The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 23, 2001, 08:32 AM   #1
boogerbawb

Take a Kid Hunting

Well, dad's awful proud too. My 12-year-old daughter Sabrina got her first deer, this little 2x1 mulie, in the first half hour of season with her first shot. A rewarding experience for both of us, and I don't know who got the bigger thrill out of it. It was a tad bit tedious, but I sat through her whole Hunter's Safety course with her this fall and we spent the summer learning safe gun handling and accurate shooting using her 10/22 on the local gopher population. Now another potential Gen Xer is hooked by the lure of the hunt and will hopefull grow up to be a good hunter and gun owner. She's so excited about this deer hunting deal that this weekend we have to drive up north to buy whitetail B tags so she can give it another try this year.

One note: My 6.5 Swede antelope rifle is awaiting a synthetic stock and new scope mount, so my daughter had to use my Spanish FR-7 "Poor Man's Scout Rifle", the .308 converted to 7.62x39mm via a chamber adapter from MCA/ACE Sports in Anchorage. She's still recoil shy and I didn't want her developing a flinch. Dad made the mistake of buying a bunch of that cheap Russian Wolf hollowpoint ammunition so we could practice alot. The stuff is not the most accurate and when I recovered the bullet from the deer, shot at around 80 yards, the hollowpoint had not expanded AT ALL, merely flattened a small bit on one side of the base. Good thing she was too excited to notice dad giving the deer an extra thump with the Springfield Scout when he got back up. We're switching to Winchester 123-gr softpoints for the next deer, and we'll see if they perform better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beeniedaddeer.jpg (76.0 KB, 95 views)
Old October 23, 2001, 09:07 AM   #2
gfrey

Congratulations!

(I have at least 10 years to go, but the 2 year old is my range officer...)

Someday... (Said the father of a 2 year old and a 3 month old...)

Gfrey
Old October 24, 2001, 06:01 AM   #3
Dan Morris

I drug my son along on deer, antelope and elk hunts from the time he was 10. Kinda fun to watch him nail his first mulie at about 250-275 yard. Dropped to one knee, shot and it dropped! Then
the fun of getting it out!LOL
Dan
Old October 25, 2001, 07:58 AM   #4
CD1

Booger,

You've gotta be proud of that! Sounds like a good dad putting off his own elk hunting to spend time with his kids. Congrats.
Old November 10, 2001, 07:23 AM   #5
boogerbawb

"Aw Dad, do we HAFTA wait until next year to go hunting again?"

So, even with the end of elk season fast approaching, I'm taking my daughter and my best bud is taking his step-son to the next county north of us where they still have extra whitetail B tags left all this weekend. Seeing her get another deer is worth more to me than an elk anyway.

And no more danged 7.62x39mm; I got the 6.5 Swede finished and she's been practicing. Look out whities!
The most terrifying sound in nature is not the roar of a charging lion nor the whistle of a descending bomb; rather, it is a click when you expect to hear a bang." Peter Hathaway Capstick, or, "Why I hate the M16A1"
Old November 12, 2001, 02:58 PM   #6
Lennyjoe

I have been taking my kids out hunting since they were 7 years old. The girls love to sit there and watch the squirrels and birds. They arnt interested yet in pulling the trigger on an animal yet. My son on the other hand loves to harvest game. Im sure he will pass the tradition on to his kids. If not, grandpa will.
Old November 13, 2001, 01:09 AM   #7
yorec

Gotta say it - Way to go Booger!

I'm another dad just awaitin' until the daughter ages another eight years so as to be legal. Hope hunting's still legal by then, I'd hate to have raised a poacher...