The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 7, 2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Rogmatt

1860 Parts Interchangability

I bought a dirty ASM 1860 with brass frame for 70.00 . The Brass grip, trigger guard, and main frame seems to have rough cosmetics from the factory, but structurally is fine. I have heard that it is best to replace old ASMs with Uberti internals. I would like to hear if anyone here has done that and had success putting Uberti or Pietta parts oon an ASM 1860.
Thanks for any help.
Old May 7, 2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

As Ronald Reagan always said, "Well..."

I can't be of much assistance on the 1860 model but I found that Pietta parts can be fitted (with some filing) for an 1863 Remington and an 1858 Remington from ASM.

ASM parts are becoming hard to get.
Old May 7, 2010, 09:44 AM   #3
simonkenton

These guys sell the parts for all the guns, and they really know their stuff.
Call them up and they will give you the scoop.

vtigunparts.com/
Old May 7, 2010, 10:09 AM   #4
w_houle

+1 on the VTI. Not sure about Uberti, but I do have an 1851 ASM and an 1851 Pietta and can say that their parts will not swap.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Yes and also......

.....Deer Creek may still have some ASM parts.

6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182
765-525-6181

I had some info that the number had canged but I just tried it and the answering machine message still says Deer Creek Products.

This seems like a mom and pop operation. The folks (including Mom) know their products and are helpful and fun to deal with.
Old May 7, 2010, 07:26 PM   #6
Delmar

Quote:
I had some info that the number had canged but I just tried it and the answering machine message still says Deer Creek Products.
The area code changed years ago, but that would have been more than a decade ago, I think.
Old May 9, 2010, 03:54 PM   #7
sebou

Hi all
Rogmatt

To repair any black powder revolver from the Italian manufacturers, It's preferable to buy the same brand, but the year of manufacturing could change some process and parts products... Then, i tell you to buy parts you needed to repair your revolver and made your own ajusting on it. That ever like that with black powder revolver.... I can say you that i have did it on ASM (1990) 1851. I have changed the brass frame with Uberti (1974) and mixed the mecanics with PIETTA - UBERTI - ASM. The revovler is ok and nice to fire. I have some trouble to found a good hammer, but that all !
good job...

seb