The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 25, 2009, 08:12 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

.44 bounces off hog skull WARNING!!!

WARNING!!! THE FOLLOWING VIDEO HAS SOME POTTY MOUTH WORDS!!!!
For anyone who wishes to claim to know ANYTHING about what rounds to use on a charging hog, I present the following video.
The cuss words are pretty justified as the .44 rounds bounced off a small hog.
Now ya'll see why I will use nothing under .30-30 in c-fire rifle but prefer the blunt force trauma that a shotgun slug offers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI0l2...eature=related
Brent
Old July 25, 2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Hellbilly5000

that is a small hog too
Old July 25, 2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Fat White Boy

It is better to shoot them in the ear to coup 'em...
Old July 25, 2009, 08:20 PM   #4
SAIGAFISH

Iron hog

What the %%$#$%%. How is that possible did he have light loads
or what.
Old July 25, 2009, 08:22 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For the wild stuff I catch, I have the liberty to just put a pellet rifle or .22lr barrel over into the cake and pop them at a perfect 90* degree angle and it makes a right fine little hole right into the "think tank". I never woulda thunk a .44 would bounce off from under 6 feet like that though... specially on a small pig that don't even warrant the term "hog" in the hog dogger world.
Brent
Old July 25, 2009, 08:23 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

saiga, As you see, the powder charge was enuff to fully mushroom the bullet...
Brent
Old July 25, 2009, 08:59 PM   #7
MLeake

Informative video...

... and useful, but would have been more so if the .44 bullets being used had been identified. Saw a guy make a mess using 240gr JHP (mess = wounded hog that almost got away)... I wonder what would have happened with HC.

That said, I hope the antis don't find the video. The guys laughing at the wounded hog aggravated me, and I hunt every so often. I can just imagine my sister's response...
Old July 25, 2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Daryl

No way for me to know, but my guess is Speer Gold Dot bullets or the equivalent (probably about 180-200 grain) loaded in .44 special cases, or to .44 special velocities.

If that had been a heavy JSP instead of a fragile hollow point, and loaded to top velocity, it would have been a different story I'm thinkin'.

Ditto for a good cast bullet.

I've shot a lot of various stuff with 300 grain JSP's from my .45 Colt Vaquero, and the bullets don't do that. They'll shatter solid rock as big as a basketball.

Who knows though? I've seen some strange things happen to bullets over the years.

Daryl
Old July 25, 2009, 09:58 PM   #9
SAIGAFISH

Ya you are right that bullet was fully mushroomed huh.
Hogs do have a pretty thick scull plate thow i think the
kill shot from the front is farly low in between snout and brow
but im not real sure .no hogs in oregon,thank you jebus
Old July 25, 2009, 10:14 PM   #10
Yithian

And you guys and gals didn't believe me when I said I bounced a 30-30 LeveRevolution off a grow sows head at 10 feet!

Now I stick with semiautomatics. More bullets downrange is a good thing.
Old July 26, 2009, 05:07 AM   #11
wyobohunter

If Wyobohunter ever goes hog huntin'

Wyobohunter brings 45-70 w/hard cast bullets.
Old July 26, 2009, 06:40 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

I believe that if you look closely, you will see that the "bullet" is just a jacket. Check out the video when they zoom in on it on the ground and will will see a split nearly to the base and no lead showing. Jackets sometimes strip off when entering hard materials.
Old July 26, 2009, 06:57 AM   #13
Dragon55

When I was growing up 'out in the sticks' I used to help this old guy kill hogs for people. They paid him to kill, gut, and hang them up.

Anyway. he always used a little .22 bolt action after I got one hemmed up for him. He would put the muzzle an inch or so below the eyes and the hog would drop straight down.

Once, he had a little automatic of some kind.... I'm guessing a .25?? Anyway when he shot this old sow it just made her mad. He said, "Boy, go get that rifle from the truck".
30 minutes later when I had finally corralled her again he dropped her as always.

.......... Also, although these folks paid him for this task it was sort of traditional for them to give him a good size slab of the tenderloin. He also gave me a couple of these at days end. This was better than the money he paid me.

