The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 2, 2013, 07:51 AM   #26
Silver00LT

Stay away from the Kel-tec...I ended up joining the crowd for having a crap gun. Luckily mine didn't "explode" like others have stated on reviews.

I went got a Glock 26 and never been happier since. LC9 I've heard good reviews about, but the chambered indent I was not found of, same with the double action trigger length.

My recommendations are: Glock 26 and the Ruger LC9 if the Glock is to pricey for you.
Old May 4, 2013, 08:13 PM   #27
zeke4351

"Pocket" 9mm recommendations ?

I haven't seen a small 9mm that I like as much as I do the Sig P938. The newer ones have all the bugs out and they are fun to practice with. If it has to be DAO I would go with the Sig P290 RS.
Old May 4, 2013, 08:15 PM   #28
Plumbnut

Kimber solo 9mm
Old May 4, 2013, 09:55 PM   #29
bikerbill

Been carrying a PM9 for almost 10 years, almost all of it pocket carry ... had it with me today in a Mika holster ... has never failed once, accurate at SD distances, easy to shoot (tho the grip pattern beats up your hand after 50-100 rds). Easy to take down and maintain ... the perfect pocket gun, IMHO ... and they have a cheaper version (CM9 mayber) with all the major features ...
Old May 5, 2013, 08:08 PM   #30
Silver00LT

When your mentioning pocket. Are you looking for small enough for only pocket?
Old May 5, 2013, 08:56 PM   #31
Redneckrepairs

I liked my first Kahr pm9 enough that i got a second one rather than a kimber solo after i shot a friends kimber .
Old May 5, 2013, 10:53 PM   #32
Rnbtexas

+1 for the PM9, but I'd like to try the Boberg
Old May 5, 2013, 11:10 PM   #33

How is the quality on the current guns from Kahr ? I've always like the all steel 9mm. Is the polymer stuff just as reliable ?
Old May 6, 2013, 09:46 AM   #34
ScotchMan

When I did the research, I decided on the Kahr CM9.

All the other choices are bigger, heavier, have poor design choices (Nano takedown?), are unreliable, or some combination of these things. The CM9 is not perfect, far from it. But I believe it is the best choice for a pocket 9.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 8, 2013, 03:25 PM   #35
baddarryl

On the CM9: Can that be carried in the rear pocket as easily? I carry a P3at daily as I work outside that way and is very comfy, but I don't like the gun. My main carry is a G19 IWB, but I do pocket at work a lot in this manner. That would be its purpose.

Last edited by baddarryl; May 8, 2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 03:33 PM   #36
Plumbnut

Range report on kimber solo later today. Stay tuned
Old May 10, 2013, 09:23 AM   #37
cajun47

s&w shield?
Old May 10, 2013, 04:09 PM   #38
ScotchMan

Quote:
On the CM9: Can that be carried in the rear pocket as easily? I carry a P3at daily as I work outside that way and is very comfy, but I don't like the gun. My main carry is a G19 IWB, but I do pocket at work a lot in this manner. That would be its purpose.
As easily as what? A P3AT? No. It is the smallest 9mm I'm aware of (maybe other than the Rohrbaugh R9), but it is still significantly larger than most .380s. In cargo shorts, the CM9 fits in my front pocket, but you can see it if you are looking. If you have a decent pocket holster, it just looks like a larger phone. I carry it without a pocket holster and do not worry about printing, and I am pretty sensitive to that normally.

In a rear pocket, I would say its a no-go. I just tried mine in jeans, and it does completely fit in the pocket. But it is thick enough that you can tell its there. If you were walking through a store and the pocket was exposed, I think someone behind you would be able to figure out whats going on.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old May 10, 2013, 04:11 PM   #39
Spats McGee
Staff

To the OP: how big are your pockets? If you ordinarily wear cargo pants with gargantuan pockets . . .
Old May 10, 2013, 05:29 PM   #40
tobnpr

Have an LC9, had a Kel-Tec PF9...
I had no issues with the Kel-Tec's reliability. Ate FMJ's and Hornady TAP FPD without any FTF's.

