The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 6, 2012, 09:57 AM   #1
defjon

Small 9mms

I am looking for a compact or sub compact 9mm, I don't really know the technical differences. Smaller, more concealable obviously. I would like there to be some kind of safety, looks wouldn't hurt, and a mag capacity of 12 round is preferable, 10 acceptable.

Specifically, does anyone know the differences in size between say a Stoegar cougar and a Bersa Thunder 9 pro sub compact? I owned the former, originally for CCW on my out of state permits, but the Cougar is pretty large.

I am looking hard at the Bersa, having owned their 22 Thunder and currently still own their 380 Thunder. Exceptional guns, you get much more than you pay for.

I was also looking at SW 6906 or the single stack version, but they do have some serious heft. Not ruling them out but I don't like ultra thick grips, the 5906/6906 is pretty dang thick.

If anyone has owned a Bersa thunder 9 compact and a stoegar/beretta cougar I would love to know if the Bersa is much smaller. Also, if I am missing anything here, I would take recommendations!

Should say, also tried the G26- accurate gun, way more so then the 17s I used to have....but I can't get comfortable with a round in the chamber and a safety on the trigger. Just my own deal. Read too many horror stories about reholstering, accidents, and just seen too much of that happening in the trained LEO market which utilizes them. I like a manual safety.

Also tried the Beretta 9000 but that grip is fubar.
Old January 6, 2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Fishbed77

If I was looking for a smaller 9mm with that kind of capacity and a manual safety, I'd be looking at the Ruger SR9C.
Old January 6, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
jimbob86

I like my brother's sR9c ...... but I like my EMP more ..... did not like the price tag, but that only hurt once.
Old January 6, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Marquezj16

XDm 3.8 Compact - 13 rounds, grip safety

92 FS Compact - 13 rounds, safety/decocker on slide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92 FS Compact (3).JPG (93.1 KB, 570 views)
File Type: jpg SA XDm Compact.jpg (89.4 KB, 562 views)
Old January 6, 2012, 11:20 AM   #5
loose_holster_dan

manual safeties are becoming very rare. i keep mine in a kydex holster, so i'm not too worried about it going off.

the xdm will def give you your other features tho.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 6, 2012, 11:27 AM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
manual safeties are becoming very rare.
Really?
Old January 6, 2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Pianoguy

10+ rounds (so you will need a double stack mag), a safety, CC-capable and good looking (very subjective) - the primary ones that jump to mind are the Ruger SR9c and the Beretta Px4 subcompact. The Springfield Arms XDsc has a grip safety and otherwise meats your requirements. The Bersa Thunder 9 is okay but isn't that small compared to the Thunder 380 I last looked. if you are looking for a 10+ capacity gun as small as your Thunder 380 you might be out of luck.

The round capacity throws out pretty much all the smaller CC guns being sold now (where weight and width are at a premium for people) and most of them don't have manual safeties either. Many of the compact pistols w/ 10+ capacity have more glock-like triggers and safeties (like the S&W's, Walthers, etc - all really nice guns but no manual safeties). They tend to compete w/ the Glocks and so have similar triggers and no safeties. Others may be okay for you but might be too big.

I have a Sig P250sc w/ no manual safety but a long DAO trigger which for all practical purposes serves as a safety. Lots of guns are like this. It works for me and I origianally wanted a safety, too. Actually with more experience, I (along w/ lots of people) have come to the conclusion that the safety is a nuissance. Be careful hostering the gun the first time, hopefully you should never have to take it out until it's time to put the gun away. Limit how much you handle the gun and practice drawing the weapon without grabbing the trigger. Basic stuff.
Old January 6, 2012, 12:08 PM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
I was also looking at SW 6906 or the single stack version, but they do have some serious heft. Not ruling them out but I don't like ultra thick grips, the 5906/6906 is pretty dang thick.
These guns were available as a compact 8rd single-stack that's a good deal thinner than the 59- and 69-series.

Models were:
  • 3913 - SS, DA/SA
  • 3914 - Blued, DA/SA
  • 3953 - SS, DAO
  • 3954 - Blued, DAO
  • 908 - "Value Series" 3914; some plastic parts, less slide machining, no RH-side ambi decocker/safety
  • 908S - "Value Series" 3913

"LS"-series LadySmith and "NL"-series guns have a sleeker frame and rounded slide edges, and are slightly less common and more expensive than the others. ("NL" is colloquially said to stand for "Not LadySmith" and is the exact same gun without the machismo-sapping, effeminate, Lose Your Man Card, engraved "LadySmith" script. )

Although these are all discontinued, they remain very popular for CCW. This fact has kept resale values high, however! These guns are only slightly larger than a Ruger LC9; they are a good deal heavier, but this may be a Good Thing depending on your preference.

