The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 26, 2010, 12:37 PM   #1
gaseousclay

how to prevent slipping of a rifle sling

I had a custom rifle sling made for my father in-law for x-mas but because it's leather and brand new I was concerned about the sling slipping on his shoulder rather than remaining stationary. is there any way to roughen the leather so that when the rifle is shouldered the sling will remain stationary? Would taking a bit of sandpaper to the inside of the sling help to roughen the leather so as to keep it from sliding around on the shoulder? any tips would be appreciated.
Old December 26, 2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Pat T

That could work, you could also maybe find a piece of swede at a craft store to have stitched or glued to the inside of the sling, that will give a nice grippy surface and look nice too.
Old December 26, 2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Doyle

I use a leather sling that has a thumb loop. Hooking your thumb into the loop keeps it from sliding and provides for a naturally comfortable carry.
Old January 7, 2011, 01:08 AM   #4
Ideal Tool

Hello, gaseousclay. Now I take no credit for this, as it's been in use for well over 100 years..sew a large button on the shoulder area of your hunting shirt or coat.
Old January 7, 2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I use a leather sling that has a thumb loop. Hooking your thumb into the loop keeps it from sliding and provides for a naturally comfortable carry.
+1. Even roughing up the leather won't ensure that it will stay slung over a shoulder. Even with my beat up, suede lined sling, I still walk with my thumb hooked on it to keep it in place.