What I did have an issue with, was getting my trigger finger on the trigger...

The trigger guard is SMALL... if you've got man-sized hands, you have to bend your index finger unnaturally, and bring it into the trigger guard at an odd angle to get it to "fit". Not ergonomic at all. If you look at the LC9 and compare the trigger guards, you'll see.

Best bet is to go to a range that rents a variety, and see what fits you- and what you can shoot accurately.

The best carry gun is the one that you're accurate with.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 10, 2013, 05:43 PM   #41
wpsdlrg

How big are my pockets ? The same size as everyone else's pockets, of course. (What a curious question.)

Actually, I've more or less talked myself out of the "pocket" 9mm pistol...for now. I've looked about and handled as many as I can find, which meet my criteria. There was a gun show here last weekend, so I was able to handle lots of different models.

I talked myself out of it for one reason - $$. Prices are at RAPE levels, at least around here. Literally every model I looked at was at least $100 to $150 more than a few months ago (before the current national gun/ ammo insanity began). I simply don't feel like paying that kind of scratch for something that I CAN'T say that I really need.

Never say never, though.

As for which models I like most...and ones that I'd never buy.....

I despise Glocks.....so a G26 is (and always has been) right out.

The Boberg is a cutesy, over-priced bit of silliness. A solution in search of a problem.

The Kimber Solo is typical Kimber - priced as if it were made of gold.

Kel-Tecs just feel cheap.

The Sig Sauer P938 is SAO - just a mini 1911. I don't care for that - and it must be made of gold, considering the price.

The Ruger LC9 doesn't feel too bad, although the grip is a bit narrow for me (I know, it's designed that way for concealment).

I like the fit and feel of the Sig Sauer P290....but the price is ridiculous for such a simple design (over $600 around here).

I might have considered a Sig Sauer P250 sub-compact, because I really LIKE the design..... BUT the SC is only a bit smaller than the Compact - and too large for my purposes. I had a Compact version not long ago - and loved it (but I let it go). If Sig ever made a P250, with 3" barrel and sized accordingly (and priced appropriately), I'd be all over that. But, alas.....

The overall winner......and a TRUE champion, in my opinion, is the S&W CS9 (a subcompact 3rd generation S&W semi-auto, 3" barrel, single stack w/ 7 round mag, all metal....for those who don't know this one). Alas.....I HAD one, until a few months ago. I sold it to a friend, because he constantly drooled over it, he is small and it would obviously fit him better as an EDC, his wife (who I think the world of ) is learning to shoot, so it was a good fit for her, too. I do regret selling the CS9.....but I'm glad I put it in THEIR hands. Mixed feelings, in other words.

If I ever happen to run across another CS9.....at a good price....... (that ain't gonna happen, since the prices on these are climbing steadily). Oh well, cest la vie.

My thanks to all who tried to help with this, though.

Last edited by wpsdlrg; May 10, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:56 AM   #42
915A

Re: "Pocket" 9mm recommendations ?

Yeah prices are crazy now. I got our 290 right before the shelves went empty and prices went crazy. I hope you find something eventually.
Old May 11, 2013, 01:15 PM   #43
ddc

Quote:
How big are my pockets ? The same size as everyone else's pockets, of course. (What a curious question.)
Actually it is a very legitimate question. There are large differences in pocket sizes between all the various brands of blue jeans. The largest front pockets are easily twice the size of the smallest.

I wear Carhartts with fairly good size front pockets and regularly carry a Rohrbaugh R9s there.

My son in law wears designer jeans and I think he would have trouble carrying the Rohrbaugh's magazine. Ok, not quite that bad but still: big size difference with respect to pockets.
Old May 11, 2013, 02:31 PM   #44
Mausermolt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvTp2uuWNmY

here is a good tabletop review of some of the pistols discussed.
Old May 11, 2013, 02:40 PM   #45
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpsdlrg
The Boberg is a cutesy, over-priced bit of silliness. A solution in search of a problem.
If you're unable or not willing to spend for quality.....no need to make derogatory comments about a pistol you know little about. Perhaps further explanation is in order on how you arrived at the Boberg analysis?
Old May 11, 2013, 03:53 PM   #46
stephen426

I have a Glock 26 which I used to pocket carry without a holster. I bought the plug that goes behind the trigger as a safety. You can easily adjust the tension on the plug so it doesn't just pop out. I carried it behind my wallet to break up the outline. While I like the 10 round capacity, it is pretty thick for pocket carry.

