The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 16, 1999, 12:13 AM   #1
Arnistador

Hey all,

Just got back from a 2-day tactical carbine class at Firearms Training Associates (taught by Gunsite staff) over in Norco, CA. After 2 days and almost 1000 rounds fired, I came to the following conclusion:

AIMPOINTS ROCK

Of the 20 some odd students, I was the only one with an Aimpoint equipped AR15. We had Trijicon ACOGs, Steyr AUGs (w/ integral Swarovski optics), etc., along with iron sights. Of all of them, shooting at 100 yards, the Aimpoint consistently had the fastest acquisition time.

Case in point. At the end of the class, we did a shoot-off where all class members were required to get two hits on pepper poppers from standing offhand, kneeling, squatting, sitting and prone, all at 100 yards. While there were more experienced shooters than me, and a couple Trijicon ACOG NSN models, AUGs, and irons, my Aimpoint equipped AR allowed me to get the fastest, most accurate hits of the bunch.

The only other sight I might recommend is the Trijicon Reflex, though I like making use of the Aimpoint with our 6015B NV monoculars...

Tim
http://www.streetpro.com
Street Smart Professional Equipment