazing eyesight.

Fun story. My buddy kept seeing a nice antelope that he wanted badly. He wasn't really tall, but he had awesome cutters. The biggest cutters I'd ever seen. Anyway, he'd put a couple of stalks on it but failed each time.

Finally, we saw him again on our last hunt day, my buddy gets out of the truck and puts a stalk on him and another buck. I get to watch the whole thing through my binos which was really cool to see the hunter and prey in action. My buddy winds around the antelop through a ditch, crawls through sand and sage finally gets within shooting distance of a 200 yards or so. My buddy laying prone, peers around some sage, lines up still unseen and pulls the trigger. Antelope drops. Sadly, he shot the wrong damn antelope. The smaller critter was dropped and the big cutter boy took off never to be seen again.

Well, until the next day. We were killing time before we hit the road and drove to that same section of public land and we see that same big cutter antelope. We stop the car, the antelope is about 50 yards off the roadway and shout to the antelope that next year he's ours. We drive off and the antelope starts running along with us. We goose the car up to 20 mph and the antelope hits 20 and stays with us. Every time we picked up speed the antelope did the same. We ended up hitting 50mph on this two track with this antelope running right with us at 50mph. He never veered from his course and ran right next two us racing us and held that 50 mph for good half mile or so. Very cool memory.
Old September 17, 2010, 12:23 PM   #6
cornbush

I grew up hunting the same way as Frankenmauser (brother), I used to hunt from the truck, now I'd rather put the sneak on and use the truck for long moves.
I didn't get to hunt much this year as both of my tags were filled within 300 yards of my tent.... it was good, but the hunt was over in the first ten minutes of legal shooting hours.
Old September 17, 2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Scorch

Man, you sure know how to hurt a guy, don't you? I haven't hunted antelope for years, but it's one of my favorite hunts. Oh, who am I kidding? Any hunt is my "favorite"! But I love hunting antelope!

I usually glass and stalk or set up for a long range shot. But I have used the "cow decoy" method, and ridden up on horses hanging over the side of the horse "injun-style", ambush at the water hole, "walking up" an antelope buck (watch the buck bed down at dusk, then sneak up close to where he was last seen in the dark and wait until he stands up), ground blind (probably the best for archery hunting), and (of course) the "stumble into the herd and bang away" method.
Old September 18, 2010, 12:54 AM   #8
Crankylove

Quote:
I didn't get to hunt much this year as both of my tags were filled within 300 yards of my tent.... it was good, but the hunt was over in the first ten minutes of legal shooting hours.
We had his two goats gutted and back in camp before the water was hot enough for coffee or cocoa that morning. . I filled one tag later that day with my .270 Win., and the remaining tag the following day with my .358 Win. and 250 grain Speer Hot Cor bullets, the first game taken with that rifle. In all, we all filled our tags, gave the nieces and nephews some anatomy lessons while field dressing the goats, and came back with all the body parts we left with and no extra holes. Was a good hunt.

I was also raised on the "run 'n gun" truck hunting, but as with Frankenmauser, looked towards the more rewarding stalks as I got a little older, and spent less time hunting with my dad. Everybody uses the method that suits them best, and I won't be critizing anybody here for hunting from a vehicle as my first speed goat this year was shot while I stood 10 feet from my truck, and happened to spot the group of does while we traveled between some of the more well traveled (by the goats) areas we hunt in.
Old September 18, 2010, 03:58 AM   #9
Daryl

How I hunt depends on what I'm hunting with.

With a bow, I usually hunt from a blind placed on fence crossings.

With a rifle, I stalk them. This is, by far, my favorite way to hunt them.

The blind works very well for getting close for a shot, but sitting in a hot blind for 13-15 hours a day gets old pretty quick. I make it a point to be in the blind long before daylight, and don't leave until I have an antelope down, or it gets dark again. Coming and going from a blind in the daytime is a great way to not get a shot.

Spot and stalk leaves all options open, and your options for a stalk are only limited by your imagination. I've used some very slight wrinkles in otherwise flat country to get very close to antelope. Knee pads are a necessity, as well as leather gloved to keep from getting cactus in your hands.

Daryl
Old September 18, 2010, 09:47 AM   #10
moosemike

I love stalking pronghorn. It's the most fun I have while hunting. My longest kill shot was 250 and my shortest was 90 yards. I put a lot of miles on and blow a lot of stalks. But I have that much fun and get so caught up that I forget to eat lunch until my stomach lets me know that I missed it.
Old September 19, 2010, 12:01 PM   #11
MosinM38

I put "Truck hunt" although not really accurate. It's used mostly to spot, then stalk. Goats in our area are in large groups, and there is only a few groups over a LARGE area.

If you simply walked all day, you might never see a goat. Just too much area.

There's been a couple run n guns, but. I dunno. I like stalking, in some instances run-n-gun works if the herd's spooky,etc.

The biggest problem with truck-hunting: Too many truck hunters are also sloppy shots believing speed will make up for inaccuracy. If you pick your shots as well as stalkers generally do, I have no problem with someone doing it.

