The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2005, 08:10 AM   #1
ricehombre

45acp +P Loads?

I seen a lot of articles on 45acp +P loads but would like to know what is considered "+P". I use 231, WST, Unique, and 7625 mostly. Is it 5.6 - 6gr 231 or do you have to go over the max? Unique at 7.5gr is uncomfortable to shoot. WST seems to be very accurate across the board but doesn't seem to feedback recoil with hotter loads. I've also noticed the newer manuals have increased the max a few grains on some powders. I've always stayed within the manuals min - max but was wondering how others judged +P loads.
Old December 21, 2005, 09:14 AM   #2
HSMITH

+P loads are listed as such in printed data, and should be cross checked with another manual just like every other load. Lots of manuals don't list +P loads, if your manuals don't list them and you want to load and shoot them get a couple manuals that do list +P loads.
Old December 21, 2005, 09:47 AM   #3
DAVID NANCARROW

Standard SAAMI max average pressure of 21000 psi.
+P is going to be 23000 psi.