The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2000, 09:22 AM   #1
wildcat

I recenty put together a .338 win mag on a 98 action.I built it a little on the lite side it weighs just 8 lbs. with scope sling and full mag. It also kicks like a government mule,while this is not a problem for me in a hunting situation ,I like to shoot my hunting rifles alot at targets from all positions.Does anyone ahave any pet loads that would help me reduce the recoil for target shooting ? I dont mind a change in zero as I always site in with my hunting load just before the season.Please don't tell me to add a brake as I don't carry hearing protection while hunting.
Old March 9, 2000, 10:44 PM   #2
dundee

I experimented with imr 4895 and the speer 200 gr spire point. Remington primers in all loads. 55 gr of 4895 was ok but had vertical dispersion, 57 grains was good-2.7-3.0" round groups at 200 yds. but 59 gr was only a slightly larger group (more vertical stringing) but it shoots to the same point of impact as the Fed 210 nostler factory loads. I decided to go with the 59 gr. load as my practice load. This is with a Browning 338 mag.