One thing: I am truly amazed that people are getting shots under 100 yards on antelope. Our goats are wild little . Closest shot I've taken was right on 175 yards, most are 250-350. Dad took a goat right at 600 yards with his .257 weatherby.
Old September 19, 2010, 03:16 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
One thing: I am truly amazed that people are getting shots under 100 yards on antelope. Our goats are wild little . Closest shot I've taken was right on 175 yards, most are 250-350. Dad took a goat right at 600 yards with his .257 weatherby.
It's all about the terrain you hunt in, the way you hunt, how nervous the herds are, and how well the year's fawns are doing. If the fawns are small, and not very independent, the does will be very nervous and protective. On the other hand, if the fawns are growing well and independent, the herds can be very tolerant.

I used to hunt in a unit where the average shot was 400-600 yards.
Prior to that, I grew up with my Dad hunting a unit with the average shot closer to 600 yards (even with run and gun tactics).
Now, however, our average shot is much closer to 200-250 yards (for the whole hunting party), but many shots are in the 100-200 yard range. (Even though our first year in this unit was one where the fawns were doing horribly, and the herds were so spooked we had two "close" shots at 400 and 450 yards.)

One of the reasons for the close shots where I'm hunting, is that the area is primarily very flat and open. So, the goats get used to being able to see threats from very far off. It can be used against them, when they're moving through an area with small ridges, swells, or the dry creek mentioned in my post (the elevated features on the landscape of our unit are glacial deposits that are generally not very tall -- moraines {long straight hills}, kames {localized, round mounds}, and drumlins {tapered, short, straight hills}).
Old September 19, 2010, 03:31 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I use my TV remote control... I have to find the right terrain, usually it is "Outdoor Network" and other times it is the "Versus" channel!

brent
Old September 19, 2010, 10:23 PM   #14
Crankylove

Quote:
I use my TV remote control..
I have put in a good many hours with that equipment as well. Much less expensive to hunt that way (warmer and dryer too).
Old September 20, 2010, 01:03 PM   #15
davlandrum

You left one out in the survey, my method:

Donate money to ODFW to get in drawing, find out you did not get drawn, repeat the next year.....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old September 20, 2010, 01:50 PM   #16
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Moderated a bunch, I was a walker and a stalker. I thought nothing of 20 miles in the desert or plains carrying a .308 and belly crawling a half mile or better to get within 200 yards or closer. Now somebody will have to drive me and set me up in a good blind because all of the walk left me with my back injury. Still shooting a .308 but now with a 9x scope instead of open sights. Growing old aint for sissies but we make our adjustments and keep on trucking.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 20, 2010, 01:54 PM   #17
Scorch

Quote:
(warmer and dryer too).
Obviously never hunted antelope in Nevada, Idaho, or Wyoming. It's plenty dry and warm there during antelope season (95+ degrees, 5-8% RH).
Old September 20, 2010, 10:10 PM   #18
cornbush

Wyoming..... have had some damn foul weather a few times, and some very pleasant mild weather too. You take your lumps and keep truckin ( I'll take pleasant and mild though )
Old September 20, 2010, 10:16 PM   #19
kraigwy

Most antelope areas are also grassing areas, I hunt on horse, they are use to horses. Get off on the far side, keep your horse between you and the goats, after all, they don't know how many legs a horse has. You can get pretty close. Plus I'm too old and lazy to walk.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 20, 2010, 11:12 PM   #20
Crankylove

Quote:
Obviously never hunted antelope in Nevada, Idaho, or Wyoming.
Every speed goat I have taken has been in Wyoming

Simply meant that watching the hunting and outdoor shows on t.v. can be more pleasant (in terms of creature comforts and moderate temps) than hunting (for all animals) sometimes.

Generally, our hunting weather in Wyoming has been a little on the cool side, with lots of wind. Hunting 2 weeks ago was high 60's-70's during the day, low 30's at night (with one night at 22) with a good deal of wind. Did I mention the wind? Not a whole lot of rain for any of our antelope seasons yet..........but the elk hunt is coming up in two weeks.
Old September 21, 2010, 07:56 PM   #21
oneounceload

Since in NV you can't sit at a water hole, you need to find a good glass area and wait..............and wait...............and wait.........

The LAST thing you want to do is shoot one after it's been running - at least if you want to eat it..............

A friend who bow hunts uses the white flag method from behind a clump of sage - he has had them come in as close as 25 yards.

With a rifle, it was find them, spot from a high spot, let them settle down and stop - shoot them laying down, get to them quickly, and field dress immediately - August is still VERY hot in northern NV
Old September 22, 2010, 12:36 AM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
With a rifle, it was find them, spot from a high spot, let them settle down and stop - shoot them laying down, get to them quickly, and field dress immediately - August is still VERY hot in northern NV
Wyoming isn't much better (most of the hunts are in September, or October, though).

My first doe, this year, required me to field dress the animal while trying to signal my wife and/or fellow hunters that I had an animal down. It normally wouldn't have been a big deal, but I was almost a half mile from the nearest road, and more than a mile from camp.

That kill actually meets all of your conditions, except one. I found them (right where I expected). I couldn't spot from high ground (flat land). They finished eating and laid down, while I was flanking them (covered more than 3/4 mile, in plain view, just so they thought I was moving in a different direction). I shot the doe while she was still lying down, chewing her cud (made a bit of a mess, with the cud, actually). Got to her right away, and made sure no follow-up shot was needed (even if they look dead... I like to make sure with a good muzzle-to-eye poke -- even if they're unconscious, reflexes will make them blink). Field dressed immediately.