The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2001, 02:35 PM   #1
matt.45

I recently started reloading .243. In most of the manuals it states that if you only neck size it can make the round more accurate. Although it did seem to make a slight difference in the accuracy department; it takes a lot of force to close my bolt. Am i doing something wrong or is this normal for neck sizing only?
Old February 9, 2001, 04:04 PM   #2
BBBBill

What rifle? If it is a Savage, I would say that is normal as their chambers run tight. Is the brass being returned to the same rifle or a different one? If you have more than one rifle, segregate the brass for each. You might also want to look at small base dies for any gun wit ha tight chamber. It made abig difference on my Savages. I can't speak to other rifles characteristics yet as I don't have enough experience with them.
Old February 9, 2001, 04:20 PM   #3
WalterGAII

Matt:

You do understand that you only necksize brass that's been fired from the rifle for which you're necksizing?? Also, after you've necksized a few times, it will probably be necessary for you to use a F.L. sizer to bump the shoulder back to spec.
Old February 9, 2001, 04:23 PM   #4
matt.45

thanks it's a rem 700. the brass is once fired
Old February 9, 2001, 04:35 PM   #5
Bogie

So, here's what you do...

If you can pull the firing pin stuff out of your bolt, do it. If you can't, order the tool from Sinclairintl.com. Trust me.

To "partial" FL size, screw your die into your press, but don't leave it up against the shellholder. Size a piece of brass, and see how the bolt handle feels. Still stiff? Screw the die in a little bit, and try again. When the bolt just BARELY resists being closed (with the innards out), you're there. Your brass won't grow a lot, and it'll always chamber easily. Set your lock ring on your die, and consider making a couple of reference scratches on your press/die (nail polish also works) to make sure you always use it the same way.

To neck size, get a good set of dies, such as the Reddings with the removable bushings, or the Lee collet dies, and get a body bump die for your caliber from Redding. You'll likely need to use it every so often as your brass expands and stiffens. I've NEVER had to body bump my .308 brass, and I've fired some stiff loads.