The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 11, 2009, 07:51 PM   #1
bswiv

The yard yesterday.......

The tom is sort of a pet. He roosts on top of a big wire coop that is in a long fenced pin. He can fly but sticks around because, as best I can tell, he prefers the company of the goat and the pig that live in the pen. If you look hard you can see the pig in the background. Louann let's them tear up the yard occasionally...that's why they are out in the yard.

If you look hard, to the right and a little further back, you can see a truly wild hen. She showed up a couple of days ago. Even though it's mid July she has, as you can tell from the picture, got him all worked up. He's OLD and did not gobble much this spring compared to the last couple of years but in the last few days he's been hot for her.

So does this happen in the wild this late in the year? We see lots of turkeys around, actually saw a tom and a couple of jakes this morning on the way to the rifle range in Stark but I've not noticed any all puffed up. And never seen one do it during the hunting season, even back when I used to bow hunt ( September).

Old July 12, 2009, 08:37 AM   #2
VaFisher

Yes it happens in the wild just like in the semi wild. What a great site to see up close.