The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2015, 09:54 AM   #1
Jeff2131

glow in the dark shot shell loading

So, my gun club is starting trap nights next week and everg so often we setup the blacklights and do glow trap. We have discussed spectra shot but they will only sell it by the skid. Apparently it doesnt pay them to make a few cases so they wont run production unless its a full skid of shot. I forget how much but it was expensive. So now im thinking...would it would if we reloaded our own? Is it possible to use a can of krylon glow to paint the shot before reloading it? Krylon glow works very well under a black light from what ive read. How would it hold up on lead? How would it hold up during the reloading process? And how would it hold up when fired? Any thoughts or ideas? I never bought a reloading setup for shot shells because it really doesnt "pay" for me to reload them but if i can make this work...i may consider getting together with a few guys from the club and seeing what we can come up with.
Old March 28, 2015, 10:27 AM   #2
wogpotter

Any kind of "glow in the dark" won't work because it needs to be "activated" by exposure to light soon before its used. Stuffing it in shotgun hulls will kill any light activation.
Fluorescent paint (like the da-glow used on fishing floats) will work, especially if you have some UV light on the range to get the best fluorescent effect.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 28, 2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Jeff2131

Ok, so flourenscent paint, not glow in the dark paint.
Old March 28, 2015, 11:08 AM   #4
mikld

I'd look up that "cold tracer" product. It's made for shooting "tracer" ammo but not incendiary...
Old March 28, 2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Jeff2131

Just looked up cold tracer and appears to be small discs applied to the back of bullets. Pretty sure that wont work for tiny pellets in shotgun shells. If that technology could be liquified and applied to the pellets that would be fantastic, especially at night.
Old March 28, 2015, 12:16 PM   #6
nemesiss45

The paint should stick fine. Maybe do a test load of a few shells and see how it works. If it doesnt, youre only out $3.for paint.
Old March 28, 2015, 12:54 PM   #7
Grizz12

make sure to take video, the shot patterns my be something other than expected but still pretty cool
Old March 28, 2015, 03:25 PM   #8
wogpotter

Have you figured out a way to paint lots of little round balls?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 28, 2015, 04:57 PM   #9
hartcreek

put the paint is a plastic container and tumble the shot then on a sheet of seran wrap to dry

You might even be able to find a powder coat
Old March 28, 2015, 05:08 PM   #10
FITASC

There were other tracer-type of shotshells made, mostly for training purposes. (They weren't that great because the part that glowed was not always where the shot swarm was. There is, IIRC, a round from Fiocchi.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 28, 2015, 11:44 PM   #11
Deja vu

If it was me I would use the glow in the dark paint for the shot. Load it in clear hulls and remove the shot cup wings when loading it. Then at the event store it with a black light on it. May have to cycle the ammo to keep it glowing cause it usually only glows well for a few min after leaving the light.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old March 29, 2015, 05:27 AM   #12
Mike / Tx

Quote:
put the paint is a plastic container and tumble the shot then on a sheet of seran wrap to dry
Using this would probably be your best bet. Tumble the shot in the container with the florescent paint, then dump through a strainer to separate and then onto wax paper or non stick aluminum foil so the shot doesn't stick. It will stick probably to saran wrap.

You could also possibly find some powder coat but having an oven large enough to so copious amounts to load for a crew would be an issue. At least with the paint, you could possibly set up a couple of sheets of plywood with a small rain around the edges to use as a drying table and help keep things contained.

With the loading and shooting your probably going to get mixed results with the paint, but it sounds like a cool project. Hope you find something that works, if you do please post the results and how you pull it off.
Old March 29, 2015, 07:37 AM   #13
skizzums

is it black light, or glow in the dark? you could easily powder coat fluorescent plaint to heavy shot
Old March 30, 2015, 04:27 AM   #14
Jeff2131

We use giant black lights on the trap field. Taking the suggestion of fluorescent paint rather than glow in the dark seems to me the way to go. Im going to try it two ways...once in the container (tumble/dry method) and once my way(layed out on a screen, primered, painted, then tumbled smooth for a short time before reloading.)
Old April 2, 2015, 07:07 PM   #15
skizzums

take a pic or two during the shoot. sounds pretty cool