Last edited by carguychris; January 6, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old January 6, 2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Chesster

Not sure if it is small enough for your needs but the Sig P6/225 fits the bill for my small 9mm.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old January 6, 2012, 01:10 PM   #10
RUN2424

Kel Tec

I carry the Kel Tec P11 9mm. Not much for a range gun/plinking,no safety the trigger is the safety.Its a long heavy pull... just my 2 cents.....
Old January 6, 2012, 02:05 PM   #11
lyodbraun

Agree the trigger is the Safety as long as you use trigger discilpline you will not have any problems... safetys do fail although rare it can and does happen..
Old January 6, 2012, 03:20 PM   #12
wbw

You didn't ask for it, but here it is anyway. carguychris in post #8 above, suggests the S&W single stacks. Here is a comparison of my 3913 and my Stoeger Cougar. (3913 being the smaller of the two)

Old January 6, 2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Pukindog12

I own two Stoeger Cougar 8000s and one Bersa Thunder 9UC Pro. One Cougar and the UC9 both get carried during the cold weather. Both are comfortable but the UC9 more so thus it gets carried more. The fact that the UC9 is a little smaller is the reason.

Here is a link comparing the two:

http://genitron.com/HandgunDB/DB-Com...&ID2=529&ID3=0

It compares the Beretta Cougar to the BTUC9 Pro. The Stoeger Cougar and the Beretta Cougar are essentially identical. The reason the Stoeger Cougar wasn't shown is because a couple dimensions are missing for it. To get more information on the desired pistol just click the "view details" tab at the bottom.

I hope this helps.

BTW, both these weapons are great. Most bang for your buck IMO.
Old January 6, 2012, 04:50 PM   #14
C0untZer0

Another option is the HK P7 either PSP/M8 or M13 - they are slim, small, great and unique safety setup on them, but they are expensive.
Old January 6, 2012, 05:09 PM   #15
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
and a mag capacity of 12 round is preferable, 10 acceptable.
The Model 6906 is a fine choice. Reliable, well-made and affordable (there are still many nice "police trade-ins" available that are relatively cheap). Yes, they are a mite broad across the grip but if you want twelve rounds on board, you're going to have to accept the reality of a thicker grip. I carried a Model 6906 for years as a duty piece (I still carry it now as a "civilian" after retiring) and have never found it to be uncomfortable or difficult to conceal. Reliability trumps everything else when it comes to relying on a pistol for self-defense and third generation Smiths are about as reliable as a pistol can be.
Old January 6, 2012, 05:15 PM   #16
Water-Man

S&W M&P9c
Old January 6, 2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Pinky Carruthers

I have two Bersa Thunder 9 UCs. One with over 5K through it and the other with about 2k through it. Both have been 100% reliable so far.
The Bersa is almost the same size as the S&W 3913 except slightly shorter in length and wider of course. The Bersa is basically the same size as a Walther PPS, but again it is wider.
I carry either my Walther PPS or one of my Bersa T9 UCs.
SOM
Old January 6, 2012, 11:32 PM   #18
lee n. field

Doesn't quite fit your specs, but..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01383 small.jpg (62.3 KB, 46 views)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 7, 2012, 07:35 AM   #19
Mrgunsngear

I think you're really limiting your options with the safety but if you're set on it go with the S&W M&P9c. I have the one sans-safety and it's a great gun.

A lot of the pocket 9's don't have safeties because the smaller the gun gets, the smaller the safetys/controls generally get. When there's a life or death situation, fine motor skills erode (the degree depends largely on training) and operating the safety, particularly a small one, becomes relatively difficult. Most of the pocket 9's therefor either use a heavy/long DA pull or some type of trigger bar safety.

If you're willing to go non safety, I vote for the Kahr CM9 or Walther PPS. They have the best triggers in the class and are great all around guns IMO.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:02 AM   #20
dean1818

The M&P is a great Line of pistols

I have the 45C

But, if your looking for a 9mm that is very small (pocketable) a Kahr CM9 might fit your needs(i love mine)

They are also very accurate and you can shoot them without fearing recoil.

And lastly.....buying USA made, should be a factor, IMHO

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old January 7, 2012, 08:39 AM   #21
tekarra

cZ has good line up of compact pistols and a good subcompact in the RAMI.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:43 AM   #22
540EdgeFlyer

SR9C
Old January 7, 2012, 08:51 AM   #23
checkmyswag

My pockets can't really do pocket 9. They may fit but arr very bulky and impractical to draw. Pocket 380s work well.
Old January 7, 2012, 10:54 AM   #24
Dashunde

Its not what your thinking originally, but I'd recommend you consider the PM9, CM9, or CW9.
Thin, light, very good shooters, extrememly nice smooth long DOA trigger that rivals most garden variety SA triggers if you ask me.

They dont have the round count you mentioned, but you can carry a spare mag on the other side and that makes for a nice balanced load - much better than a thicker heavier larger gun + 10 or so rounds tugging relentlessly on one side.

As for safety... well, you dont need one. Its a long smooth pull, your only real vulnerablity is reholstering it.
This is what I do.

Last edited by Dashunde; January 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old January 7, 2012, 11:18 AM   #25
drcook

The CZ PCR has a 14 round magazine, a decocker and great ergonomics. Also as stated above, CZ has a great smaller pistol in the RAMI. There is even a version of the RAMI with a decocker. The current generation of CZ's have firing pin blocks (except for possibly some target only tuned pistols)