The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2010, 11:12 PM   #1
southerncomforthemi

9mm WST powder 124gr LRN bullet loads?

Hi...I know that data is short on WST powder but I use it in my 1911 and S&W 38 special loads for bullseye and wonder what loads you use in 9mm luger.

I have a Sig P229 and want to get some steel practice.
Old March 27, 2010, 07:38 AM   #2
mongoose33

Here are some WST 9mm loads from my loadbook (my notes), shot out of my Springfield Armory XD-9. They're not 124gr data, but you should be able to use this to work up loads:

125gr MISSOURI BULLET SMALLBALL LRN (1.09 OAL; WST)
3.8gr 1002 (fps)
4.0gr 1024
4.2gr 1043
4.4gr 1076 <---Production load

Note: The MB Smallball has a somewhat fat ogive; in my gun they need to be loaded shorter than I might typically do it. Didn't seem to hurt things any.

125gr PRECISION BLACK BULLET (1.118 OAL; WST):
4.0gr 1008 (fps)
4.2gr 1032
4.4gr 1035
4.6gr 1068
4.8gr 1087
5.0gr 1110

The Precision Black Bullet is a Truncated Cone Flat Point bullet, coated with proprietary coating to prevent leading. It's not LRN as you asked for, but it's similar. I haven't run a lot of these as when I worked up these loads I only had a pound, and used W231 instead. Doing some experimenting now to determine the most accurate load.

You didn't ask for these, but since WST data is relatively rare, I include it:

147gr HORNADY XTP (1.10 OAL; WST):
3.8gr 895 (fps)
4.0gr 935

124gr HORNADY XTP (1.10 OAL; WST)
4.5gr 1117 (fps)
4.7gr 1146 <-----my "production" load

OBLIGATORY NOTICE: These are loads I ran through MY chrono, using mixed headstamp brass, run through my gun, and whose results are specific to my own situation. Work up your own loads, starting low. Use eye and ear protection. The above is for informational purposes only, and is not a recommendation.

All the numbers to the right of the load are velocity as measured on my chrono.

The 124gr Hornady XTP 4.7gr WST load is one of the softest loads I have felt. Shocking, given the velocity it produces. The 4.7gr at 1.10 recipe is my production load.

W/R/T the Missouri Bullet Smallball, great bullet--but the ogive is "fat" so you have to load at shorter OALs for the XD9. You'll have to work up some dummy rounds and drop them in the barrel to see if they're chambering properly. I'll probably run them a bit shorter yet when I do a production run. And FWIW, those Missouri Smallballs are quite accurate, and virtually no leading. These bullets are quite inexpensive (under 5.7 cents each if you buy 3k), and, combined w/ their accuracy and virtually no leading, are my new best buddy.
Old March 27, 2010, 08:49 AM   #3
southerncomforthemi

Thanks that is just the input I needed.

I plan to go with 4.5 as a starting point.

Very VERY helpful ..thanks..
Old March 27, 2010, 10:16 AM   #4
mongoose33

I'd even go lower if I were you. You're pretty high for a starting load w/ 4.5, IMO. That's above the highest load I've tested w/ the Smallball, which is close to what you're using. I'd be starting around 4.0 and working up.

Whenever I post load data, I double check to ensure I haven't missed on something like grains or OAL. But you never know.

Also, this was run through my gun, through my chronograph. I believe that chronograph to be accurate to a reasonable level (I've run commercial ammo through it and gotten numbers that are reasonable), but in the end, this is all from my setup, my gun, might be different in your case.

All you really have here is some numbers on the internet, and everybody knows the internet is never wrong, correct?

So start low and work up. When I do this (and with WST you have to start low as there isn't much out there to rely on), I'll load just 3 or 5 rounds at the low starting value, shoot 'em through the chrono, and be sure I'm not heading off the charts. Then when I get closer to what I think will be a good load (and remember, this is before shooting anything yet), I'll work up 10-15 rounds so I can assess not only velocity but accuracy.

Anyway, good luck!
Old March 27, 2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Ozzieman

You can find a lot of loads for WST at the following web.

They show 124 Lead RN as Min:4.0 and MAX:4.7 GR.
I agree, you should start lighter than 4.5. If for no other reasion to find out how much leading you get if you have not shot them before and dont know how soft they are. Are they cast or swedged?
I would start closer to min and work up.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Old March 27, 2010, 12:28 PM   #6
southerncomforthemi

Ozzie....on the heat scale Bullseye is No 6, WST is 20, and WSF on the Hodgson site is 47.

Not disagreeing in any way with the views here to start on the lighter side best to be safe than sorry.

Good point about the bullets , they are professionally cast for our club and other locals.

Thansk for the input one and all.
Old March 30, 2010, 01:14 PM   #7
fixerupper

Ozz.....

Not to start a doonybrook...... but the 4.0 - 4.7 load on the Hodgdon sight is for WSF..... I dont think WST is even listed as a powder for 9mm there.... jacketed or lead.

I just loaded up Missouri Small Ball using WSF and remembered that range from Hodgdon.

I concur on starting at the minimums.

My load, MCB Smallball, mixed once fired brass, CCI small pistol, OAL at 1.095 out of my XD SC settled at 4.4 grains of WSF.