The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 22, 2012, 02:08 PM   #1
cjwils

Not really an "antique" on internet sale sites

If, like me, you have an interest in occasionally buying an antique firearm, then you might spend some time browsing various gun sales sites on the internet. I want to warn about, and maybe get some discussion about, a problem that I have seen many times on such websites. The problem is with sellers who list a gun as an "antique," and they say "no FFL required." However, some research by me in published sources indicates that the gun is not a legal antique because it is known to have been made after 1898, or its antique status is questionable because the date of manufacture cannot be pinned down. In a few cases, I have emailed the sellers about this, and the answer is typically something like "The guy I got it from said it is an antique," or maybe "I saw one of these displayed as an antique at a gun show." If you buy antiques, beware.
Old July 22, 2012, 11:40 PM   #2
shaunpain

I would abide by the law as much as humanly possible here. You know your WA state law, so follow that to the letter and you shouldn't have any problems. I have also been very curious about purchasing antique firearms through the mail as I am a Chicago resident. While I won't deviate more than this sentence, let's just say I don't even think I would take the chance given our "wonderful" mayor and I'm not even sure who the new CPD Chief is...

Buying anything online should scream caveat emptor to you. Ultimately, it will be YOUR responsibility to get as many of the facts as possible and to "pull the trigger", so to speak.
Old July 24, 2012, 01:03 AM   #3
hermannr

RCW 9.41.010

(1) "Antique firearm" means a firearm or replica of a firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

If it meets this definition...it is an "antique firearm" per WA law.

If you read closely, WA law does NOT include some things the ATF considers "antique"
Old July 25, 2012, 01:40 PM   #4
orangello

How does the Ruger Old Army model fit into this? It isn't reeeeeally a replica, but it is quite similar to the Remington New Model Army that many replicas replicate.

I am often disappointed to see sellers requiring an FFL bless the transaction when it may not be required by law.
Old July 25, 2012, 03:41 PM   #5
hermannr

read the definition the ATF has, and read the definition in your state law (may be different as with WA) and ask...does this weapon fit this discription?
Old July 25, 2012, 06:46 PM   #6
cjwils

Hi Hermannr: I am not asking about the buyer's understanding of the law on antiques, nor about state law; I commenting (complaining?) about sellers who claim they are selling an antique, but it isn't. However, since you quoted the antique definition from Wash. state law, I want to ask; are you familiar with Wash state law? And if so, do you know if that definition of antique is actually used in any way in Washington? I don't think it is. I think Washington dealers follow federal law and federal procedures, and they don't report anything about antiques to the state. But I could be wrong.