The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2010, 01:01 PM   #1
bulldn9693

New reloader seeking .410 reloading suggestions.

Hello! I've recently purchased a Mec 400 reloader on Ebay for cheap. I am looking to reload 410 shells (2 1/2 inch) for my Taurus Judge. (High cost of store bought ammo is my motivation.) I am not looking to get creative or experimental with my loads-just increase my shooting and decrease my cost. (For now...) I am a handy guy-if I do say so-but I am looking for any general advice/opinions about reloading resources, powder preference, wads, shot, and primers and manufactures for each. (Cost versus quality-best places to buy etc) Also any suggestions from an experienced MEC user on getting started. I have been searching this site and absorbing what I can.

I would like to use #4 shot, it is primarily a night stand gun for my wife and I. I have it loaded with #4 and progress quickly into .45 LC-RNFP 225gr. Due to the layout of our house, (4 kids and bedrooms) and it's location, this what I find acceptable. I know that's a whole other debate regarding weapons/loads for the house. Not looking to go there.

I do appreciate your time and any suggestions/opinions you have to offer.

Thanks!!
Old February 20, 2010, 02:10 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings bulldn9693, and welcome aboard.

From your topic, I was about to share a sure-fire, target crushing, Skeet load. But, you threw me a curve with your Judge -- obviously not a candidate for skeet loads. Have you looked into Winchester's new Supreme Elite PDX1 .410's? There's an active thread on the shotgun forum http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=398931. You might want to try to duplicate the new Winchester .410's with your reloads.

Personally, I'd use the Winchesters (or the Federals) for HD in the Judge and keep the reloads for practice, especially if you're a new reloader. I've reloaded shot-shells and metalics for over 40-years and used them in major tournaments, but my HD rounds are factory fresh.
Old February 20, 2010, 11:24 PM   #3
olddrum1

What Z13 said. Heres a good website also that you may find helpful.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Last edited by olddrum1; February 20, 2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old February 21, 2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Stumper

FWIW. I have one wad and powder charge for 2.5 in .410. Remington sp and 13.5 grain 2400. That works in in most any hull and has done fine in the judge as well as the shotguns.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old February 23, 2010, 02:37 AM   #5
HiBC

One great resource for all things shotshell reloading is Ballistic Products.Their catalogue is an education.

Another thing true for all shotgun reloading,you follow the recipe exactly.You use THE case,THE primer,THE wad specified.Nothing else will do,pretty much.
Old February 23, 2010, 10:23 AM   #6
reloader28

+1 for Ballistic Products Inc.

If you dont know anyone that uses an MEC and aint seen one work, go to you-tube and watch a few vids on it. Theres a pile of them on there.
Have fun.

zippy

Maybe you hint should post that super crusher 410 load hint. Bulldn9693 might want to try it hint out someday. I didnt see what brand of hull he is using, hint but it could be a Remington hull. hint

Sadly, my load aint that good (sigh) or I would very happily post it for him.
Old February 23, 2010, 06:00 PM   #7
zippy13

reloader28
Sorry, not a Remington hull.
This was handed down to me by my mentor, 20-years ago, and it was purportedly used by the .410 NSSA World Champion. When I asked if it was as clean as some of the more modern powders, the response was, "Do you want a clean gun or broken targets?" It works well in all of my Briley tube sets. Most who've tried it like it.
Double-A .410 target hull
Remington SP410 wad
WW W209 primer
H110 14.1 gr
#9 shot (5%) 1/2 oz
Old February 24, 2010, 12:23 AM   #8
reloader28

Thanks zippy

I have everything but the Win hulls. Maybe I'll have to find some. I've always wanted to try 410 on sporting clays. I think that would be a heck of a challenge. Its bad enough with a 12 gauge.
I bought the kids a 410, but I shoot it way more than they do. You just cant afford to buy factory ammo for it.
Old February 24, 2010, 03:22 AM   #9
zippy13

reloader28,
I have everything but the Win hulls.
There's the rub.
I bought the kids a 410, but I shoot it way more than they do. You just cant afford to buy factory ammo for it.
The price of factory .410's is obscene and should be considered a national emergency.
I see you're in nw wy, do you have access to the shooting complex just north of Cody?
Old February 24, 2010, 09:28 AM   #10
reloader28

zippy

Ya, Cody's our closest town. We go to the complex about twice a year. Once to practice for the Young life sporting clays shoot and once to shoot the Young Life sporting clays shoot.
I can maybe get hulls in there, huh?
I am not a member, but we have threatened to join several times just for the clays.
Other than to BS with people, why drive 35 miles when we have our own shooting range at home?

Last edited by reloader28; February 24, 2010 at 09:33 AM.