The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 4, 2013, 04:14 AM   #1
dylanf55

sako a7?

hey guy so i went to cabelas the other day to look at getting a new hunting rifle and held a tikka t3 and a sako a7....now i no that there have probley been other postes on these guns but in this situation they both cost the same....the type of hunting i will be doing is anything from high desert to thick oregon coastal terrain. i would am also open to other possible options and caliber suggestions. for the moment im leading towards the a7 in a .270 win. thank guys and anything helps.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:15 AM   #2
WIN1886

A friend of mine bought a Tikka in the .270 caliber and having gone to the rifle range with him a few times I can tell you it is very accurate ! I own an older Sako 75 stainless bought used in .243 caliber which out to 200 yards or so is almost boring to shoot because it is so dead on ! I have not had the chance to shoot at further distance with it yet but this summer I plan to go out to 400 meters ( our long distance rifle range max ) with it ! Visit the Sako & Tikka websites to compare differences.....you won't go wrong with either but my own preference would be the Sako A7 because having read the specs and description of it I like the features just a bit better but I'm nitpicking !
Old February 4, 2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Scorch

Given those choices, and considering that they are both the same price, I would opt for the Sako. Not that the Tikka isn't a good rifle, I just like Sakos.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:27 PM   #4
dylanf55

ya im pretty sure im gonna go with the a7. thank guys for all your advise.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:26 AM   #5
edward hogan

Not too impressed with the A7. The A5 is a primo-classic Sako. The synthetic stocks were made by McMillan, the wooden stocks made to their high standards.

Lots of aftermarket stuff being done now with the T3. The tactical and varmint Tikkas are on par with many high-end tactical models. The newish Tikka match gun with laminated stock gives the TRG-22 a run for its money. Not as many accessories, but if you don't need backup irons, mirage strap, detachable trigger assy and all the TRG-22/42 bells & whistles, for half the price the rifles are in the same league.

Lots of better Sakos out there than the A7. Would buy the Tikka, especially if wanted a .223 since it comes in 8 twist barrel. Would look for an A5 or other classic Sako if wanted a standard or magnum centerfire. Have owned about 8 different Sakos from Vixen to TRG-S & 42. Find an A-III if you want real Class. A Deluxe would be very cool.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:41 AM   #6
2ndtimer

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all Tikkas built on the same length action? If I want a .223 or even a .243, I want it on a short action. My Sako A7 is a short action. Nothing wrong with a Tikka. I sure wish they would import one chambered in 6.5x55.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:21 PM   #7
warbirdlover

Tikka's have two action lengths and if you look at their T3 Hunter model (wood stock) are beautiful rifles. The A7 is better but not much. The Sako 85 is the top of their line. Give me any of the three and I'll be happy.

They all shoot better groups then most anythiing else out there, including
Savages.