The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 26, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Liam38

1851 navy action job

I have a uberti 1851 navy and over time I've had to replace some parts and now I'm noticing the action is really not what it used to be at all. So it's pretty bad and now I'm looking into action jobs I found one from Bozeman trail arms and heard good things about Tom Sargis there. But they are asking $175 and while that doesn't seem too bad I am on a STRICT budget and was wondering if anyone knew of anything cheaper or if I should start saving pennies. Responses are apreciated and Thank you.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:11 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

What's wrong with it? Timing, roughness or what? I'm pretty sure the guys here can walk you through fixing it.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Liam38

Thanks for the reply. And the actions pretty rough the timing isn't bad ocasionally it will over rotate a little but one major problem is after I had a new hand and spring assembly installed in the gun wouldn't cock without alot of pulling on the hammer.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Bishop Creek

I can't remember now who did the action job on my Pietta 1858 Remington around ten years ago or so but what a difference! At the time paid $125 to have it done. In addition to cutting the forcing cone to 11 degrees (more accurate now), the action was smoothed and the cylider pin cut to hold more lube. Cocks and fires like a much more expensive pistol than an off the shelf Cabela's model.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Hawg

A new hand has to be fitted. They are not drop in parts.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Liam38

The hand was fitted by gunsmiths I just think that it was not their area of expertise.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Beagle333

In my experiences in parts, new hands and also bolt legs are too long on new ones (probably on purpose) and must be fitted (read: filed) down to fit the intended revolver. But go slowly on it, because you can always take it out and file it again, but if you get impatient and take too much off, ya cain't put it back.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:58 PM   #8
woodnbow

Gary at cartridgeconversion.com is pretty fairly priced and specializes in C&B and Single Actions. I'd go there first...

Last edited by woodnbow; March 26, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

You might try Alan Harton in Houston, TX. He did a wonderful job on a pair of 2nd Gen '51s of mine. Fixed everything that was wrong with them.

Alan Harton
8822 Jackwood St.
Houston, TX 77036
713-907-6031
[email protected]
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 27, 2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

Quote:
uberti 1851 navy and over time I've had to replace some parts
That is most puzzling. They are very simple, very study mechanisms. There is not much that can go wrong with them.
Single actions are not complicated. I suggest you take it apart look for parts that might be broken and order replacements. On reassembling simply stone all edges and especially surfaces that touch other parts.
IMHO, $100.00 or more to tune up one of these is, in diplomatic terms, good business if you can get it.
Old March 27, 2013, 10:32 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

This has already been mentioned by Beagle333

The top of the hand needs to be shortened. It is engaging the ratchet too soon.

Let me think some more on it.
Old March 27, 2013, 11:20 AM   #12
TemboTusk

I agree with Rifleman. This pistols are not that complicated, although the many small parts can be intimidating at first. Tuning up your fist 1851 or Walker is kind of liberating and fun.

I found these two YouTube videos very helpful before attempting my first full disassembly; it help in understanding where all the parts go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au-d3SbELvQ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrVHTxohBvU

I occasionally refer back to these videos as a refresher before diving in!
Old March 27, 2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Fingers McGee

While smoothing and fitting parts into a single action is a pretty simple operation, performing an action job is a bit more complicated. It could entail building up and reprofiling the internals that is beyond the capabilities of kitchen table gunsmiths. I've been smoothing fitting all my C&Bs for years; but I don't have the tools or expertise to do a full on action job. I leave them to the professionals.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 27, 2013, 12:42 PM   #14
woodnbow

I agree with Fingers...

It's one thing to slick up a functioning sixgun. if parts need to be replaced they'll need to be fitted to the gun. I'm not confident in doing so. $100.00 is cheap to get a favorite gun back in the game.
Old March 27, 2013, 01:03 PM   #15
DPris
Member Emeritus

And Tom does good work.
Denis
Old March 27, 2013, 09:36 PM   #16
Hellgate

If you saved the old hand you can try to duplicate its shape on the new one. Otherwise I try to save the old hand and just replace the spring with part of one of my daughter's bobby pins. I've got at least two fixed like that and so far, so good. They need to be staked in to stay.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)