Ahh for the good ol' days.
Old July 26, 2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Hawg

I once saw a guy shoot a hog with a 30-30. She charged him and he just stood there cranking rounds out of that 30-30 til she fell dead at his feet. He hit her six times.
Old July 26, 2009, 09:27 AM   #15
freedom475

Yeah...I was pretty much disrespected by guys who obviously new very little on the subject, when I reported my findings of a 9MM on hogs.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=335720

I aggree that a hard cast in the 44 would offer a different story.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old July 26, 2009, 09:36 AM   #16
MLeake

freedom475

Your round of choice wasn't the issue. Your post had made it seem like .22LR was a superior penetrator over a 9mm. You were making an apples and oranges comparison, though; 9mm from frontal between the eyes, vs a butcher's shot with a .22 through the side of the head.

The 9mm would have worked from that position, too. I think that's why you caught flack on that thread. Neither one is a good hunting round for hogs, but either can work in very limited circumstances. It is very dependent on your ability to put the round consistently in a particular area of the head.

The frontal plate isn't a good idea for most handguns, and apparently for some rifles, too.
Old July 26, 2009, 09:37 AM   #17
Magi

I would be using FMJ's...
Old July 26, 2009, 10:19 AM   #18
freakshow10mm

It's easy to speculate about cartridge choice but the bullet selection is one I'm more concerned about.

A 150gr 30-30 from a rifle has 1903fpe and the 170gr has 1774fpe. The 240gr jacketed bullet from a 44 pistol has 1334fpe and the 300gr has 1170fpe. There is roughly a 575-600fpe difference in muzzle energy. The .44 Magnum is well respected as the big game handgun cartridge. I don't think the cartridge is to blame here, it's the bullet choice.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:08 AM   #19
MLeake

FPE isn't the end all...

... if it were, then a 180gr JHP would spank a 305gr HC out of a .44mag. FPE is affected more by velocity than mass.

Penetration is affected more by shape, hardness, and sectional density. The 305gr hammerhead HC I use in a .44 will easily outpenetrate a 240JHP or JSP.

So I agree with Freakshow that it can be more about bullet construction than cartridge selection, but I'm a bit confused by the bullet choices in his example.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:15 AM   #20
LukeA

I think this is either a hoax or the jacket didn't penetrate the skull but the lead core did.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:29 AM   #21
PT111

Quote:
When I was growing up 'out in the sticks' I used to help this old guy kill hogs for people. They paid him to kill, gut, and hang them up.

Anyway. he always used a little .22 bolt action after I got one hemmed up for him. He would put the muzzle an inch or so below the eyes and the hog would drop straight down.
Growing up I watched my Grandfather take many a hog with a little bolt action .22 and he would shoot from about 3 feet. The only time one didn't drop the hog immediately was when it turned just as he shot and it bounced off and hit another one. Both hogs started struggling and we had to butcher two that day instead of the one we had planned.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:33 AM   #22
deadcoyote

I dont know how many foot lbs it has ....

But I've always used the cheap rifled remington 1 oz slugs in 16 gauge to kill hogs. It only takes one, but i've also never shot one in the head, just broadside it in the vitals.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:44 AM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am not 100% positive it isn't staged. If it were staged using 2 blanks first they did real good matching the reports with the 3rd being a live round.

I will say that the separated jacket theory is out of the realm of possibility. 2 rounds to the head suffering a separation of jacket but penetration of core would have left a hog live and awake sharpening his tusks right before the final shot that obviously does penetrate and kill.
easy to fake though... a little handy camera work to allow for dropping a previously retrieved mushroomed round for the next camera shot.
Brent
Old July 26, 2009, 12:13 PM   #24
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

This is why I prefer JFP over JHP. Might be a moot point in a SD situation but I am a handgun hunter and prefer my bullets to go in before they open up. Knew a guy who always took out his hogs with a 38 scl without a hitch. One year switched to 357 and it took 3 shots. I think it was the difference between his 158 gr LRN which worked and his 125 gr JHP which didn't. Energy numbers sometimes lie to you.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 26, 2009, 12:13 PM   #25
ammo.crafter

oink

I did have a hog that took five rounds from a 41mag at close range. switched to 444 Marlin with 300 gr hard cast. No fun running thru the wood with 300 pounds of ribs closing in fast.
Much prefer to have 'em on the BBQ