The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 1, 2012, 01:56 PM   #1
fastline

Help with custom Rem 700 action or other host action

I want to start work on a custom .500 whisper project. I will be slinging very heavy slugs at subsonic velocities. Due to the brass that I was going to use, I was going to use an action I already have which is a 700 short in .222. The bolt face is right, the price is right (free), etc BUT the action is not long enough, I need to accommodate a 3.0-3.1" cartridge which means I will have to heavily mod the 700 short.

The thought came to mind to see if I can just sell my complete .222 rifle and get a new 700 long with a .222 or .223 (same) bolt face? I have no need to buy new but not sure which direction to go. I will list a few specifics that I need. I should mention that I own a machine shop so some mods including the barrel chambering and threading will be done here.

1. Must be an action that I can get parts for, 700 seems perfect here
2. Must be able to mod the action for clip and make or buy removable mags
3. Common enough geometry that I can find a tactical stock to work.
4. CHEAP. Build is on a budget but I don't need junk.
Old October 1, 2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Scorch

A few thoughts:

* The Rem 700 short action magazine box length is 3.080", too short for the .500 Whisper.

* You would do better to start with an action with a magnum bolt face, the 500 Whisper is based on the 460 Weatherby case, rim diameter is .590" (the 17 Rem/222 Rem/223 Rem bolt face is .378"). Of course, if you opt to replace the bolt, this is a moot point.

* Due to the extractor design on the Rem 700 action, I would suggest replacing the bolt with a bolt that takes a Sako type extractor, like the forged bolts from PTG.

* Badger Ordnance, HS Precision, and Surgeon all make a detachable magazine system for the Rem 700 actions (LA and SA).
Old October 4, 2012, 04:56 PM   #3
tobnpr

I was wondering why he said a .222 bolt face was "right" for the magnum...

Just sell the 700 short action. In good shape, it'll fetch a few hundred...

Then buy a LA Savage and do the barrel work yourself.