The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 9, 2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Bootstrap

Fox Model B help

I took my Fox Model B out shooting sporting clays today and had some trouble getting the second barrel to fire about halfway through the course. When I checked the gun, it looks like one of the pins is partially out and I cant get it back into place. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.JPG (209.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0121.JPG (168.8 KB, 23 views)
Old June 10, 2012, 04:29 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings Bootstrap, and welcome aboard.

The first red flare I see is the loose sear pin, was it partially removed when you were shooting?

Under normal circumstances, if it just quit returning all of a sudden, then it's probably a bad firing pin return spring. Other causes could be gunk in the action, lack of proper lubrication, a worn firing pin or worn pin hole in the action. Have a look at the breech face, are the firing pin holes round or worn to an oval? If worn to an oval or ragged (also caused by primer blow-by with reloads), it will require some serious smithing.
Old June 10, 2012, 05:03 PM   #3
oneounceload

You can try removing the stock and replacing the pin
Old June 10, 2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Bootstrap

Thanks for the suggestions. The sear pin was in place prior to shooting yesterday, it must have come loose at some point during the day. The firing pin holes look ok to me, but I'm a little nervous about taking the gun apart as I've heard this shotgun is particularly difficult to reassemble...if I take the stock off, is the action going to come apart as well?
Old June 10, 2012, 10:18 PM   #5
zippy13

See Private Message