The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2005, 04:55 AM   #1
Helwan

What Casings to use in reloading

Hi everybody. I was thinking about reloading 8mm mauser cartridges, but I was wondering if I can use Remington casings even if the recipe says the casings used for it is Winchester. Will using the Remington casings instead of Winchester affect the load in anyway? Thanks for your help.

-Helwan
Old December 22, 2005, 05:14 AM   #2
Powderman

It is OK to use cases from different manufacturers to load your own ammunition. However, be sure to use only loads from a reputable source, and to reduce your starting loads by 10 to 15 per cent. Make sure that you follow the OAL measurements as noted in your reloading manuals for case and loaded ammunition length.
Old December 22, 2005, 08:57 AM   #3
Jingles

Helwan, winchester cases have a little more case capacity than remingtons.

Always start at least 10% below max and work your way up.

Mixing cases is a No No. A good load in a Remington case may be a bad load in a winchester case.
Old December 22, 2005, 01:24 PM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
It is OK to use cases from different manufacturers to load your own ammunition. However, be sure to use only loads from a reputable source, and to reduce your starting loads by 10 to 15 per cent. Make sure that you follow the OAL measurements as noted in your reloading manuals for case and loaded ammunition length.
[quote tags added by moderator]

I think what powder man meant to say is reduce the MAX load by 10-15%. Reducing the starting load by 15% COULD be dangerous. Most manuals clearly state " do not reduce loads under the recommended starting loads listed" or some such wording. Starting loads are for the most part already reduced by 10%, reducing them 15% would be violating the do not reduce further stipulation.

Mixing brass is generally a no-no, IF you want the most consistancy. Brass from different manufactures can vary slightly in thickness, which means they vary in internal capacity. Going from brass that has a larger capacity to one that has less, will raise pressures. IF you're alrady at max pressure in the larger case, the smaller case will result in a dangerous over pressure situation.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 23, 2005, 02:34 AM   #5
Helwan

Thank You all

Thanks everybody for your input. Does Remington sell nickel-plated casings for the 8mm or should I just use the regular brass kind? Also, what grain and type of bullet would be accurate for a m48 mauser. Thanks again.

-Helwan
Old December 23, 2005, 03:29 AM   #6
Powderman

I believe that they do sell nickel plated cases.

However, I have found that for reloading purposes, brass cases work better--at least for me they do. They are much more receptive to uniforming, trimming, chamfering and deburring. Of course, YMMV.
Old December 23, 2005, 05:51 AM   #7
rn22723

The key thing to safe reloading is to follow established load data from reputable sources! As with any load development you need to reduce at least 10 percent and work the load up so it safe in your gun! Copy cat reloading can be a disaster looking for time and place to wreak havoc!
Always cross reference loading data! Never take loads off the internet web sites at face value! Some people are so full of feces!

Reloading nickel plated case can cause some problems down the line, ie the plating flakes off and becomes embedded into the die wall. Then it scratches each subsquent case being sized!
Old December 23, 2005, 03:33 PM   #8
Helwan

Thanks!!

Wow thanks for the info. I was about to use some internet loads, but I think i'll be safer using Hornady's Handloader guide or something. I'm kinda skeptical about internet loads , should I be?

-Helwan
Old December 23, 2005, 07:29 PM   #9
dodgestdshift

Absolutely!!!! Internet loads should always be compared with loads from a real manual, then start at the minimum load given in the manual and NEVER exceed the maximum. You have no way of knowing what he shot the posted load in. Sometimes the same load can cause pressure problems in a gun that shot fine in the same model of the same manufactures gun. You also don't know if he had any problems with the load that he didn't notice or mention(primers deformed etc.).

Don N.