I bought a Kahr MK9 based on reviews that Kahr's polymer pistols were not "up to snuff". While the dimensions are smaller than the Glock 26, it is a heavy little gun. The stainless on the frame is sub-standard as mine developed some light rusting. The slide did not show any signs of rust.

I could not deal with the weight of the MK9 so I decided to try out the PM9. That is the gun that I carry to this day. It fits easily in most of my pockets that have pleats. Do NOT pocket carry in pants that don't have pleats. You might as well wear jeans in that case.

I like the trigger on the Kahr MK9 and PM9. While it lacks second stripped capability, it resembles a light, very smooth double action trigger. Accuracy is more than acceptable and the sights are decent. Disassembly is very easy and the gun is a breeze to clean. I added the crimson trace trigger guard laser to mine and had to modify my Desantis Nemesis holster. (Good thing my mom taught me to sew )

The prices have come down from their initial lofty range of $650+ and you can pick up a used one in decent conditions for about $500. I know you mentioned that you have decided to put a hold on your search for a great pocket 9mm, but I figured I'd write this for others that may be interested.

One last thing I'd seriously consider: I don't know if anyone has tapped the slide and added a clip to it (or maybe they sell a back plate that accommodates a clip). I think having a clip and stuffing it in the waist band at 3 o'clock would be an awesome way to carry this little gun. If anyone knows of where I can get this, please let me know.
Old May 11, 2013, 04:08 PM   #47
stephen426

Just read up on the Boberg. It looks like a nice little picket pistol but it is rather pricey at $1349. The trigger guard pretty much end almost flush with the muzzle but it looks like there is a bit more overhang towards the back. I'm pretty sure this is to line it up with the butt of the gun and make it more packagable. I think it might shift the axis of rotation slightly further back making this gun flip more. This is just a theory and I have no experience with it. The grip angle also seems a little more angled than I am used to. It isn't quite as extreme as Ruger's Mark II, but it certainly looks more than my Kahr. If the grip angle wasn't angled back like that I seem little need to shift the trigger so far forward. At 5.1", it is only marginally smaller than the Kahr PM9 at 5.42". The Boberg is marginally thicker at .96" versus .90" for the Kahr.

All in all, I'll stick with the Kahr thank you very much.
Old May 11, 2013, 04:16 PM   #48
Ruger45LC

I've had good dealings with the Kahr PM9 and CM9. The CM9 is much cheaper and in my opinion it's just as good, and very accurate. If I was going to pack a pocket 9mm, I'd go with the CM9. I have more .40 ammo and prefer it anyways so I pocket a CM40.
Old May 11, 2013, 05:27 PM   #49
wpsdlrg

"If you're unable or not willing to spend for quality.....no need to make derogatory comments about a pistol you know little about. Perhaps further explanation is in order on how you arrived at the Boberg analysis?"

Rembrandt,

No need to get your undies in a wad. I owe neither you, nor anyone else, an explanation of my "Boberg analysis" (as you call it). Frankly, I wasn't impressed, especially given the lofty price. I stand by my comment that the Boberg is a "solution in search of a problem".

I should like to point out that the Boberg is in no way some official measure of "quality". If you like it, well, good for you. I didn't. So, get over it.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:04 PM   #50
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpsdlrg
It may seem like a curious question, but not all pockets are the same size. During the week, I wear a suit. If I wanted to pocket carry a 9mm in one of my suits, I could probably get away with an LC9, or something in that class. On the other hand, I have a pair of cargo pants with pockets large enough to pocket carry a Glock 19, if I wanted to do so.

Looking back over your posts, it seems as though you'll be back on the hunt for another CS9. Good luck in the search.