The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 23, 2012, 12:58 PM   #1
mordis

Holster advice.

Hey guys, i found this online store selling holsters for my k frame revolver. I was wondering if anyone had any input on this specific holster or any others that might be a better for concealed carry for my 4" gun. Thanks guys..

The gun still at the smithy, apparently the line is long and im at the back...
Cant wait to get this project finished.
Old June 23, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2
CarbineWilliams

I have an Uncle Mike's holster for my SRH. Not exactly concealed, but between that and my UM range bag I can say that quality-wise I'm really happy. Great material, great workmanship, and good price.

BTW, what is the 'specific' holster you're looking at?

I bet the 'Bianchi 7000 Black Sporting Holster Fits S&W K Frame 4" ' is good. We had Bianchi's for our M9's and they stood up to a lot of abuse and always worked, and they were easy to clean as well.

Last edited by CarbineWilliams; June 23, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old June 23, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3
savit260

I use Simply Rugged holsters for my ccw revolvers ranging from a Colt Cobra on the small side up to a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 45 Colt. A 4" midframe is a breeze to conceal with the optional inside out straps. Can be worn OWB or IWB.
Old June 23, 2012, 05:42 PM   #4
mordis

Ok, i ment to post a link, to the company and the holster, but forgot to. here it is now. http://www.theholsterstore.net/produ...p?pid4524.html

Thanks for the suggestions keepem commin, ill look into them. I just dont want to spend a fortune on holsters
Old June 23, 2012, 06:51 PM   #5
CarbineWilliams

Hey, that looks like a good choice. A quick review of reviews on those says the only issue you might that you will have to touch up the finish on the wear spots. People seem to like 'em though.
Old June 23, 2012, 07:58 PM   #6
edfrompa

Milt Sparks.
Old June 23, 2012, 11:02 PM   #7
BarryLee

Quote:
I use Simply Rugged holsters for my ccw revolvers

Lots of options, but I have been pretty happy with the Simply Rugged Pancake holster for my M66.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 23, 2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Super Sneaky Steve

I like crossbreed but I guess any similar style will do. The big slab of leather with the two hooks is the secret to all day comfort.
Old June 24, 2012, 08:49 AM   #9
mordis

Simply rugged has some nice products. Looks like they have top of the line holsters for everything from open carry owb to iwb. Man they are expensive tho, sure hope its worth the money.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:54 AM   #10
savit260

$70 -$100 isn't really expensive for a custom made holster that will last a lifetime.

I must admit, the holster in the link looks like a good design, and for $29, I'd give it a try. You never know, it could be great, but quality holsters usually cost a good bit more than that.

I'd rather have one good $100 holster that works, than 4 $30 holsters that only do a so-so, barely passable (or not passable at all) job.

IME...the cheap-0 holsters typically left me frustrated because they did a lousy job pulling the gun in tight for CCW duty.

Don't forget a nice stiff heavy belt. The BEST holster in the world , hung off a flimsy belt isn't going to work well at all.

If you go through a bunch of holsters that don't work...spending $70 for one that DOES indeed work, seems like a bargain.

Here's a pic of a Ruger Blackhawk IWB Simply Rugged. This can be concealed under an untucked T shirt.
Old June 25, 2012, 08:18 PM   #11
mordis

Looks real nice mate, how is reholstering? Does the lips stay open for ease of reholstering? Last holster i had for this gun was a bianchi widow and that was a horrid thing. Maybe going cheap on my holsters is not the answere..
Old June 27, 2012, 08:53 PM   #12
savit260

It can be reholstered with one hand, but I usually use my off hand to pull the outer lip out just a tiny bit to make it easier.