The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2002, 02:50 AM   #1
Redlg155

Weaver Mount# for Mossburg 500? Also...advantages of standard vs "saddle type"?

I decided to get a Mossburg 500 with the turkey length barrel and add a rifled choke tube for deer hunting this winter.

My options are to either use a weaver type base or to get a saddle type scope mount. I'm thinking of going with a weaver base, but I have a couple of questions.

1. What base size # do I need and where can I order one?

2. Are there any advantages between the two different types...mainly the "saddle type" and the reciever mounted base?

Good Shooting
Red
Old November 3, 2002, 09:59 AM   #2
Peetmoss

Weaver mount number 88 for the Mossberg 500 manufactured before 1996. Weaver mount number 88A for the Mossberg 500 manufactured after 96. The model 88 and 89 look Idenical except the 88A has larger holes for the mount screws. Mossberg drilled and tapped there shotguns for larger screws after 96. You can also check here it's weavers website http://www.weaveroptics.com/
Old November 3, 2002, 11:23 AM   #3
Redlg155

Thanks for the info!

Hunting Tyndall AFB this year, so I'm determined to get one. Stinks that it is a shotgun only area, but that's life.

Good Shooting
RED
Old November 4, 2002, 05:33 PM   #4
Peetmoss

NP Glad I could finally help someone out And I know what you mean about shotgun only. The whole souther teir in NY is Shotgun only. I can't even fire my center fire rifle in the southern tier durning any open deer season unless I go to an approved range. Kinda puts a damper on varmit hunting
Old November 6, 2002, 04:26 PM   #5
Bruce626

I have an unused, still in the package, Weaver 88A mount complete with screws that I bought for about 6 bucks that I'd be happy to sell you for 5 bucks or so. My Red-Dot sight didn't fit on it correctly, so I got a "Convert A Mount" instead.

The biggest advantage of the saddle type mounts is that they don't require you to drill and tap for the screws... but if you have a post-1996 Mossberg, the receiver has already been drilled and tapped.

The other potential advantage of some models of saddle mounts is that you can "see under" the scope and still use your bead sight if necessary. Not all saddles are see-under tho.

--Bruce.
Old November 6, 2002, 06:19 PM   #6
Redlg155

Well..as the wheels of fate turn round and round I found myself at the guncounter ready to buy the Mossburg 500 when lo and behold I spied an ugly thing of beauty....a Winchester 1300 22" blk synthetic stock fully rifled shotgun w/matte finish. Plus it had a scope base and rings included with the shotgun!

Well...I put her on layaway today and I get her out Friday.

Then comes the fun part..ack...finding a good sabot slug load.

Bruce...thanks for the offer and I would take you up on it had I gotten the 500.

Good Shooting
RED