The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 2005, 08:24 PM   #1
Little Wolf

13 Pellet 00 Russian Buckshot

13 Pellets of POWER
That's this 12-ga. "00" Buckshot Ammo, a primo home-defense round. 13-pellet "00" buckshot in 2 3/4" 12-ga. shell. Zinc-plated steel casing, non-corrosive. Muzzle Velocity: 1,050 F.P.S.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this stuff? 13 pellets of 00 out of a 2 3/4" shell seems like awesome firepower. And at under 35 cents a shell, it seems hard to beat.
Old August 31, 2005, 10:48 PM   #2
Nnobby45

Don't know anything about that stuff, sorry--but it's reasonable to assume the recoil would be like other short magnum loads. Reliability is unknown, and I'd like to know more about the corrosive/non-corrosive aspects.

American made LE ammo, Low recoil 8 or 9 pellet 00 buck is awesome enough. It's reliable ammo, street proven, and the low recoil offers quick follow up shots. It can be purchased by the case OL at reasonable cost. Try Ammoman.

Having said that, never hurts to TEST new types of ammo and learn something.
Old September 1, 2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Little Wolf

13 pellets of 00 is better than 9 or 8. Reduced recoil = reduced power. Recoil is not an issue or problem for me, so if there is slightly more recoil with these shells than it is a moot point. Besides, steel hulls are better and more durable than plastic ones.
Old September 2, 2005, 03:49 AM   #4
Nnobby45

Good luck

Quote:
13 pellets of 00 is better than 9 or 8. Reduced recoil = reduced power. Recoil is not an issue or problem for me, so if there is slightly more recoil with these shells than it is a moot point. Besides, steel hulls are better and more durable than plastic ones.
Sounds like your mind is made up. Be advised that your 13 pellet Russian ammo @ 1050 fps is slower than low recoil Tactical ammo that averages between 1100 and 1150fps in my 18" barrel with different brands. With plated shot in Federal Tactical, penetration is excellent, and recoil is more than just a little less than short mag or even standard loads.

All heavy short mag loads have less velocity. It's impossible to get that much shot moving very fast.

Tactical ammo makes up for less shot by producing tighter patterns, since they use good wad systems. 9 pellets is standard and has worked fine for many years.

If you get a chance to dissect one of those steel Russian loads, let us know what you find. I wonder if they even use a plastic wad. I don't know how hard steel cases are on extractors, but I'll bet if one sticks in the chamber, they're really stuck. Also, maybe you could give us a report on the feed reliability of those heavy steel cases that will be rubbing against the inside of the mag tube. Hopefully, they'll feed and eject--including rapid fire. That zinc coating should prevent any problems, I hope. Hope you can give a brief report on any pattern tests.

You deserve some thanks for being a pioneer in the use of steel Russian cheap ( I mean economical) ammo. Can't wait to hear from you
Old September 2, 2005, 08:57 AM   #5
kymasabe

Can't remember where I saw it but someone was selling home defense ammo kinda like buckshot but it was lead discs. Looked like dimes stacked in the shell. Interesting idea but not sure I'd want to try it, would be afraid of it jamming. Anyway...Wolf Ammo now makes 12 gauge buckshot and it's cheap. You might want to look at that too. I think www.sportsmansguide.com carries it.
Old September 2, 2005, 10:00 AM   #6
308Enfield

Safetydisc

I've seen the stuff you're talking about, Safetydisc

The pictures they have of ballistic clay on the website are pretty impressive, but then again its their test pictures on their website, so who knows? I think they provide free evaluation samples of the ammo to LE, maybe a helpful TFL member can get some to try out and let us know about it
Old September 8, 2005, 10:07 PM   #7
Little Wolf

Ok, I just got them in today and tried cycling them through a few different shotguns, though I haven't fired them yet.

A couple major things I noticed.....

#1. For some reason, the last shell in the mag tube will only HALFWAY extract from the tube and create a jamming situation.... All of the previous shells will load fine except the last one, which gets stuck halfway through causing me to have to break down the shotgun to free it. An interesting note is that this problem can be solved by putting a regular shotshell as the first shell in the tube, but why should you have to bother with that?

I was thinking that it may be one of my shotguns, BUT, I tried cycling them in THREE different guns. An 870 police, a Benelli M3, and an 870 Super Mag. All would only halfway extract the last shell causing a jamming situation.

#2. These shells are LONG. A lot longer than the supposed 2 3/4" length they are supposed to be. In fact, they are actually even LONGER than a standard 3" shell! They are so long that I can fit more 3" shells in my guns than I can these! For example, my 870 super magnum can usually fit six 2 3/4", six 3" shells in the tube, or five 3 1/2" shells in the tube. I can only fit FIVE of these russian shells in my gun, the same ammount as 3 1/2" shells!!

My benelli M3 usually fits five 2 3/4" or 3" shells. It would only fit FOUR of the russian shells in the tube!

In my 870 Police, I can usually fit seven 2 3/4" shells or six 3" shells in the tube. I could only fit six of the Russian shells.

I wonder how hot these are loaded, and how well they pattern. I did open up one of the shells and maybe it's just me, but the pellets seem to look slightly smaller than regular 00. More like 0 size. Could just be me, though.

Any comments, opinions, or advice?
Old September 9, 2005, 12:29 AM   #8
Casp_A

Just to make sure, you do realize that the 2.75" or 3" length on a star-crimped plastic shell applies after the shell has been fired and the crimping has been blown out, right? Before firing the're usually about 3/8" shorter than marked length. So a 2 & 3/4" shell before firing is about 2 & 3/8" and a 3" shell would be 2 & 5/8". Obviously, since these shells are full metal and therefor not crimped, the're a full 2 & 3/4" before firing. Also, I'm pretty sure 0 shot is bigger than 00 shot. Do you mean 000?
Old September 9, 2005, 05:10 AM   #9
Little Wolf

Heh, 000 shot is .36 caliber, 00 is 33.

And I know how shotgun shells work

These shells are longer than roll crimped S&B 00 buck. Heck, they are even longer than fired 3" shells. I'd take a picture for you to see if I still had my digital camera, but trust me, these shells are LONG.
Old September 9, 2005, 10:58 PM   #10
Nnobby45

Hmmm

You did good, Little Wolf. Don't forget the pattern testing. Longer in size than fired 3"? Whooa!

CASP A: Buckshot in ascending order of size is #4, #1, 0, 00, 000. Don't know if 0 buck is even available.