The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2008, 07:39 PM   #1
joshua9578

winchoke tubes?

hey guys. i just have a question regarding a winchester 1300 i have just picked up. when im not hunting deer i plan on shooting trap and skeet with this gun. i know it is probably not the best for either situation, but it was in my price range and it is a winchester, so i figured it would be dependable. anyways, as far as the chokes go on the barrel, is there a way to find out what model it is ( full, imp mod, mod, etc.), or if its what i need for shooting clay pigeons. i know there are different types, and technically they all work, but i am a beginner at trap and skeet, so the bigger the spread the better as far as targets go. any input would be appreciated. thanks. and by the way there are no letters or numbers on the current choke to try and decode to figure out what exactly it is. thanks again.
Old May 19, 2008, 07:31 AM   #2
joshua9578

should ijust purchase a set of new chokes to play it safe and not worry about figuring out what this gun came with?
Old May 19, 2008, 07:51 AM   #3
mikenbarb

Make sure gun is unloaded and take out the tube and it should say rite on the side of it. F=full, Mod.= modified, imp.cyl= improved cylinder. Full being the tightest and imp.cyl being the most open. Theres others but its proably a modified as thats what most guns come with from the factory. Try to get an Improved modified for trap and a "Skeet" or improved cylinder for skeet. Aftermarket tubes are a great option and many make specialty choke tubes for shooting sports. Good luck with the new shotty. Also, I think winchester may use a ring system on their tubes. 1,2, or 3 rings around the tube. I think 1 is full 2 is mod and 3 is imp. cyl.
Old May 19, 2008, 08:05 AM   #4
joshua9578

thank you