The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 8, 2010, 09:36 PM   #1
w_houle

I just had to scratch that itch...

Now I'm not sure how well I did, but it wasn't so much the price
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=159565194
I just simply had to have a Smith & Wesson 59
FFL has been sent as well as the money, so now it's just a matter of it coming here.
Old March 8, 2010, 09:49 PM   #2
KyJim

I think you just got a quality pistol at a very reasonable price. Congrats!
Old March 8, 2010, 09:51 PM   #3
rickyjames

lol, that's the first gun i bought in az many years ago. got mine with a safariland holsters and mag pouch with 2 extra mags. i still have it, never had a problem and i could hit 2 lt pop bottles at 50 yards with it. havn't shot it in awhile, i'll have to dust it off
Old March 8, 2010, 10:13 PM   #4
gearchecker

59 is an excellent pistol.

Congratulations, You did very well. The Model 59 is a solid pistol. Dozens of other S&W's were designed on the same platform. I have a 669 and it's my daily carry pistol. A bit big compared to what many of the members carry, but I can always count on it when I'll need it. Even if it's only at the range practicing. It is solid steel construction unlike the 2nd and 3rd gens with aluminum slides.

It's already broken in, so all you need to do is get used to the trigger break. It will be very precise and consistant. The trigger break will be perfect, smooth as silk, and will break like glass.
In the Standards Catalog it lists the Model 59 as a First Generation Double Action pistol. It's a modification of the original Model 39 9mm pistol by S&W. The Model 59 is first 9mm made in Double Action with a double stack magazine.

Enjoy your great find. You did very well on your purchase.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old March 8, 2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Teuthis

I like them too. I have some and they function flawlessly. I would rather have the Model 59 than the later models. I saw that one on Gun Broker and I think you got a good deal.